12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 9:47 AM by Peru Bob

Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?

Kawika808 Level 1

In PrE12, can you use the Color Picker (for Colored Matte) to select a color directly from the work area Preview Window image (directly from a clip or still image), to get a precise match?  Also, is there any Info tool (as there is in Photoshop) to get a precise reading on the RGB of any area in the Window?

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

• 1. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

At this time, this is for informational purposes rather than the information to answer your question.

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 has an option under Edit Header/Effects/VIdeo Effects/Image Control, "Color Match". This may be part of what you seek to identify the color properties. But, I am not seeing that Color Match effect under Image Control in the latest version 12. Color Match seems to have been discontinued in Premiere Elements later than version 8.0/8.0.1.

In 12, if you look at Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Keying, there is the RGB Difference Key. The Color option in that dialog may be of use for identifying the color properties? I need to look into this further.

As you can see, Premiere Elements 12 Info Tool does not offer the RGB features of the Photoshop Elements Editor Info Tool. I see no way of enhancing the Premiere Elements 12 Info Tool to offer such. That is my take on that.

Do you actually have Premiere Elemens 12 at this time? If you do not and are considering it as your video editor, I would encourage you to go the free 30 day tryout route from Adobe for purchase.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
            Kawika808 Level 1

Hello, ATR,

And thank you for the information.

To answer your question, I do have PE12 and I'm in the middle of a project with it.  I can survive without some of the things I'm after (like color picker RGB numbers; I'm reasonably good at visual matches) but obviously it's better to use an existing feature (if it exists) rather than re-invent the wheel.  Frankly, I'm astounded that many features that were in PSE very early on (I'm still using v.6 because it is so versatile) didn't make it to PE12.

Regarding try before you buy: a poster somewhere put it very well: with this kind of program you're weeks into it before you really know what it will and won't do.  And if you need to get some work done, sometimes (to paraphrase Rumsfeld) you have to do the work with the equipment you've got.

I'll take a look at some of the concepts you outlined, thanks again.

• 3. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808,

Aloha!

Have you looked into the Three-way Color Corrector Effect in PrE 12?

I think that it will get you closer to what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at Three-Way Color Corrector's adjustment Panel:

Three-Way_Color_Corrector.png

Good luck, and hope that is helpful.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I see no RGB readouts in that tool. Do you?

ATR

• 6. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There are none, BUT there is a Color Control Wheel, and an eyedropper, which should be about what is wanted for CC (Color Correction).

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I thought so. Since the question seemed more to be about color identification and not color correction I did not go there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, CC for Video is different, than for Images in Ps. First, Ps is a Color Managed Workspace, but that does not exist directly in an NLE.

With PrPro, one does CC with a calibrated separate NTSC, or PAL monitor - not the monitor on the computer. Then, with an eye on that calibrated monitor, and various Video scopes, the CC is made. As of about CS 6, Adobe has begun shipping SpeedGrade to do CC with a two-way link between it, and PrPro. That has taken CC to whole new levels. Also, there are several other CC programs, but most like DaVinci Resolve are best when used as the whole system, which is not inexpensive: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/software/

Given the differences between the workspaces of Ps and PrE, I assume that Adobe decided that their likely customer base would not be inclined to do much more CC, than by eye. At least they offer Three-Way CC, which is a great Effect. The one in PrPro does offer more power, but then there is the price difference between those two versions of Premiere.

Just my thoughts and observations,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                          nealeh Level 5

ColorPic is a handy free colour picker tool that will tell you just about everything you want to know about an onscreen colour.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Does this 3rd party ColorPic work with computer operating systems Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit?

Your link gives support up to Windows XP (not sure there if 32 or 64 bit).

Also, how does the ColorPic integrate with Premiere Elements Timeline and its images in the Edit Mode Monitor?

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                              Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks to all for the suggestions and information.  Again, I just wanted to:

1. Create a matte for an intro title and a couple of other titles.

2. Match the color of the matte to a selected color in the image that would follow.

Ideally, I would get an RGB reading from a spot on the image, then color the matte the same RBG numbers.  I ended up doing it by eye, came out pretty good (since the idea was to match ocean color, which obviously is different on every ripple).  BTW R8-G59-B102 is a pretty good match for the sea on a nice day off the SoCal coast.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of mileage out of the wheel when it comes time to harmonize all the various clips that are destined to be in the final product.

(This has always been a pet peeve of mine with TV & Hollywood: sky and sea are presented in a totally incongruous manner.  They will show what is ostensibly the same day and time on a boat, at the beach, or whatever, and in one shot the sea is calm, the next shot there's surf, the next shot is obviously windy, cloudy, etc.  No one is supposed to notice?)

-----------------

BTW #2: the "Helpful" and "Correct" choices on this site make me smile.  As a long-time classroom teacher, I know better than to decide that there is only one "correct" answer to the types of questions asked.  (But maybe the Adobe lads are all dropouts?)  Ditto for "helpful."  Have to wonder about anyone who would put a limit/quota on "helpful" ratings! 

• 12. Re: Can color picker be used to precisely match the color in a clip?
                                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pixie is an executable and doesn't need to be installed.  Very simple to use:

http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.php