12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 8:14 PM by A.T. Romano

Video output problems version 9

Emerson F

I have tried a number of solutions (rendering, changing presets) but cannot enlarge the video on a burned disc to minimize the black band around the picutre. When viewing DVD on TV, the picture is very small-- it actually hurts to watch some parts of it. I have combined about 15 different sections into one final AVI file that I burn to disc. This is my annual family movie-- I didn't have this issue last year!

• 1. Re: Video output problems version 9
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Emerson F

Let us see if you can work through the details to a successful conclusion. But we will need details.

1. Given you are using Premiere Elements 9. Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update version? And, on what computer operating system?

2. What are the properties of what you put on the Timeline of that project, the one going to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc...video formats, photo (how many and what size in pixels), etc.

But, you talk about 15 different sections going into one final AVI file going to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.  So, the question might be what are the properties of that specific avi file...video compression DV? frame size 720 x 480 4:3 or 16:9 or something else?

3. In view of the properties of those source media, what did you set as the project preset for that project? The project preset that you set should

match the properties of the source media so that the program is directed to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor for editing purposes. Did you set for NTSC or PAL DV Standard, NTSC or PAL DV Widescreen, or something else?

4. When you got to Share/Disc/DVD disc, what did you select as the preset for the burn to DVD disc, NTSC or PAL Dolby DVD or NTSC or PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD?

With the above details to guide us, we can then decide what needs adjustments.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video output problems version 9
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you editing, and what is your project setting?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read -read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

• 3. Re: Video output problems version 9
              Emerson F Level 1

Ok. I hope I can answer this correctly;

1. version is 9.0

operating system is windows 7

2. Final combined video is 720 x 480 with frame rate 29/second; the main problem is the parts where there are still pictures (non video); typical setting is 4000x3000 compressed bits/pixel 3

3. Preset (I think) is NTSC-DV-Widescreen-48kHz

4. the selection to burn is NTSC widescreen Dolby DVD

does this help? and thank you so much for trying to help me

• 4. Re: Video output problems version 9
                Emerson F Level 1

example of black band that shows on video_edited-1.jpgthis is how the display is on my output, very small on the TV when displayed

• 5. Re: Video output problems version 9
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Emerson F

If you have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, the still images that go into the project should not exceed the pixel dimensions of 1000 x 750. If your photos are imported into the project as 4000 x 3000 pixels, they are grossly oversized for the projects and the complications can be many. But, since you are bothered by small images, by any chance were you attempting to resize your originals for this project before you took the images into the project?

But, first order of business is getting the pixel aspect ratio matters under control here. 4:3 standard versus 16:9 widescreen.

When the videos were recorded, what format were they recorded in

720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

or

720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

or

something else.

This information will define our course of action in setting up the project correctly.

Once we have that information, then we decide what project preset (project settings) to establish. This project preset will direct the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor from which to edit.

If set up correctly, you should not have black borders around your images. They should fit the Edit Mode monitor space completely. Exceptions are possible, but not the rule.

The major concerns about the burn to DVD is whether you have a 4:3 or 16:9 project.

Please try to gather together the information indicated. What you do not know perhaps we can piece together from the brand/model/setting for your camera.  We will work together to get the job done.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Video output problems version 9
                    Emerson F Level 1

Hi ATR:

from what I can tell, the project is 4:3; video quality is 1920, whatever that means. (Canon powershot camera). I was not trying to resize images, although I did crop a small few of the photos. So the answer is the single AVI with all content is at 720x480 4:3 29  framesand this is what all of the 15 individual AVI files that were combined to make the "master" also are at; that said, in looking at sample pieces of video that made up each of the 15 AVI files that I combined, there are some many at 1920 x 1080 4:3 at 23 frames; in fact upon further checking, MOST of the individual clips used to create the individual sections were at this latter setting; once I exported to AVI files that I could later use to combine to form the one video, they then became the 720x480 version. 

Does this help?

Emerson

• 7. Re: Video output problems version 9
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Emerson F

Thanks for the helpful information. Let us build on the information step by step.

Given you have a master .avi (presumed DV AVI 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

1. Open Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that you have a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

2. Next File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard.

3. Use Get Media/Files and Folders/ to bring your master .avi into the project media. Drag the .avi to the Timeline workspace Timeline. Does the video image fill the Edit Mode monitor screen? No black borders? Is there a red line over the Timeline content before you go further?

4. Assuming that all is OK, when you get to Share/Disc/DVD disc, then select the preset of NTSC Dolby DVD.

5. What does the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc playback look like on the computer player as well as the TV's DVD player?

If any questions along the line of the suggested workflow, please stop and ask questions and/or ask for clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Video output problems version 9
                        Emerson F Level 1

Hi ATR:

everything good until step 3: there are still black borders, and there is no red line over timeline content, which is the one avi file. The video image does not fill the edit mode screen.

What do you advise now?

Emerson

• 9. Re: Video output problems version 9
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Emerson F

Thanks for the update.

If your AVI was as thought, then the Edit mode monitor would be filed with your image, no black borders. So this is going to force us to look closer at the properties of the master .avi file.

The best results would be from a video properties readout from a program called MediaInfo

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

The link that I usually offer for this has recently been questionable because of bloatware. Use the current one with care.

We might get a quick look at what we have by right clicking the video thumbnail in project media, selecting properties, and seeing what is listed there for frame size and frame rate and whatever else might be useful to use.

I will check your thread in the morning to follow your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Video output problems version 9
                            Emerson F Level 1

Hi ATR:

ok here is what the right click produces:

720X480

pixel depth 32

frame rate 29.97

average data rate: 3.6MB/second

pixel aspect ratio .9091

file size 19.5 GB

165212 key frames

depth 24 bits

Does this help? thank you for your time on this

E

• 11. Re: Video output problems version 9
                              Emerson F Level 1

BY way of update, I burned a disk using teh NTSC standard preset and then the corresponding NTSC Dolby DVD when burning; while it did not completely solve the issue, I did get an improved output with a bigger picture.

• 12. Re: Video output problems version 9
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Emerson F

Thanks for checking out those .avi properties.

That readout has the ring of DV AVI standard 4:3 (720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

If you have Edit Menu/Preferences/General with a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size" and the monitor magnification of "Fit", that space in the Edit Mode monitor should be filled with the image, no black borders.

If that is your source, the project preset would be NTSC DV Standard and the burn to DVD disc preset should be NTSC Dolby DVD.

It sounded promising

BY way of update, I burned a disk using teh NTSC standard preset and then the corresponding NTSC Dolby DVD when burning; while it did not completely solve the issue, I did get an improved output with a bigger picture.

What are the existing problems. Would you posting a screenshot of them help?

Let us see if we can get 100% for what you seek.

Thanks.

ATR