10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 4:52 PM by Noel Carboni

Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!

anvar_kh Level 1

When i view an image in PS CC in looks 2 times smaller than in Mac OS Preview or in any other viewer. I tried it on another computer - same thing. (Photoshop CC, 15 inch Macbook Pro with Retina display)

Moreover, while the image looks sharp in photoshop, in viewer it looks like it's been magnified to 200%. So i create an image in photoshop say 300x300 pixels, 72 dpi, save it as jpeg, open in Preview at 100% and it looks twice as big as in photoshop and blury. if i post this image to the website, it looks exacly as in viewer, but not like in photoshop. Don't know what to do. Please help

• 1. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You do not understand some things.  Any image DPI resolution is meaningless when it comes to displays. Displays are normally run are their native resolution which is not 72DPI.  Retina displays are high resolution displays and many applications user interfaces were designed for display with low dpi resolution like 96DPI.  So their user interfaces will display very small on high resolution displays.  So Apple Mac  OS may have to scale up some application their User interface so the will display the same size as the would on a low resolution display to be useable. It is also possible that the Mac viewer may also scale up things so the look like the would on low resolution displays.  Photoshop would most likely display images on a retina display without scaling things up. So the would smaller and sharper in Photoshop.  It all about resolution.  A pixel has no size till there is a DPI association.  DPI defines pixel size for example 300 dpi with square aspect ratio would mean there are 9000 pixels per square inch each pixel would be 1/300"x1/300"  At 100DPI each square inch contain contain 1000 pixels each would be 1/100x1/100inch an image with 1200x1800pixels would print 4"x6" at 300dpi and would print 12" x 18" at 100DPI the 300dpi image is smaller and sharper then the 100DPI image.

Web pages are normally design to fit on displays.  Displays have a limited number of pixels,  So web pages are design for the mythical standard display.  In the past displays all had low resolution and the number of pixel they had were typically 640x480, 800x600 then 1024x768 all had 4:3 aspect ratios. That changed some displays showed up with 5:4 aspect ratios then in 2001 IBM showed up with LCD  22.2" 9.2 MP 16:10 204dpi and 3860x2400pisels. The marketplace was not ready at that time. Even now the marketplace is not ready.  They are making 10" tablets these days with 2560x1600 pixels with a 300DPI resolution.   Web pages these days need versions for high resolution mobile devices like laptops and tablets as well as for desktops on old  devices. Other solutions are being worked on to dynamically alter web a page on servers and devices for the display the user is currently using.

Bet you still do not know what to do but perhaps you understand what is going on.

• 2. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!
            anvar_kh Level 1

Thank for the extended clarification. But you're right. I still don't know what to do. I'm creating a logo for the website, with precise dimentions and resolution. Do it in photoshop, and then surprise - it looks ugly on all devises (all computers, new computers, tablets, iphone... )

The only solution I found is to create in in photoshop two times bigger, and then shring the final before posting on web..

I also found in one of the discussions here that reinstalling photoshop helped. Not sure this will be the case, but will try it anyway..

• 3. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!

anvar_kh wrote:

Do it in photoshop, and then surprise - it looks ugly on all devises (all computers, new computers, tablets, iphone... )

That should no be true. 

One thing you should notice with your logo. If you only create one logo image file. Is that it looks different on different devices. For their display vary in capabilities,  size and DPI resolutions. Your logo will vary in size color and sharpness between the displays.

• 4. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!
                anvar_kh Level 1

yes, but it does not look sharp anywhere..

I even tried opening the picture on different devices and applications, and the only place it looks sharp is photoshop...

• 5. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!

anvar_kh wrote:

yes, but it does not look sharp anywhere..

I even tried opening the picture on different devices and applications, and the only place it looks sharp is photoshop...

Was it sharp in Photoshop when you created it and displayed it zoomed to 100% in Photoshop?  If it was it should be just as sharp on that display when displayed by a browser on that machine when not scaled through HTML...

• 6. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!
                    anvar_kh Level 1

That's exactly what the problem is. It looks different on my machine in Photoshop at 100% and in any other viewer (at 100%) and on web... And the image in photoshop looks two times smaller. If i zoom in in photoshop to 200% i get exactly (both size and quality) the same picture as in Preview or on the website..

• 7. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!

I do not have a Mac or Retina Display perhaps it has something to do with the retnia code Adobe put in the Mac version of Photoshop. Or Mac OS... If you have an old mac without a retina display try creating one on it.

I think something may be scaling your image on you on the mac your creating the logo on.

• 8. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!
                        anvar_kh Level 1

maybe.. I don't recall this problem on my old mac, but i also had an old version of photoshop.. Anyway, think i'm gonna try that. looks like i don't have any other choice. Thanks!

• 9. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!
                          ginyu549

I am having the same issue.  creating image in photoshop, but when i upload it to my website it displays at a larger size and seems to be blown up and fuzzy.

• 10. Re: Image in Photoshop looks smaller than in a viewer. Please help!!!
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Mac Retina display users often don't realize that Safari (and possibly other browsers) magnify web page elements and images in the default case.  That's because the Retina display has roughly double the display sites in each dimension (4x the pixels) as compared to most prior displays.

The HTML coding you use to display the content of your web site is what defines how you'll present your web page images and graphics in a user's browser.

I suggest you look over this very simple example for some ideas:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/WebImage/Test.html

View Source to see how it's done.

-Noel