Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still can't install Flash on IE8!

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone...

I've tried every fix on the internet for my brand new HP Envy to get Flash installed. I'm out of luck.

Can anyone help me with additional support?

Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE11 Windows 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, I always get those mixed up. Yes you are correct, IE11, Windows 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player for IE11 is already installed by Microsoft with Windows 8. You CAN'T install or update it here.

That said, IE11 is an abomination and should be recalled. It's wrought havoc all over the web because, as they all-too-often do, Microsoft released it for public use without testing it in a "real world environment". Hundreds of webpages and dozens of sites don't recognize it, and if they don't recognize the browser, they can't recognize the plugins the browser uses, including Flash Player.

Microsoft's recommendation is to enable Compatibility View for affected pages. There are a few problems with that.

1. You have to individually enable it for each page that has problems, which is a real pain.

2. Enabling Compatibility View has had only limited success at best.

3. Bacisally, this solution is saying "Change your  settings to 'pretend' you're using something else."

I'm not a big fan of "pretending" so I recommend actually using something else... something else that works without having to change settings for every page you visit.

Firefox (Mozilla)

Opera (Opera)

Safari (Apple)

Chrome (Google)

ANY of those will work better than IE11, and Chrome has its own Flash Player built in. The others need the Flash Player Plug-in (For all other browsers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike,

Thanks so much for your help. Compatability View in IE11 looks as if it might work, but I jump right into Google Chrome (that I downloaded per your suggestion above) and I can see videos just fine.

As long as I have SOME browser I can watch basic videos on, I'm happy.

I appreciate the response.

DJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines