6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 2:02 AM by sjpt

Limit of # of machines/devices reached

MLOUR Level 1

I think I have been authorizing and forgetting to unauthorize different eReaders I'm testing and now I seem to have reached the limit of 6 although I only have one computer and three kobo Readers.  I had trouble with the new Kobo Aura and unplugged it, did a factory reset twice and then tried to set it up in ADE.

WHAT did I do . . . I think I neglected to Erase the Authorizations when I was testing the new Aura so ADE thinks I've authorized 6 devices in total, well I guess in fact  I did although 3 authorizations were the same Aura Reader with Kobo HELP on the phone directing me.

I believe there is a way to clear this up but I don't know what it is. 

Erase ALL authorization for the 3 Readers AND MY COMPUTER then set up a whole new Adobe ID and new password?  Gosh that means I'd have to change my Adobe password everywhere for Adobe including this Adobe Forum.

Man this has been a lousy week for ADE and Me . . .

• 1. Re: Limit of # of machines/devices reached
          MLOUR Level 1

After scrolling through other questions/comments here I guess I'll have to contact CHAT on Monday.  They are not available for ADE on the weekend.

• 2. Re: Limit of # of machines/devices reached
            MLOUR Level 1

further to my problem, reached max allowed devices in ADE, I reviewed my devices since the beginning of using ADE.

Dec 2010 Pangidital gave it away and bought

April 2011 Sony T1 gave it away and bought

April 2013 Kobo AuraHD still own

Nov 2013 Kobo Glo still own

Dec 2013 Kobo Aura returned 2 days later, not as good as the Glo imo

So I have authorized my computer plus 5 Readers and I have NEVER Erased/Deautorized a Reader's authorization!

Yikes no wonder I'm in a mess

• 3. Re: Limit of # of machines/devices reached
              MLOUR Level 1

First THANK YOU to sjpt again for helping me and so many others here.   You are invaluable to this forum.

I went to CHAT this morning and the name of the Service rep is Rakesh.  He was very helpful once I got across that all I needed was to erase old authorizations because I had reached my max even though I only had 3 devices.

Bottom line, they did not erase the 6 used up authorizations,  they increased mine from 6 to 10.  So now we know how this works. 

Sadly I won't know until Christmas day if I will be able to Authorize a new (3rd Reader/4th Device) eReader.  I'm hopeful that I now have room for 4 more devices, need only 1 more, and I just need to remember to de-authorize as I go.  For example I'm getting a new computer next year . . . must de-authorize this computer before replacing it.  Seems pretty simple once we know how it all works.

NOW for the future, my right hand over heart  . . .  "I promise to de-authorize all devices and computers when I discard or REPLACE them" 

Thanks for all the help

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Limit of # of machines/devices reached
                JeffAUS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but de-authorizing your devices and computers won't help will it?

When you deauthorize, the dialog box says "Erasing this computer's authorization will not increase the number of allowed authorizations you have left"

Surely the whole point of deauthorizing is so that you can reuse that "license" somewhere else?

• 5. Re: Limit of # of machines/devices reached
                  MLOUR Level 1

I saw that but at the time it didn't register.

". . . .  so that you can reuse that "licence" somewhere else"  more importantly to toss an outdated Reader and replace with a new one.

Perhaps I should go back to ADE "Chat" and see what they have to say about this.  Hopefully sjpt will read your post on this thread and can advise.

• 6. Re: Limit of # of machines/devices reached
                    sjpt Level 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but de-authorizing your devices and computers won't help will it?

When you deauthorize, the dialog box says "Erasing this computer's authorization will not increase the number of allowed authorizations you have left"

I can't correct you on that one; if that is what is says it is probably right (though ADE error messages are often misleading or totally incorrect).

I had always understood that de-authorizing increased the number left, but could well be wrong.

Surely the whole point of deauthorizing is so that you can reuse that "license" somewhere else?

Mainly; thought it can be for when you need to register with a different ID.

Sensible software would allow you to change registration without needing to use an explicit (hidden) deregistration first.

A properly designed sytem would have a web site where you could at least browser current registrations, and preferably edit them.

Unfortunately, this ADE ADEPT infrastructure is about as far from properly designed as one can imagine;

quite a good match for the bug-ridden and awkward to use ADE2 really.

~~~

The only reason I keep posting here is that I feel that Adobe's (relatively) open ADEPT DRM system is preferable to Amazon's locked down strategy.

However, a DRM system for ebooks needs to be really well implemented, as it is mainly targetted at people with very little computer savvy.

As it is, Adobe have managed to implement a system that is at best awkward and confusing,

and when it goes wrong (as it often does) a challenge even to people very used to computers and their oddities.

As I've said before, Adobe should be ashamed of themselves; 

I am sure there are people working for the company who are ashamed of the shambles of ADEPT and ADE.