Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player stutters for 1 second then continues normally

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Problem is very weird. I have Mozilla Firefox, IE, latest flash (11.9), Win 8.1 All latest updates. Online video playback with flash player stutters in a very weird way - even if video is fully downloaded it stutters for a second irregulary and then continues normally as if nothing happen. This stutter is similar like someone just opened something on a slow hdd and thus makes the flash playback stutter for just a second (even though i have an ssd that is very fast; rest of computers is i7, r9 280x, so a fast and modern computer). This happens in irregular intervals on both browsers. Video is watchable but this is very annoying. I tried reinstalling just about everything except the OS itself. I disabled hardware acceleration and set cash to unlimited in flash settings, still nothing. This happens with youtube as well as all other flash video in both browsers. Ofcourse other video playback is fine (.avi, .mp4 etc). It can happen 5 times in 5 minutes, and than nothing for half an hour and then starts again.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

I have the same problem. It just happen only with Windows 8.1. My System: Core i7-3770, 16 GB Ram, 256 GB SSD and a stable VDSL2 25 Mbit internet connection. System is up to date. Newest flash version is also installed: 11.9.900.170.

To temporary solve the problem, i go to task manager under details and set the cpu affinity for FlashPlayerPlugin_11_9_900_170.exe to 1 core.

With Flash Version 11.5 the problem is gone, but it's a old (unsave) version of flash.

Google Chrome is the only browser withou

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 221 Replies 221
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this with one or two videos, but.... I downloaded them and they do the same thing in VLC Player, so I know the problem is in the video itself.
Seeing it randomly on the web would lead me to believe there's something in your network drivers that needs updating or repair. Usually "chatter" is a streaming issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It just happen only with Windows 8.1. My System: Core i7-3770, 16 GB Ram, 256 GB SSD and a stable VDSL2 25 Mbit internet connection. System is up to date. Newest flash version is also installed: 11.9.900.170.

To temporary solve the problem, i go to task manager under details and set the cpu affinity for FlashPlayerPlugin_11_9_900_170.exe to 1 core.

With Flash Version 11.5 the problem is gone, but it's a old (unsave) version of flash.

Google Chrome is the only browser without this problem.

I tried all. No problems with Windows 7 and Windows 8.0. It's only under Windows 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, finally someone with the same problem. I was starting to think I am the only one. I tried Google Chrome, works flawesly.

Do you have a link to flash 11.5. I found at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html but its a 146 mb, im not sure if I am looking at the right stuff?

Anyways it seems like a bug with flash player since Google Chrome is ok and problem I have is with Firefox and IE. Would be good if someone from Adobe is reading this.

TX a lot for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats the right file (146 MB) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_11.5.502.149_archive.zip

Uninstall the Flash Player plugin from your system and run "flashplayer11_5r502_149_win.exe" from the Zip.

This version is blocked by Firefox. You must click to enable it. Enter "about:config" in the adress bar and set "extensions.blocklist.enabled" to false you can disable the warning but it's not recommend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel that my problem is identical. I'm glad I'm not the only one, I was starting to question my sanity!

Most of us seem to have SSDs, so I went and disabled my Intel RapidStore, which seemed to help a little bit, I only got one short burst of lag with two 1080p youtube videos (The higher resolutions tend to lag more, or so it seems). I think my SSD might also be partitioned, using some as a pagefile as well, but I hesitate to disable my pagefile with only 8gb of RAM. Anyone want to try just taking their SSD out? (I have a laptop, a little less feasible)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think something as drastic as removing SSD drives should be undertaken lightly. You could be onto something as I have a laptop using a SSD cache drive (a little less conventional) but Adobe should really be looking at their own code especially if things worked fine a few releases back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I would suggest is using Google Chrome. It works flawlesly. I dont know whos faulty coding is it, Adobe or Firefox, but Chrome is no brainer. And importing bookmarks from Firefox is 1 step procedure. Taking out SSD is not an option for me beacuse it adds a great deal to my system performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably a good shout. I don't think Firefox can be blamed for faulty coding as in my case (not sure about the guys on this thread) Internet Explorer is similary affected. I guess Chrome is good because Google actually embeds the code and probably QA tests/tweaks it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue since upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 with Flash 11.6+ (although I think it happened occaisionally in Windows 8 as well).  Sound continues uninterrupted, but the video frame rate goes to 0 for .5 to 1 second, then races for a second to catch up dropping some frames.  This can happen up to once or twice a minute, or go for several minutes without stopping.  It is extremely annoying and happens in Firefox 26 and IE 11.  Disabling hardware acceleration (an option not even available when using the GeForce card) doesn't help, nor does the tip about about disabling Protected Mode (can't even tell if it was actually disabled by creating that file).  This happens on all sites that use Flash.

I don't have an SSD, just a 7200 rpm 750 GB HDD. My system is a Core-i7-2680QM (quad core), 8 GB RAM, with Intel HD Graphics 3000 and GeForce GT 540M (2GB video ram).  It seems like most people having this issue have Core-i7 systems.  As noted in a related thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5951353) it doesn't matter whether I'm using the Intel or the GeForce video card, and updating/reinstalling the drivers makes no difference.

Installing and using Google Chrome is the only solution that works for me.  I think we can conclude that this is a bug in Flash Player.  I'd prefer not to have to a third browser installed just for watching video, but even since version 11 Flash Player has been crashing more and having more issues than before so maybe using Google's version is the only way around it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 29, 2013 Dec 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you maybe onto sonething. Mine is a sandy bridge which is like laptop i7 equivalent and I get similar ish. Adobe need to address this and also properly QA test in more depth before releasing buggy updates. Like you rolling back to 11.5 fixes things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe or Firefox, but Chrome is no brainer. And importing bookmarks from Firefox is 1 step procedure.

visa trung quoc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a 64bit Browser (Waterfox - http://www.waterfoxproject.org/, Firefox 29 Nightly - 64bit - http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-29.0a1.en-US.win64-x86_6...) the problem seems to be gone. I use now Firefox 29 Nightly and all running smooth but not all addons are compatible with this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the problem occurs with 11.6.602.167 and then works fine with 11.5.502.149. I get more of an overall choppiness with 11.6.602.167 and beyond. Difficult to specify a URL as it seems to occur on virtually all flash videos. Especially noticeable watching sports.

I haven't tried the 64 bit browser method as I only use 32 bit browsers as they are the more commonly used and work with virtually all add ons.

I think Funky Brewster may be onto something with core i7 processors. I have a sandybridge 2830QM which is basically the laptop variant of an i7.

Thanks,

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Core i7-3770K Processor. Windows 7 is installed on another Harddisk - no problems. Previously i have Windows 8.0 installed - no problems. The problem occurs only under Windows 8.1 and a 32bit Browser (Firefox, IE). Flash runs only with Chrome or a 64bit Browser or Flash 11.5/11.6 smoothly under Windows 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God knows what's going on. It seems whatever Adobe has done with Flash post 11.5 has caused issues in various different ways and various configurations. Suspect it has something do with hooking up more closely with Microsoft. Ever since the abomination of Windows 8 things seem to have gone downhill. Was that roughly when 11.6 surfaced? There is something within 11.6 that doesn't play nice (whether it be lag stutter or choppiness) and has sustained itself in all subsequent releases (11.9 has been particulary bad) and it is now upto Adobe to figure out what they have done. This particular forum in recent months seems to have grown rapidly in the amount of issues people are having with flash. It's easy to blame GPU drivers and even Internet Explorer 11 (which I am no fan of) but I think Adobe has to take responsibility for some of the issues.

All I know is across 5 machines I have seen problems on three.

My Alienware Sandybridge 2820 QM (Windows 7) - choppy performance post 11.5 (everything else including HTML5 runs beautifully)

My wife's weak Dell Inspiron (Windows 7) running a Pentium M (I think) runs flash pretty much fine right upto current 11.9

My old Dell XPS laptop (Vista) running an old core duo cpu - seems to run flash fine right upto current 11.9

Work computer (windows 7) with i7 - choppy performance with latest flash

My brother's laptop (windows 7) with 2860QM - choppy performance with flash 11.6 and beyond

Maybe Sandybridge CPUs are exhibiting the issue only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We would appreciate it if you could provide the following infomation:

Could you please provide the video or game URL?

Can you confirm this problem occurs with 11.6.602.167 and it works fine with 11.5.502.149?

You can get the old Flash Player from here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html

Thanks,

Ting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ting

As for a URL, this problem occurs with all Flash video I've tried, including Youtube and Hulu any Flash video on either of thsoe sites would qualify.  Just make sure you're not watching via HTML 5 -- I've set my Youtube preference to default to HTML 5 instead of Flash, but most of the stuff I watch seems to only be available in Flash format.  I haven't been playing games lately so I'm not sure about that.

I can confirm that the problem didn't happen with Windows 8 and Flash 11.5 or lower, but I haven't rolled back tp 11.5 since upgrading to 8.1.  Other people have confirmed that 11.5 works, but I won't want the security issues of using out-of-date software.

Switching to Google Chrome is non-starter for me because I need functionality that is only available in Firefox (plugins, and Asian language-specific font settings).  Chrome still has a long way to go to catch up.  I might give a 64-bit FF + 64-bit Flash a try as that is also reported to work, but there is no official support for 64-bit FF and there are a few differently flavors of it (Nightly, Waterfox) which is confusing.  Also 32-bit plugins (i.e. almost all of them) don't work, so again, I'll be installing a browser basically just for using Flash.

PS: My processor model is Core-i7-2670QM (laptop 2nd generation I think).  I just realized I mistyped it in my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the configuration of your machine? Is it with a i7 CPU too?

Thanks,

Ting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  I installed Waterfox 26 and using that the problem hasn't occurred.  Also all of my FF Extensions automatically installed and work just fine and it runs a little bit faster than FF.  I'm going to use it as my default browser and see how it goes.  The version of Flash installed is 11.9.900.170.  This is my new preferred solution so I don't have to use a totally different browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe still needs to address this. It's good that some workarounds have been found but most people use 32 bit browsers and like previously mentioned 32 bit plug ins generally don't work in 64 bit browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried some youtube videos with IE/Firefox 11.9.900.170 on Windows 7 + Dell Laptop + i7 3632QM and didn't reproduce this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think there are enough posts and topics to say that there is a problem with Flash 11.6 and upwards. Adobe has definetely injected something from this version that is causing quite a few people problems. I notice the choppiness most prominently on things like BBC iplayer and ITV player. The NBA site has seen other forum topics brought up too. On youtube some videos are better than others but choppiness still exists, it is a bit more subtle and difficult to detect. Flash player should be able to provide a butter smooth experience on our hardware which is powerful enough by many factors to cope - it's just video playback. Maybe Adobe should look into unravelling the code so the latest versions closely resemble 11.5

The problem we are all going to have is at some point websites will start insisting one has the latest flash player installed which means rolling back to/being on an older working version is not an option.

Cheers

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried waterfox and not much better. I think my issue is slightly different as mine is a general lousy flash performance with choppiness especially noticeable watching fast paced sport. Html5 vids run butter smooth. But the common denominator is still 11.6 and beyond. I still think it's dodgy adobe code. My performance is inconsistent as sometimes it settles down but maybe that's just my eyes getting used to it! Switching off gpu acceleration doesn't help neither does switching between dedicated it integrated gpu. I still think adobe needs to stop constant updates and tinkering and address all out issues

Cheers

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ting

My laptop is also a Dell (XPS 15, 2012 model), but there are many different types of i7 processors and the problem doesn't seem to occur with all of them.  Also, are you using Windows 8.1?  This problem only got really bad with 8.1 (I'm using Pro Pack with Media Center).

@Scottboy

I totally agree the evidence points to a bug in Flash Player introduced around version 11.6.  I'm pretty sure it was 11.6 that started giving me other video problems (especially the video stopping but sound continuing) even with Windows 8. Just because it only happens on some processors doesn't make it the fault of the processor, especially when all other video and games run perfectly smoothly.

Unfortunately, after using Waterfox for a day, I can report that it does NOT alleviate the problem.  The delay is a little shorter, but I'm chalking that up to its faster overall performance.  I'm still going to use it instead of FF on this system as my main browser, but for video Google Chrome (i.e. not using the Flash Player plugin) is the only solution.

[OT] Just to be clear, I'm running a totally clean install -- I went to the trouble of making a USB Windows 8.1 installer with the work-around that stops the installer from blocking your valid 8.0 product key, and I manually installed the newest/best version of every driver and even called Dell support to double-check which video driver I should use.  I haven't tried using FF with all other extensions disabled, but I don't see how that would help since the problem occurrs in IE as well, which has no extensions to speak of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines