10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 6:03 AM by mac2474

Problem with motion tracking

mac2474

I have Premiere Elements 12 64 bit on a windows 8 machine. I am trying to use the motion tracking feature. I am able to select an object to track and the resulting yellow rectangle follows the object as it moves through the scene. The problem I have occurs when I try to attach a graphic to the item being tracked; the graphic will not anchor itself to the yellow rectangle when dragged onto it, the rectangle does not turn blue. It appears the graphic is added as a static layer and does not follow the object. I have tried it using various video formats with the same result.

• 1. Re: Problem with motion tracking
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mac2374

Please check out my blog post on Premiere Elements 12 motion tracking.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/10/pe12-motion-trackingwhat-to-use-to.html

After you go through it, then we can discuss your issue further if necessary.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problem with motion tracking
            mac2474 Level 1

Hi,

A very interesting blog. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with my problem as described in my original post. I understand the basic principles of using motion tracking within APE 12, but I  do not get the results as shown in the examples. 

• 3. Re: Problem with motion tracking
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mac2474

Thanks for the update and checking out the Premiere Elements 12 Motion Tracking details in the blog post cited.

Moving forward, let us see if we can determine why the feature is not working for you.

What specific graphic are you using in the Motion Tracking? Is it from the program's Graphics (Clip Arts)? What object are you trying to track? I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit, and I will try to road test the issue as close as possible to your workflow.

It might be a good idea to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path to it would be:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. To see the complete path, be sure to have Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with motion tracking
                mac2474 Level 1

It is easier to show you what happens:-

http://youtu.be/cHU8Bpa7Yms

It may show if and where I am going wrong.

• 5. Re: Problem with motion tracking
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mac2474

Thanks for the demo. Very helpful.

I am still not sure if it is the lack of contrast that is not giving you the best results. I tried to use a model with a light gray object to be tracked against a light blue background. Or, if it is those speech bubbles in contrast to other graphic types that are creating problems.

But, it is more than that. You did not see that yellow/orange box turn blue when you approached it with the speech bubble.

I found essentially one on one tracking when I used other than speech bubbles. But, whether speech bubbles or not, my yellow/orange box turned blue with the approach of the speech bubble or other graphic.

Here is what I would like you to try

a. Repeat what you did, but do not use the speech bubble. Use one of the other graphics under Graphics, maybe the carrot.

b. Repeat what you did , but use as source an object with more contrast against its background.

The main thing we have to work on is getting the yellow/orange to blue change as an indicator of what is supposed to be happening. Also, just back tracking to correct is not enough. If a try does not work, start with newly imported files to avoid any unexpected variables until we work out the situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problem with motion tracking
                    mac2474 Level 1

ATR

Thanks for your continued help.

a. I repeated the exercise using the carrot. The result was the same - No change from yellow/orange box to blue and the carrot remained static on the screen rather than follow the object as required.

b. I changed source to utilise something that stood out more against its background and again got the same result

c. I tried using a graphic from the 'Projects Assets' list rather than the 'Graphics' again with the same result. This was also true if I tried to use a graphic from the 'Organizer'

MAC

• 7. Re: Problem with motion tracking
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MAC

Sorry the news was not better. But, let us not give up.

Before contemplating a deactivation, uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall, let us try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file to see if that has any impact on your Premiere Elements 12 Motion Tracking results.

The path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit is

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

In order to see the complete path, be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active.

I will include the typical drill questions, just in case...

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

b. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

c. Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problem with motion tracking
                        mac2474 Level 1

ATR

Prefs deleted as suggested - No difference to the results i'm after using Motion tracking

a. Yes

b. Administrator

c. AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series - According to the AMD Driver Autodetect I have the latest driver installed

MAC

• 9. Re: Problem with motion tracking
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

MAC

Have something else for you to try...

Set up for your Motion Tracking as usual.

Get your yellow/orange box containing the object that is to be tracked.

But, before you go to Graphics and that first Speech Bubble, click in the middle of the yellow/orange box on screen.

Does that result in a blue box?

If so, drag your graphic (Speech Bubble) into the blue box.

Do you get any closer to the effect that you seek?

ATR

• 10. Re: Problem with motion tracking
                            mac2474 Level 1

ATR

Clicking on the selected object either with a single or double click has no effect. A right click gives you the option to delete the selected object or show all, but still no change in the box colour and I am still not able to attach a graphic.

MAC