21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 2:32 PM by Alex - DV411

Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU

HDV.DIVA Level 1

Okay, I am sure I am being lame here but I will ask anyway.  Part of this comes from a note on Newegg that not all applications can handle multiple cores.

For a Windows system, the http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html Tech Specs state:

Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required

To a semi-techie that would be a minimum.  If that is so, what are the "upgraded" versions of Intel and AMD that are acceptable.  I am only looking to upgrade my motherboard and CPU (okay, memory and storage).  I do not need to buy a new case, video card, or power supply.  Actually, I just need memory but it will cost just as much to get 16GB on this older system as it will be buy a new combo pack.

Any input on which AMD and Intel Cores will work is greatly appreciated.

Barbara

• 1. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
          cc_merchant Level 4

Read ALL pages here: Tweakers Page

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
            HDV.DIVA Level 1

BTW, if you have anything to do with the maintenance of the page.  The link at the top for What kind of PC to Use? works but the one in the main body does not.

Thank you very much for this page.  It is an excellent resource!

• 3. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
              cc_merchant Level 4

You have to click the button 'Read More' ...

• 4. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                HDV.DIVA Level 1

Sorry, but a link is a link is a link.  And it is broken if it takes you to a blank page.  But as I said, there was more than one way to get there.  I just thought I would mention it especially for others who come along and read the thread.  At least if they see a mostly blank screen they will know to try another way.

• 5. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                  cvid01 Level 4

I clicked on the link. The page was not blank. It has tons of very valuable information. So, I am another who came along and read this thread and have no problems with the link.

• 6. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

• 7. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Barbara,

There are no good answers for generic questions when it comes to Premiere Pro hardware selection. To assist you bes with specifics, we need more input.

Specifically, please provide more information about your workflow:

- projects - # layers, typical effects, color grading, etc.?

- media - SD, AVCHD, 4k, Scarlet? (this makes a huge difference about the "best fit" hardware choice

And also, what is the rest of your current hardware list:

- drives (and what files are put on which drives currently - media, scratch, cache, render outputs, etc.)

- video card (you state taht you do not need a new one, but are you aware that Premiere Pro uses the video card for certain operations and you must meet a minumum specification for that to help?)

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                        HDV.DIVA Level 1

JEShort01 wrote:

Specifically, please provide more information about your workflow:

- projects - # layers, typical effects, color grading, etc.?

- media - SD, AVCHD, 4k, Scarlet? (this makes a huge difference about the "best fit" hardware choice

Most of my projects are HDV 1080i 1920x1080. I capture these using a third party tool that can read my timecode (PP doesn't have my camera listed).  The resulting file is M2T. I also now have a small digital camera that I will be incorporating some AVCHD: 1920x1080.  Most of my projects are shorts, less than 10 minutes; however, I also do 30 minute and 1 hour segments.  Sometimes I use After Effects and Encode DVDs.  I am not incorporating still sequences from the Sony digital camera to create timelapse.  I am using Camera Raw to process the batch, then saving to JPG for PP (I am trying to find a more effective way but I am an amateur and don't have much $$ to spend, and I wasn't successful in finding a codec that PP will recognize for my camera...sigh).

My projects included multiple nested sequences (as I build each small clip, or related clips into separate bins and sequences.  I almost always need to do color correcting, as in white balancing, and warp stabilization.  I use other moderate effects. 

JEShort01 wrote:

And also, what is the rest of your current hardware list:

- drives (and what files are put on which drives currently - media, scratch, cache, render outputs, etc.)

- video card (you state taht you do not need a new one, but are you aware that Premiere Pro uses the video card for certain operations and you must meet a minumum specification for that to help?)

About my current storage I didn't mention that because I know and understand my choices.  I currently have older storage and a new computer will allow me to have much more and faster storage.  Typically my media files are on an internal drive and my render and scratch disks are on a different internal drive (not just a different partition).  The cache files are on the same disk as my os, which currently is the same physical disk as the scratch but a different volume.  With a newer system I can separate these better.

The video card could be better but that is where I am cutting costs right now.  Yes, the Mercury Playback Engine recognizes my card.  It is a GTX  660 Ti 2 GB.

For those of you who are not aware of the challenges of filming underwater: yes, underwater videographers have to make additional adjustments; yes, I white balance first but the amount of red is ever varying and decreasing; yes I use a tripod when possible which is seldom and frequently I still have to deal with surge.

Barbara

• 9. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Barbara,

Thanks for the additional details that helps a lot.

I would suggest:

- Intel 4 or 6 core latest generation CPU

- Intel i7-4930k 6-core would give you more "grow room" and speed, but would cost more of course along with a matching x79 motherboard

- Intel i7-4770k 4-core would get the job done and cost hundreds of dollars less than the 6-core

- go for 32GB; as newer versions of Premiere Pro come out, they seem to utilize more and more RAM (also as RAM gets cheaper and size per stick keeps going up too!)

You are asking about hardware, but possibly some of the new CC hardware assisted color grading would be of interest to your workflow too if you are using something else. Some of the popular 3rd party color apps are only single-threaded (do not fully use multi-cores of cpu + gpu power) have been known to really slow down renders, etc.

Regards,

Jim

• 10. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                            HDV.DIVA Level 1

JEShort01 wrote:

I would suggest:

- Intel i7-4770k 4-core would get the job done and cost hundreds of dollars less than the 6-core

- go for 32GB; as newer versions of Premiere Pro come out, they seem to utilize more and more RAM (also as RAM gets cheaper and size per stick keeps going up too!)

Jim, yes I have been looking at an i7-4770K 4-core with 32GB RAM.  But I will also compare some of the other flavors.  When I have time and can spend some more money I will certainly look into some of the color grading apps.

Your input has been extremely helpful.  I have to say that other than one message on Google+ I didn't get much other feedback, and FB was a waste!  Guess there is still something to be said for forums.

Happy Holidays

• 11. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would not put the Media Cache on the OS drive. People normally dont delete those regularly and they build up quickly not to mention the OS drive is doing enough read requests.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                HDV.DIVA Level 1

Eric, yeah I was sure I would get feedback on that.  I think that is the default by PP. 

Given that I only have two physical drives how would you configure it?

Phys Drive 1 - Partition A = OS

Phys Drive 1 - Partition B = SCRATCH

Phys Drive 2 - Partition C = PROJECT/MEDIA

Phys Drive 2 - Partition D = Other stuff like still images and audio

Thank you so much for your feedback.

• 13. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NEVER use a partition... slower and more wear on the drive

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more on partitions

• 14. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

Even with solid state storage?

• 15. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK... SSD may be an exception to the no partition rule

• 16. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                        RjL190365 Level 4

Alex Gerulaitis wrote:

Even with solid state storage?

Yes. This is because partitioning an SSD largely defeats the wear-leveling feature on modern SSDs. As such, data gets re-written over the exact same sectors on the SSD over and over again, increasing wear and tear on the SSD (which has limited rewrite life to begin with).

• 17. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Yes. This is because partitioning an SSD largely defeats the wear-leveling feature on modern SSDs. As such, data gets re-written over the exact same sectors on the SSD over and over again, increasing wear and tear on the SSD (which has limited rewrite life to begin with).

That's guesswork or something from real-world experience? Or perhaps there's math to prove the idea that partitioning an SSD is a sure - and quick - path to its tragic and premature demise?

• 18. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                            RjL190365 Level 4

Alex Gerulaitis wrote:

That's guesswork or something from real-world experience? Or perhaps there's math to prove the idea that partitioning an SSD is a sure - and quick - path to its tragic and premature demise?

This is largely math. You see, SSD controllers are designed to write garbage data (wear leveling) all over the data area (the entire SSD) to begin with. But when you partition the SSD, the garbage collection will be restricted to only the primary volume (partition) of that SSD (the other partitions are not touched at all). That increases the rewrite wear and tear on the primary partition of the SSD, which may lead to the SSD's premature demise. That is how partitioning an SSD will largely defeat the TRIM feature.

For the record, I have only one SSD - and it is configured as one single volume (no partitions).

• 19. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

How many partitions will we need to create on an SSD before the effect you're describing becomes noticeable in real-world use? A few thousand?

Let's get back to it when we either have math (and a reputable 3rd party confirmation of that math), or real-world experiences.

• 20. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                                SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Interesting read regarding SDD read/write cycles and drive life - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043634/how-to-stretch-the-life-of-your-ssd-storage.html

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 21. Re: Tech Specs vs upgrading my motherboard and CPU
                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

Interesting read regarding SDD read/write cycles and drive life - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043634/how-to-stretch-the-life-of-your -ssd-storage.html

Thanks so much Jeff, very interesting indeed, leading to a few gems on their own:

- SSD Endurance Revisited - Magnus Achim Deininger (ef.gy), 18-Apr-2013

- Taking an Accurate Look at SSD Write Endurance - Allyn Malventano (pcper.com), 20-Feb-2013

The tl:dr version of either article is that the endurance concerns are largely overstated on most of workloads but then you have to tread "most" carefully: using a 32GB TLC SSD for write-back caching in tiered storage will kill it fast. Would be very interesting to do the math for SSD endurance in Premiere Pro and AE GPC usage scenarios, hopefully some day, someone will do it.