15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 3:51 PM by A.T. Romano

PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out

ABB654 Level 1

After a while of not using PE 8 on dell windows 8 machine went back to try to edit a video.  Uninstalled then re-installed (probelm may not have deacitivated before uninstaling).  De-actvated on another computer then unistalled.  Thanks for any help. 

• 1. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AVBB654

I am not clear what tool bar (ribbon) you are referring to. Could you supply more details.

And, if you are working with Premiere Elements 8

a. work from the 8.0.1 Update of the program

b. work with the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features turned Off

c. make sure you have Edit Menu/Preferences/General set correctly for "Enable GPU Playback"

Right now let us get in sync by what you are pointing to by "PE8 options on tool bar (ribbon).

The following is a screenshot of the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Timeline workspace. Please point out where on it you are pointing to.

V8.JPG

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
            ABB654 Level 1

The drop down menus (see screen shot just below).  The program won’t let me select anything from “file” or “Edit” etc across the top.  I just reinstalled for the second time today.  How do I down load 8.1?  Very frustrating thanks for any help you can provide!  The chat place was not helpful.  From my screen shot you can see it is not even loading all the details you have in your sceen shot. 

scree shot 3.png

• 3. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ABB654

If you go to the File Menu, can you click on it to get a drop down list of options? From what you wrote so far, I am understanding no. But double check for New, followed by Project under the File Menu.

If that is possible, then select New followed by Project and set your project preset in the new project dialog.

Typically you would get the 8.0.1 Update from within the project Help Menu/Update. But, if that is not possible, you and download and install it from the following link without opening Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 initially.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

Please update us on your progress.

Important. As soon as possible, shut off the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features.

More on that later if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                ABB654 Level 1

I can go to file menu, get a drop down, and start a new project but then it just to the screen shot I previously sent and everything remains grayed out.  I found and ran the updater to 8.0.1 it said it completed.  I can’t get any of the drop down to come down to shut off the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features.

• 5. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ABB654

Please excuse the extra steps but I do not want to take anything for granted....

You say

I can go to file menu, get a drop down, and start a new project but then it just to the screen shot I previously sent and everything remains grayed out.

Do you get this far

8---1-1.jpg

If so, if you click on New and then Project, do you not see

8 2.JPG

And, then, if you click OK to the New Project Dialog, do you not see the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Timeline workspace (screenshot included in post in this thread  (numbered 1)?

It may take a few seconds for the workspace to open. Are you giving it enough time to open?

Please review and let us know the outcome? We will work on the Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer once we get into the Premiere Elements workspace.

I do not think this is a deactivation matter since you are not getting any message that you have exceeded the Adobe's requirement, purchased serial number on no more than 2 of your computers. We will talk more about that later.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                    ABB654 Level 1

Here’s a screen shot of that process:  (ends with no time line)

Wait 9 mins this is what there is:

• 7. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ABB654

The screenshoot did not come through. Can you try again?

In reflecting on that matter...

If you have latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and you are running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges, then I think it is time for an uninstall, run through with ccleaner, and reinstall of the program with the antivirus and firewalls turned Off. Have you been there and done all that previously in that order?

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I realize that you have said that you have tried the uninstall/reinstall. Let us see what your screenshot looks like.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ABB654,

When I encounter an issue with PrE's GUI not performing properly, my first thought is to update the video driver. Just to get that possibility out of the way early, here are a few questions:

1. What is the make and model of your video card/chip?
                        2. What is the video driver version (number and date) that is installed on your Dell?
                        3. Is that the latest version from nVidia, or AMD/ATI?
                        4. With a Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, and some other major computer mfgrs., one should check with their Web site (Dell, in your case), as many of those companies will re-wrap the drivers from nVidia, or AMD/ATI, and one needs the Dell, or other, version.
                        5. Did that driver update change the way that the GUI is performing?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Perhaps you can give ABB654 some tips on posting that last screenshot which did not appear as stated. In post 2, ABB654 managed to post a screenshot, so I am not sure what happened on this second time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I noticed that, and as the initial screen-caps came through, assumed that there was a one-time glitch in the process, with the later post. However, if the initial screen-caps were done via a Web browser, and the later one was attempted via an e-mail, POP client, that would explain why it did not come through.

@ ABB654,

As ATR points out, the attempted screen-cap in Reply #6 did not come through. If you had accessed the forum via an e-mail account, or from a mobile device, when making Reply #6, you will have better results if you access the forum via a Web browser, when attempting to attach a JPEG, PNG or GIF.

Good luck, and please attach that additional screen-cap via a browser.

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks.

I am hoping that the screenshot may give us a clue as to what is happening. May not, put needs to be ruled in or out.

A while back a user was put through the video card driver version drill and the video card driver was not involved. That one turned out, for reasons unknown, to be related to users use of Windows High Contrast Theme. In those instances, the interface problem was more dramatic than what is being described here.

ABB654 results from looking at the video card driver involved should be interesting.

ATR

• 12. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                                ABB654 Level 1

Here’s a screen shot of that process:  (ends with no time line)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Wait 9 mins this is what there is:

3.jpg

Thanks any help greatly apreciated.  Not sure how to check results from looking at the video card driver involved?

• 13. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ABB654

Maybe, just maybe ....

Start again. File Menu/New/Project

When you get to the Save In: field of the new project dialog, browse to and set that for the Adobe Folder

The new project dialog Save In field should look like what is in this screenshot

pe8.JPG

The hit OK and see if the project opens in a few seconds if at all.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                                    ABB654 Level 1

You’re a genius that worked perfect!  Thanks

• 15. Re: PE 8 options on tool bar (ribbon) are all grayed out
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ABB654

I could not have done it without your great help. Thank you so much for that screenshot.

I am standing in front of my computer applauding your success. Great job.

As you develop your workflow, keep track of your Save In: location in the new project preset. The project file (project.prel) save location is set there. It might change from time to time. So check to make sure the Save In is where you intend. The Adobe default location is Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/and in your case 8.0.

Also, check out Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Discs where the save location for the Scratch Discs files are set.

Make sure all these files are going to a hard drive space with enough free space to accept them.

More on that later if necessary.

Looking forward to learning of your progress as you move forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Thank you again for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR