5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 12:21 PM by David W. Goodrich

SimHei (Chinese Character) Bold?

Choi. J. T. Level 1

Hi all.

I am using Indesign CS 5.5. And I have a problem with using SimHei character.

1. Indesign does not support "Bold" charater with SimHei.

Why doen not support? (Framemaker support "Bold".) Is there any method to use SimHei Bold?

2. If it is impossible to use SimHei Bold, I want to know to make a Chinese bold character instead of SimHei.

(It will be better if font is similar to SimHei and  no need to be licensed.)

Please reply for thiese questions. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: SimHei (Chinese Character) Bold?
          Ellis home Level 4

It looks that from the fonts that come with Indesign (I'm using CC), only Microsoft Yahei and Microsoft Yahei UI has Bold. Have you tried those?

• 2. Re: SimHei (Chinese Character) Bold?
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ellis  is right about Yahei being the a Simplified Chinese font that has both regular and bold faces. They don't come with ID, but rather with, um, either Win7 or Office 2007 or later, can't remember which right now.

I don't remember Framemaker being willing to fake a bold on a Chinese font, but it's been a while since I handled any Chinese in Frame. But that's what it would have been - faking a bold by adding a stroke. It's also what MS Word does when you whack Control+B when you have some SimHei selected; it fakes a bold. Just as it fakes an oblique by adding some slant if you whack Control+I.

If you would really rather use SimHei, you can get exactly what you would have gotten from Word (or, I guess, Framemaker, assuming my memory is incorrect) by making a character style that adds a thin black stroke to the character. You can even do a find/replace to search for [Bold] and replace with your new character style. I don't advise it - too easy to hide fine strokes if you use too much stroke. Yahei bold is a much better choice, in my honest opinion. But I don't really read the language, so my honest opinion may be bunk.

• 3. Re: SimHei (Chinese Character) Bold?
              David W. Goodrich Level 3

ID comes bundled with Japanese fonts offering several weights.  Obviously, the character sets and some of the glyphs differ so you have to know what you're doing, but for headings and other limited uses a professionally-designed Japanese bold can be a quick and easy substitute for Chinese.  Alternatively, there are the fonts offered by Arphic, Dyancom, and others listed on the Chinese Mac site, where the whole discussion of Chinese fonts is very useful regardless of platform.

David

• 4. Re: SimHei (Chinese Character) Bold?
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Good point, David. More than once I've sat at my workstation with my translator behind me, as we combed through text set in Kozuka Gothic Pro, and every time he said "Hey! That one is wrong, that's a Japanese character!" through clenched teeth, I'd open the Glyphs panel and there would be an alternate available that would cause him to sigh with relief.

I never figured out how to automate it, but they're in there. However, I suspect that the alternates are suitable for Trad Chinese, maybe not Simplified. That's been my experience, anyhow.

• 5. Re: SimHei (Chinese Character) Bold?
                  David W. Goodrich Level 3

A fair number of Simplified Chinese characters mirror glyphs already present among the earlier jōyō kanji simplified Japanese forms, not too surprising as both tend to follow abbreviations common in handwriting.  But some are unique to Chinese, and some trad. Japanese forms differ noticeably from the corresponding Trad. Chinese chars.  Still, one of the joys of the Kozuka fonts bundled with ID is that together with ID they implement Opentype's "alternate forms" feature, so you can use the Glyphs Pallet to see alternates and select what fits; I've used this as a quick-and-dirty way to convert Trad. Chinese chars. to Simp. encoding.  Of course, the other great aspect of the Kozuka fonts is the variety of weights.

IIRC, AdobeSong's alternates allows changing Simp. to Trad., but often not the other direction.  The same may also be true for some of the Arphic OTF offerings, but most CJK fonts, including SimHei, don't include this convenience.

David