6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 12:17 PM by frogo369

Building PC

Crixus

I am building a PC for video editing and would love to have some input from you all regarding the graphics Card.

My Build has the following Specs

Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition

Processor: Intel Core i7 4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz (3.9GHz Turbo), LGA 2011, 10MB Cache, 130W Quad Core

RAM: Corsair Vengeance - 32GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (4 x 8GB)

VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Super-clocked 3GB

Does Adobe support/work with the the VGA mentioned. I have heard that some 600s and 700s series is not supported. Did any one of you with the same card have any problems and what alternative cards did you use? I don't want to spend more than $800 for the card but I do want to get the best ones that this amount of money can buy.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Building PC
          cc_merchant Level 4

That card is overkill on the system you mention. A GTX 660 Ti is more appropriate. See Tweakers Page - Balanced Systems

• 2. Re: Building PC
            Crixus Level 1

Thanks cc_merchant,

I play games a little on the side too, I am hoping that this card would also satisfy the current gaming requirements and also the Adobe applications?

• 3. Re: Building PC
              cc_merchant Level 4

The GTX 780 Ti is a fabulous card, but only a marginal part of its power can be used on the system you described, most of the time, it will be idle, waiting for the rest of the system to catch up. Games are better done on a separate system, not on an editing machine.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Building PC
                Crixus Level 1

hmmmm..... good point to think about..... looks like the GTX 780 Ti can reach its full potential only when it's overclocked. Thanks for your suggestion.

• 5. Re: Building PC
                  cc_merchant Level 4

and have more cores and more L3 cache and more disk I/O speed.

• 6. Re: Building PC
                    frogo369

This would be fine but as noted by CC_merchant it woul dnot be fully utitlized. If you are going to be considering gaming you may want to ensure you consider as part of your system build either an array or drive dedicated for general usage/gaming. This way none of what you do impacts your editing system and workflow. I would recommend the ASUS 780 DCII though it is cooler and quieter than the ACX and in addition will support a GOP UEFI VBIOS. This is the optimal VBIOS needed for the quickest post and boot speeds. As the board you are getting supports this all you need to do is enable FastBoot in the UEFI and install your OS in a UEFI/GPT installation. Best of luck with your build!