11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 11:20 AM by Peter Spier

ID CS6 Constantly Crashes

tmkister

CS6, Windows 7 XP

I have tried:

Removing the prefs file

Removing cross references (there were only two)

Removing and reinstalling the program

Reverting to the system's default fonts

Saving as an IDML file

Cutting and pasting small chunks into a new document

Ensuring there are no problematic graphics (no eps files)

I've done more, but I can't remember everything just now.

Can this be a problem with anchored objects or with hyphenation? (I have read a few posts about earlier ID versions that mentioned problems with these, but nothing about CS6.)

Oh, yeah, and now it is randomly applying an underline I sometimes use as a highlight. I cannot figure out why. When I select the text, the character panel does not show that it is underlined.

Any ideas?

An exorcist maybe? (This is very not fun.)

Thank you!

• 1. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may have reinstalled - but that leaves pieces behind

Have you tried this - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Also - what are you doing at the time of the crash?

Is it every file or just one file?

• 2. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
            tmkister Level 1

Most recently, I have been trying to release the anchor from a sidebar, which is composed of a graphic and a text box. However, I have also tried (again) to copy the text and graphics from the main text frame into a new document, hoping to create a document without the anchored sidebars, and that also crashed ID.

I have not tried the cleaner tool. I will look into it.

The idea of having to unistall and reinstall again is super annoying. Oh well, I suppose it can't be helped.

• 3. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
              tmkister Level 1

Well, I've used the cleaner tool, stripped out the sidebars (to eliminate any problems with anchors), turned off all hyphenation, and copied the main story into a new document.

Still crashing. Now it crashes when I adjust the spacing before and after paragraph styles.

So, this is happening in multiple files (all related - that is, all attempts to work with the same text and graphics).

Can this be a permissions issue? I remember once, long ago, that CS wouldn't work properly because the IT people had restricted my permissions.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. This is my job, and if I can't get ID to work, then what?

• 4. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
                tmkister Level 1

One more bit of information: I can sometimes work for a few hours with no problems. Then it starts crashing again. Sometimes I work at home, where I am not restricted by the permissions that exist at work. However, sometimes the crashing also happens at home.

• 5. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Could be corrupt styles, I suppose.

You might want to make a new file, redefine the styles, then export the stories to ID Tagged Text and place them into the new document to see if it helps.

• 6. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
                    tmkister Level 1

Peter,

When you say "redefine the styles," do you mean to select "Redefine Style" from the Paragraph Style panel, or do you mean create the styles anew?

Thank you!

• 7. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
                      tmkister Level 1

I have copied the main story into Notepad and pasted it into a new ID document. I loaded the styles from the problematic documents into the new ID document, and am re-applying them. I've been working for an hour on this, with no problems.

It means I have to re-instert all of the graphics, re-create all of the sidebars, and reformat everything.

I sure hope it works!

• 8. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes

tmkister wrote:

Peter,

When you say "redefine the styles," do you mean to select "Redefine Style" from the Paragraph Style panel, or do you mean create the styles anew?

Create anew in the new file. Do not import the styles from existing files.

• 9. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
                          tmkister Level 1

Re-creating all of the styles is not feasible, except as a last resort. I have eight weeks of work in this, and starting over from scratch is going to mean that there won't be time to do the project.

Sigh. It's still working, having loaded the styles. I sure hope it keeps working.

Thanks for your help!

• 10. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes
                            tmkister Level 1

In case anyone is curious, I'm pretty sure I have figured out what was causing ID to crash.

It happened when I had two grouped objects (a sidebar composed of a text box and an icon) and tried to anchor them. After carefully reconstructing the documents, I began to experiment with these, and I'm pretty sure the problem was that the icon and the text box had different object styles. ID could cope with having these grouped, but not with having them grouped AND anchored.

This is the look I was going for:

Sidebar.png

To avoid the crashing, I applied the same object style to both the text box and the icon before grouping and achoring them. This is what I settled for:

Sidebar 2.png

Good enough!

• 11. Re: ID CS6 Constantly Crashes

It wouldn't hurt to file this as a bug at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

It's unlikely to get fixed in CS6, but it might have carried through to CC and could be fixed there.