5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 7:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Upgrading i5/8gb PC for PrE12 (HT+CUDA?)

jrocknyc

Hi.

I've got a (mostly) four-year-old pc: i5 750, 8gb ram, ATI 6970 (2gb), w/ SSD (apps) and a 1tb HDD (data).

And now, Pre12.

I'm wondering how big an impact the following upgrades would have:

1) just doubling the ram to 16gb

2) installing i7 4770 + 16gb ram

3) installing i7 4770 + 16gb ram + an nVidia card (650ti?)

4) installing i7 4770 + 16gb ram + an nVidia card (650ti?) + dedicated HDD for video

(I'm assuming PrE12 is hyperthreaded and benefits from CUDA?)

I only edit short vids of the kids: 5 minute, 1080p stuff, with ~20 cuts per min and few effects, using MOVs shot on my Canon G1x, and only for a few hours each month.

My current rig is okay, but it'd be nice to make editing go a bit faster. Should I redo the whole system, or just slap in some more RAM?

• 1. Re: Upgrading i5/8gb PC for PrE12 (HT+CUDA?)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE 12 will benefit from the extra CPU power, BUT it does not use CUDA, as it does not have MPE (Mercury Playback Engine), like PrPro has had, since CS 5.

Right now (as we do not know what PrE 13 might hold), the video card is just not used that much. Almost any card, that is current, with about 1GB of VRAM, will perform, just as the highest end card will. The biggest consideration, for me, regarding video cards, is their driver support.

The CPU and the RAM would be my first choices for upgrading.

Second would be multiple, physical HDD's, if you do not have those. If one had but one, physical HDD/SSD, then there IS a benefit from adding a second (not a partition). A third, or fourth will still benefit, but not so much as going from 1 to 2.

Just my thoughts,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Upgrading i5/8gb PC for PrE12 (HT+CUDA?)
            jrocknyc Level 1

Thank you!

I had read all sorts of info about MPE and video cards, but not be a gamer much any more (kids!), i was loathe to spend another couple hundred on a new card.

Since I've got 320gb & 500gb HDDs just sitting around, I'll plop one of those in (as a TARGET for Pre12 to WRITE to, correct?) and double the RAM for $100, and see how that lasts me. (A new i7 means a new mobo, so it's worth the $100 to see if i can put off the mobo/cpu/ram upgrade til even newer CPUs come out.)

Thanks for your quick response.

• 3. Re: Upgrading i5/8gb PC for PrE12 (HT+CUDA?)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that you are on the right track there.

So long as your HDD's are at least 7200 RPM drives, that will give you "bang for the buck."

While I do have a high-end vid-card, that is on my PrPro workstation, and I also use it for some 3D work. At this moment, it would be vast overkill for PrE. Now, we will all have to wait on PrE 13, to see if something like MPE is added. I do not anticipate that, but who knows?

For more info on both MPE & CUDA, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4152667#4152667

However, remember that is for Ps, PrPro and AE, from CS 5 up to CC (Creative Cloud).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Upgrading i5/8gb PC for PrE12 (HT+CUDA?)
                ABWay0

Bill: Along the lines of CPU & RAM for PrE12

Currently my PrE12 takes 7 hours to create a 40 minute mp4 (HD 1920x1080, 2.3 GB) with a 2.2 GHz AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core (running at 100%), 8 GB RAM (running at ca. 75%), and four 3-TB 7200 rpm HDDs, so I am planning a computer upgrade.

1. Would a 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 4771 (4 cores, 8 threads, 8 MB cache) be substantially faster than a 3.2 GHz i5 4570 (4 cores, 4 threads, 6 MB cache)?

2. Would 16 GB RAM be substantially faster than 8 GB RAM, especially given that my current configuration only utilizes 75% of RAM?

Many thanks,

Tony

• 5. Re: Upgrading i5/8gb PC for PrE12 (HT+CUDA?)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

You will likely not notice the additional CPU power, though it could be measured. Not as much bang for the buck (though there will be some), as say going from an i5 to the i7.

For Encoding, the additional RAM will not come into play that much, BUT will be useful for a lot of editing operations, and also will provide much more power, if you have any other programs open at the same time, such as maybe Photoshop, or Illustrator. There will be benefits from the increased RAM, but those might not just jump at you, like the i5 to i7 would.

Also, having at least a second physical HDD (or SSD) will also provide an increase in many operations, if they are allocated properly, such as C:\ OS, programs and probably the Page File (Windows Virtual Memory), and then D:\ Projects and media, plus Scratch Disks. The idea is to spread the I/O (Input/Output) over several physical discs.

Good luck, and if you need more info, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hunt