Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User defined variable removes line breaks

Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else noticed that if you use User Defined Varibles, that the designer will remove the line break tag if the line break tag is followed by the variable?

If I do the following (which I do heavily in my help file0:

Create a User Deifned Variable,
Create a new topic,
place text in the topic,
place a line break,
insert your user defined variable,
save the topic.

Now if you right click on the topic and view it, it will display properly. If you open the topic again, you will find that the line breaks have now been removed, if you don't save the topic, it's ok, but if you save, of course you loose the line breaks.

Is this a program issue, or is this a user issue? I can't really tell. I would expect that my line breaks shouldn't be removed like this.

By the way, I am using RoboHelp 7.00.145.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anubisascends,

I've not seen this problem so followed your steps exactly. The line break is not removed on saving when I followed the steps.

Exactly how are you inserting the line break?
Exactly how are you inserting the variable?
Are you placing the variable in the main body of the topic or in the topic header?

If possible, can you post a sample of the code before and after the save?
Lastly, what are the style attributes - does the same happen when you put a line break in after a normal style?

Hopefully with the above information I can be more help
thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I don't even have to save the topic, I can just switch to HTML view, then back to Design view to get this to happen.

Here is a test

Add a line of text, (This is a test)
Inset a line break (Shift + Enter)
Add another line of text (This is another test)

Here is the code result:

<p>This is a test<br>
This is another test</p>

Now if I do the following:

Add a line of text, (This is a test)
Insert a line break (Shift + Enter)
Insert user Defined Variable (Right click | Insert User Defined Variable)
Go to HTML view, then return to Design View

I get the following code result if I go back to the HTML view:

<p>This is a test<uservariable name=12x12Rect x-showvalue x-value="You should now have a 12 x 12 rectangle that starts at the 0,0 coordinate.">You should now have a 12 x 12 rectangle that starts at the 0,0 coordinate.</uservariable></p>

As you can see, there is no <br> tag to indicate the line break.

Thanks.

Edit - I am placing the variable in the Body, and this happens using any style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also submitted this as a bug report to Adobe, as I can't get it to work on any of the computers that has RoboHelp, regardless of the project type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily for me, I am only using these variables with the line breaks before it for a specific purpose, and I can get around this by setting up a new style.

The style is set to have 0pt. spacing before and after it, so I can just start a new paragraph.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't tried it yet but I am told CTRL Shift Enter will give a line break.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Peter,

You are correct, Ctrl + Shift + Enter will give me a line break as well, unfortunately, the problem still happens.

So far, the only workaround I could find was from my last post, just create a CSS style that has the paragraph spacing before set to 0pts and has the paragraph spacing after set to 0pts.

Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp