5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 3:26 AM by Willi Adelberger

Using Master pages and text frames

symoore23

Hello,

I have created a text frame on a master page and have specified a style

I can add my custom text to the text frame by pressing ctrl + shift + text frame.

If I change the style it applies to all pages.  But if I move or resize the text frame on the master page it doesn't apply to all the pages because it has become its own layer on that page.

What do you do so that you can change the text frame and the master page and still be able to add your own content in the pages that the master page is based on.

Thanks very much for your help

• 1. Re: Using Master pages and text frames
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would recommend not to use master text frame at all, except primary text frames from ID CS6 and later. Only text frames for fixed items like page number, running headlinies, artifacts, etc., I would put on the master page.

But it does not create a new lay when you override any item from the master page.

• 2. Re: Using Master pages and text frames
            symoore23 Level 1

Thank you for the quick response.

At the moment I am using a text frame for the page numbers.

I am also using a text frame on the Master page for a page title.

What do you recommend using instead of a text frame for this page title.

thank you

• 3. Re: Using Master pages and text frames

Why do you need to override the page title?

Use either a text variable, a section marker or create another master page based upon that master page with a different text in the placeholder frame. Only content should appear on the pages, everything else, like running headers or page numbers or artifacts have their place on the master page without overriding them.

When you later create accessible PDFs or EPUB this difference is important. You can read out loud content in Acrobat for Accessibility, only text from the page, not from the master is used for this, and when you export an EPUB only items from the page, not from the master are included as it should be.

If you need text to flow, when something changes, set up your page with margins and borders that will help to make changes later.

• 4. Re: Using Master pages and text frames
                symoore23 Level 1

Thank you

The page title changes on every page.  I want to be able to add a new page title on each page without making it into a new layer.  Is this possible

• 5. Re: Using Master pages and text frames

You will never make a new layer when overriding an element, but you should work with layers, but this is something different as you use this term.

You can insert a section marker in a text frame and select a page in the page panel and start a new section. Use the definition of the the section to specify the section marker's text.

Or you can use a text variable based on text in a paragraph style or character style on that page automatically.