1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 3:32 PM by ophello

Applescript: Packaging and exporting PDFs for multiple files -- need some tweaks

ophello Level 1

I found and tweaked a droplet script that isn't quite working right. I am hoping for some help with getting it to work the way I want. I tried and failed to learn to do this myself. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Here's an example: I drag two files called "filename.indd" and "filename2.indd" onto the droplet. The script I have right now will output the packages and PDFs into the following folder structure:

export folder

filename folder

filename.pdf

filename folder

filename.indd

[Package contents]

filename2 folder

filename2.pdf

filename2 folder

filename2.indd

[Package contents]

Here's the folder structure I need (using a dialog box or script that intelligently knows that the directory to save in is the same as the files I dragged on to the droplet would be amazing):

dialog box to choose new directory set to baseFolder

or

baseFolder <---- set to the current directory of the files I dragged onto the droplet

filename folder

filename.indd

[Package contents]

PDF folder             <--------new folder "PDF" created

filename.pdf

filename2 folder

filename2.indd

[Package contents]

PDF folder             <--------new folder "PDF" created

filename2.pdf

Here's a script I found and modified:

------

property baseFolder : (path to desktop as text) & "exports:"

on open mgItems

repeat with mgThisItem in mgItems

tell application id "com.adobe.InDesign"

try

open mgThisItem

set mgDocName to name of active document

set text item delimiters of AppleScript to ".indd"

set mgShortName to text item 1 of mgDocName

set targetFolderPath to my createFolder(mgShortName)

set text item delimiters of AppleScript to ""

set mgPackageFilePath to targetFolderPath & mgShortName as string

set mgProofFilePath to mgPackageFilePath & ".pdf" as string

set properties of PDF export preferences to properties of PDF export preset "[Smallest File Size]"

tell the active document to export format PDF type to mgProofFilePath without showing options

tell the active document to package to mgPackageFilePath with copying fonts, ignore preflight errors, copying profiles, updating graphics, including hidden layers, copying linked graphics and creating report

close active document saving no

on error e

display dialog e

end try

end tell

end repeat

display dialog "PDFs created and InDesign file packaged"

end open

on createFolder(nameString)

set macFolderPath to baseFolder & nameString

do shell script "mkdir -p " & quoted form of POSIX path of macFolderPath

return macFolderPath & ":"

end createFolder

------

Thanks very much!