3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2008 7:51 AM by akuo

cfloop

craig_mac
      Hi i need to loop through a query then set the MesID each time i loop through, just want to make sure this code will work!! i need it to delete the current record at the end of the loop

<!-- GET INFO FROM MESSAGE TABLE-->
      <cfquery datasource="#application.ds#" name="GetMessages">

<!-- LOOP THROUGH MESSAGE TABLE-->
      <cfloop query="GetMessages">
      <cfset CurrentID = GetMessages.MesID>

<!-- INSERT INTO TABLE HERE-->

<!-- THEN DELETE CURRENT MESSAGE HERE-->
      <cfquery datasource="#application.ds#" name="GetMessages">
      DELETE FROM Message_Table
      WHERE MesID = #CurrentID#
      </cfquery>

</loop>
        • 1. Re: cfloop
          Dan Bracuk Level 5
          You can probably do it without a loop, but without seeing the initial and insert queries, it's hard to say.
          • 2. Re: cfloop
            coffeedrinker56
            Hmmm... deleting a row while your pointers are actively looking at it? That's an enqueing conflict. In essence you're attempting to delete [read: write on] your row while you have it locked in "share" mode. It depends upon your database... Some will simply change your privileges to "write" and complete the update; others will give you a stream of warning messages, but perform the update anyway, and still others will stop the update altogether.
            [Basically it's NOT a good habit to get into!]
            • 3. Re: cfloop
              akuo
              I'm assuming you are trying to copy from 1 table to another...and then deleting from the orginal. If so, try this...(only 1 delete vs. many deletes)

(Keep in mind, you should use <CFTRANSACTION> in case an insert or delete fails midway).