5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2013 2:22 PM by Sandee Cohen

Embarrassingly Dumb Question

ericgraig Level 1

I am trying to place text into two columns on a page. The text will span multiple pages. My margins are set up for .75 inches. I set up rectangular frames that are smaller than the space between the margins yet when I go to place the text (even starting, or so it seems, in the frame, the text flows to a new frame that starts at the top margin and continues to the bottom margin. I guess what I'm wondering is whether there is a way to place text so that it flows into previously defined text frames.

This is ID6 BTW.

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: Embarrassingly Dumb Question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Place the text cursor at the end of the exisiting story (and a paragraph return if there isn't one already or the new text will append to the last paragraph). File > Place and uncheck the replace existing content box.

• 2. Re: Embarrassingly Dumb Question
            ericgraig Level 1

Thanks, but that's not what I had in mind. There is no existing story. The problem is that I've defined a text frame on the master page but when I place text on page one, using the shift key open to keep adding text until it's all been flowed, ID ignores the master page text frames and just flows the text within the margins of the page, NOT within the text frame I created.

Eric

• 3. Re: Embarrassingly Dumb Question
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ah. You're probably clicking on a Guide. Make sure you put the cursor in empty space inside the frame area before you click.

• 4. Re: Embarrassingly Dumb Question
                TREX Level 2

This is another way.

Create a text box, fill with text, see attached screen shot.

Red circle is for making columns - Purple circle is for space between columns.

Hope it is of use.

Screen Shot.png

• 5. Re: Embarrassingly Dumb Question
                  Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Try this:

Create a new document with the .75 inch margins but also click "Master Text Frames". I'm also assuming you want facing pages.

Now go to the one master page in the document. Select each of the text frames on the master pages and change the number of columns from 1 to 2.

Now go back to the first page. Go load the cursor with the text.

Place the cursor inside where the text frame is. You will see the cursor straight lines become curved. That indicates that you're about to put the text into the master text frame (even though it's not selected).

Now hold the Shift key. The cursor will change to an arrow that goes up and down. This indicates the autoflow to all the pages.

Click.

You should now have all the pages you want.