5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2013 7:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Can someone help me burn a DVD?  It keeps "stopping"!

mattgardner22

I just downloaded Premiere Elements 12 and my kids and I create a great video to give to my wife for Christmas.  It is a mix of video and images set to music.

I click on "Publish+Share", and then...

I click on the "Disc (Burn DVD, Blu-ray and AVCHD discs)" option, and then...

I set all the options correctly, and then...

I click "Burn".

A box appears in the top right corner with this message...

"Burn in Progress

"Your files are currently being burned to Disc. You will see a confirmation message once the burn has been completed."

There is a status bar with the message "Encoding Media" underneath it.

Everything starts fine and then it gets to 46% (this is the magic number where it stops).

It never gets past this number.  (I have tried repeating this process several times with different options).

I have had my Task Manager up a few times and I see my CPU usage close to 90% the whole time it is "Encoding Media". 

As soon as it gets to 46% my CPU usages drops to 0-1%

The Adobe program still shows that it is running.  It does not Freeze or go into a "Not Responsing" state.  Rather it just stops!

I have tried one of the other options where I just burn a movie on my computer and this doesn't work either.  This particular option has an estimated remaining timer that got all the way to 00:00:02 before it stopped.

Last clue is that I can't "Render" my timeline either.  It stops midway.

I am at a complete loss and I need to get this thing published before Christmas.

Please help!

Message was edited by: mattgardner22

• 1. Re: Can someone help me burn a DVD?  It keeps "stopping"!
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Hi Matt,

This is the Premiere Pro forum. In case you're not aware, Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements are completely different products, developed by different teams and, generally, used by different customers. So you will likely have much better fortune getting help on the Elements forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements.

For what it's worth, my gut tells me that encoding is choking on a particular clip. If you were using Premiere Pro and exporting through Adobe Media Encoder, the encoding preview window would show you exactly where things hang up, and you could then go find that precise spot in the sequence to isolate the problem asset. If Elements also has preview, that'll help; otherwise, you could go all empirical on this--slicing and dicing the sequence to find where the problem lies. GIven that rendering fails with only 2 seconds (or is that 2 frames) remaining, I'd start looking at the very, very end of the sequence.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Can someone help me burn a DVD?  It keeps "stopping"!
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>just downloaded Premiere Elements 12

While you are on your way to the correct forum, some reading...

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 3. Re: Can someone help me burn a DVD?  It keeps "stopping"!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, as Mark points out, this is the PrPro Forum.

I will Move your post to the Premiere Elements Forum, where you will get rapid assistance. Your link and any e-mail subscriptions will follow.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Moved to PrE Forum]

• 4. Re: Can someone help me burn a DVD?  It keeps "stopping"!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark makes some useful comments, regarding a Clip, Still, or perhaps the Audio, that could be hanging things.

PrE uses what is called a 2 Pass Transcoding/Encoding, that works this way:

The program does a survey of the entire Timeline, completing that at 50% (just beyond where your Timeline Encoding is hanging), then it takes the information gained from that first pass, and begins the second pass, basing the Encoding on what the survey yielded, completing at 100% of the process.

Doing rough math, your Encoding is hanging at about 94% of your Timeline's Duration. I would look at around that point, to try and determine what is on the Timeline there. It could be one Video Clip, that is different from others, an overly-large Still Image or perhaps a problem MP3 Audio file. I would also check to make sure that you do NOT have a Stop Marker at the end of your Timeline. If you do, remove that Stop Marker.

Also, check that you have adequate defragmented free-space on your HDD. Though you are buring to disc, PrE needs plenty of free-space to create the working files.

Good luck, and please let us know what is on your Timeline, near the end.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can someone help me burn a DVD?  It keeps "stopping"!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mattgardner22

I would like to help your obtain your DVD, but I would need to work from the following information, given you are using Premiere Elements 12, presumed on some version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

1.You say that you have a mixture of video and images set to music.

a. What is the format of the video...here I am looking for video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio, file extension, duration....What is the description of these images, jpg or other photos, how many, what pixel dimensions? Based on the properties of your source media, what did you or the project set for the project preset? (If you do not know, please refer to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings there gray out or otherwise, including Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.)

b. How many and what kind Timeline menu markers, spacing on those markers, what DVD Template (based on the number of Timeline markers, how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages did you end up with?

2. How did the Timeline playback in the Edit Mode monitor before you headed for Movie Menu and Publish+Share?

3. When you got to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, what did the burn dialog show in the Quality area for Space Required and Bitrate (that is with a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space).

If you need to inspect that Expert workspace Timeline, please use the -+ slider above the Timeline to do so.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR