6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2013 6:03 PM by Conrad C

CS5 not printing actual size

Recumbents

I'm using CS5 Extended. I have a canvas size of 8.4x10.95 that I print on 8.5x11 portrait paper. The Scale to Fit Media checkbox is unchecked, and the Scale field is 100%. The printer dialog is set to borderless.

When printed, the image seems to be enlarged by about 1/2 inch, cropping top and bottom.

Need help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: CS5 not printing actual size
          Recumbents Level 1

Also, the left side of the Print dialog box show the full image, and the print preview dialog shows the image with cropping.

• 2. Re: CS5 not printing actual size
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

The canvas size is width by height at some DPI.  The Print dialog printer setting button should be  use to set the paper size and orientation to be printed. Once you do that and return to the print dialog The print preview should show the 8.5 by 11" portrait preview and you image should be shown on the paper where it should print here I have a 8.4 x 10.95 300dpi image that is a red rectangle with a 10pixel black stroke in CS5 print preview. Are you sure you set the correct Portrait not landscape What does the preview show 11x8.5 or 8.5x11

prtpre.jpg

• 3. Re: CS5 not printing actual size
              Recumbents Level 1

Hi JJMack,

I think I did all that (note that the image you show is the Print Settings dialog, not the Print Preview).

Here is my Print Settings:

Print Settings Dialog.jpg

Note the inverted text at the top of the image, and if you look closely, you can see some text at the bottom left and bottom right of the image. Then, when I click on the Print button and the Print Preview dialog comes up, this is what I see:

Print Preview Dialog.jpg

Now the text at the top is clipped, and the text at the bottom is completely gone, and even a bit of the flower is missing.

What am I doing wrong?

• 4. Re: CS5 not printing actual size

Both dialog have a print preview for you can print from either. I have no idea of what is in your document or it size I can see it has a different size then you stated it is from your previews.  I see a flower a lot of white space some text that seems to be upside down and flipped. It also looks like the document size is not what you stated. Show me an image size dialog capture of it for I see no unprinted areas on your two print previews other then the unprintable area. You can clearly see unprinted area in my preview for my 8.4"x10.95"  300DPI document on 8.5"x11" Paper. Also depending on you printerand print options the printable area on a 8.5"x11" varies.

Epson 1280 Printer Print Area

Paper Size Standard Area  Maximum Area

4   x  6   3.76 x  5.76   3.94 x 5.99

8   x 10   7.76    8.9    7.94 x 9.99

8.5 x 11   8.26 x 10.33   8.45 x 10.99

8.5 x 14   8.26 x 12.9    8.5  x 13.76

11   x 14  10.76 x 12.9   10.95 x 13.99

11   x 17  10.7  x 15.9   10.76 x 16.76

13   x 19  12.71 x 18.35  12.93 x 18.99

Epson 4800 Printer Print Area

Paper Size Standard Area        Centered           Maximum      

8.5 x 11    7.983 x 10.333    7.65 x  9.9      8.267 x 10.687 Lightroom uses 8.26x10.33

11.6 x 11.6 10.933 x 10.933

13   x 19

17   x 22 

Roll 17 16.5 16 13 10 8.3          

12 x 12   11.333 x 11.333   10.90 x 10.90    11.767 x 11.767

• 5. Re: CS5 not printing actual size

Play with the dialog and the printer settings and scale to print area to find out sizes that can be printed standard, Max and borderless. With my Epson the 8.5x11 size are even changed when set to borderless in the printer settings. This is CC print dialog.

Capture.jpgCapture1.jpg

• 6. Re: CS5 not printing actual size
                    Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Recumbents wrote:

I'm using CS5 Extended. I have a canvas size of 8.4x10.95 that I print on 8.5x11 portrait paper. The Scale to Fit Media checkbox is unchecked, and the Scale field is 100%. The printer dialog is set to borderless.

When printed, the image seems to be enlarged by about 1/2 inch, cropping top and bottom.

You may not be scaling in Photoshop, but with Epson printers, if you choose any Borderless paper size the Epson printer driver is going to enlarge the print job slightly to extend each side past the edges of the paper. The slight enlargement may not be noticeable when you're printing a photo that isn't tightly cropped, but it can be very obvious when you're printing a design with specific dimensions. Like the greeting card that's shown.

You'll probably get what you want if you choose the non-borderless version of the paper size, which in this case seems to be US Letter.

If you wanted to take a closer look at it, the Epson printer driver lets you customize how much it enlarges.  The screen shot I added shows the setting in OS X; I forget where it is in Windows. But as you can see, if you choose borderless you can't avoid scaling entirely. To achieve borderless printing it has to have some way to ensure that the image will be bigger than the paper.

Epson-print-Borderless-Enlargement.jpg