8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 7:32 AM by b2martin_a

re: Automate - photomerge

TOGAR Level 1

About 1/2 of the time I cannot create a panorama from my images shot specifically for this purpose. These are ARW files from my Sony NEX6. When requesting "add open files" my message is "documents must first be saved". After saving all the images in various forms (jpg, tiff,dng, etc) the message is the same. Sometimes there is no problem, and the resulting panorama is great. What is the problem?

• 1. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
          Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

Hi TheOldGuyAtRiverside,

I have moved this discussion to the Photoshop General forum, where you should be able to get more help on this issue.

Alec

• 2. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
            b2martin_a Level 2

I do the following in Photoshop CS6.

1. Select the photos (RAW Files) in Bridge.

2, Click Tools > Photoshop > Photomerge.

3. In Photoshop, select how you what Photomerge to merge the files and click OK. 

Photoshop will open each RAW file and then merge them.  I then do Merge Visible, Flatten, and crop.  I use content aware fill on some images to fill missing areas. 

• 3. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
              TOGAR Level 1

I follow this procedure as you outlined. When I select the files to be merged and check off how they are to be merged I receive the message "Documents must be saved before they can be merged" and no type of saving or file type will proceed beyond this point no matter what I do. These are raw files saved specifically for merging following the rules for panoramas as outlined (overlap, level, manual settings, etc.). Other times everything moves along smoothly and the panorama is successful. I cannot find a commonality that defines success or failure of the procedure.

• 4. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
                b2martin_a Level 2

When you click Photomerge in step 2 you should see a Photomerge drop down in Photoshop with a list of the files you selected in Bridge.  In the Photomerge drop down in the Layout box Auto will be selected by default, but you can select the procedure you want Photomerge to use.  In the Source Files box you should see a list of the files you selected in Bridge.  Files should be selected in the source box and a check mark in the box for Blend Images Together.  Click the OK button and Photoshop should then open each file and proceed with the merge. 

• 5. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
                  TOGAR Level 1

I guess I am not explaining correctly. When I click photomerge and select "Add Open Files" from the menu, to merge my raw (or tiff or psd files previously saved in any format) the message "Documents must be saved before they can be merged" appears. At this point I cannot proceed. As I stated, I have on many occasions created and printed panorama files from raw file images successfully. Why so many stop dead in the described manor, I do not know. I was hoping that someone had similar experiences and was able to correct the operation.

• 6. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
                    b2martin_a Level 2

The flow I listed allows you to merge from RAW files without saving the rendered RAW file as a jpg, tif, etc file. 

If you have JPG, TIF, or PSD files open in Photoshop and select "Add Open Files"  in Photomerge it should work.  If you want to merge a RAW file using the "Add Open Files" I don't think that will work - you need to save the rendered RAW file first and then open the saved file in Photoshop.  

• 7. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
                      TOGAR Level 1

I repeat: 'been there, done that, results as stated (sometimes, sometimes not).

• 8. Re: re: Automate - photomerge
                        b2martin_a Level 2

I have never experienced that problem.