10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 9:33 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?

aludog

I have tried many things to get avc1 h.264 video to render in preview and play smooth, but nothing works.

the video was shot with a canon dslr eos 70d at 1920 X 1080 at 29.97 frames per second.

aspect ratio 16:9.

I have changed settings in file, new to dslr 1080 accordingly,but nothing changes.

How can I work with this video?

All other video formats render previews just fine.

Thanks

JB

• 1. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

aludog

What are the properties of your source...is that 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive or interlaced from per second?

What is the audio...Stereo or 5.1 channel?

What is the project preset of this project?

When you drag your source to the Expert workspace Timeline, is there an orange line over its content. (I am not referring to the orange line that runs horizontally across the middle of the video clip.)

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

Let us start here. We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What issues do you have with both Rendering the Timeline (for smoothest playback), and your playback?

For AVCHD (and all H.264 material), what are the specs. of your computer? H.264 is CPU intensive, even when the Timeline has been Rendered.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

aludog

While I am thinking about this, please indicate how you are intending to export your Timeline...burn to disc or export to file saved to the computer hard drive.

Depending on how things go with your previewing of the rendered Timeline in the Edit area (based on correct project settings), I may ask you to export your Timeline to determine if the Edit area previewing problems extend to the quality of the end product. The ultimate judge of quality is in the export.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
                aludog Level 1

the project preset was ntsc -avchd full HD 1080i 30. This did not work so I started a new project and chose DSLR 1080 29.97 fps and that did not work either

the source video says 1920 X 1080 but does not say i or p....I checked the camera settings and the video with gspot

audio is sowt: 16-bit signed little-endian       48000Hz 

there are no render color lines above the time line........no green, no orange.

Toshiba C55DA  with Windows 8

AMD Quad Core  A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD graphics  2 Ghz

6 GB RAM

64 bit operating syste, x64 based  processor

As mentioned, AVCHD video from another camera edits just fine, and I've imported QT movies in DV that also render and edit.

The only problem is with the video from the Canon eos 70D

Thank you for your help!

JB

• 5. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
                  aludog Level 1

the final export to mpeg for computer viewing and burning to dvd is also poor quality.

lines are jagged and 'ring'.

definitely not clear and proper.

thanks

jb

• 6. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
                    aludog Level 1

the camer manual says it is 1920 X 1080 All I, compressing one frame at a time.

thanks

jb

• 7. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

aludog

I check the specifications for the Canon 70D. I am 99.999% sure that you are shooting 1080p30.

So your project preset should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30 @29.97 (use the latter if you are sure about the 29.97 progressive frames per second).

Set the project preset manually before you import your video. To do that, File Menu/New/Project, set the project preset, exit the new project dialog after you put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then import your video and determine if there is no colored line, green line, or orange line over the Timeline content for that video. If the project preset is a match, we would expect to see "no colored line".

Specifically what is the video doing in the preview that is problematic.

I have something for you to try...right click the video on the Timeline (no color line)...select Time Stretch and set the Speed % to 99. You will then get an orange line over the video on the Timeline. Now render the Timeline content to turn the orange line to green. Is the playback of the video in the Edit mode monitor now  better, the same, or worse?

Now, I want you to export that Timeline content to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080 p30. What does the playback of that export look like in your computer player?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
                        aludog Level 1

OK, we are half way there, thank you!

I was missing that box to force the setting on the project.

Once I did that and picked the right settings, the clip went on the time line with a green line above, and rendered out upon request.

What was happening? The audio would play right, but the video would skip many frames in the preview viewer, and since it would not render, it was near impossible to work with except frame by frame.

I am exporting the test clip to the specs you asked for and will let you know what I find.

Thanks again!

jb

• 9. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
                          aludog Level 1

playback was stellar. Thanks again.

I have one more question before I go: I have a fairly extensive library of footage going back to Beta SP through the HD revolution on tape to this current date.

How does one import media from many sources on to one time line?

It seems to me that the way PE 12 is set up, you can only import from one source at a time.

I assume you must save each source time line in a same format and then re-import to create the final product, but this seems like a lot of mucking around...?

Please advise and thanks again. You saved my day. I was afraid this computer was the issue and it is just past the date to be able to return it!

jb

• 10. Re: How do I render DSLR video in preview in premier elements 12?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jb

Great news. Great job.

Premiere Elements offers the opportunity for one project preset. And, the project preset is supposed to match the properties of the source media. When you have a mix of resolutions and aspect ratios, then priorities need to be set. Typically, one source is set as prime and all the rest fitted in to the project settings.

Considerations involve black borders as tolerable or scaling to make fits and other.

I will think about this some more and add on to this in the morning.

Thanks.

ATR