13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 10:45 AM by chucktheweevil

Default still duration not changing

chucktheweevil Level 1

Hi -

I'm trying to insert stills into a timeline and have control over the length of each still. In preferences, I change the "Default still duration from 25 to 400, and no changes - the stills all hit the timeline at 4 seconds each.

Is anyone aware of this, or know a workaraound. Im not lookijg forward to adjusting each of 50 clips manually.

I really think one of the big things missing from PE is the ability to multi select clips and change the duration in the timeline, but instead you have to rubber band each one .... and they never are the same.

Thanks,

Chuck

• 1. Re: Default still duration not changing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

Did you make the change to the Duration before, or after you Imported the Still Images into the Project?

The Edit>Preferences>General>Still Image Duration will ONLY effect Stills that you Import AFTER the change has been made. It will have no effect on Stills already Imported.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Default still duration not changing
            A.T. Romano Level 7

chucktheweevil

My recollection is that you are working with Premiere Elements 12. Is that correct?

Not sure if you are in a NTSC or PAL set up. So for now I will assume NTSC.

As Hunt has mentioned, important...change the Still Image Default Duration (given in frames) in preferences first and then import the stills.

But, once you have the stills on the Timeline, you can select the ones that need duration adjust, right click anywhere in the selection, select Time Stretch, and the set the Time Stretch dialog Duration to whatever you want.

Please review all and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Default still duration not changing
              chucktheweevil Level 1

Thanks Bill- I tried both ways, and same result. However if I double click the still - time shows right. When I drag to timeline it defaults to 4 seconds.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Default still duration not changing
                A.T. Romano Level 7

chucktheweevil

In your reply to Hunt, are you saying that you tried the Time Stretch applied to all method that I suggested, and it did not work?

What happened? After you set the Time Stretch duration at whatever, did you ended up with 00;00;04;00?

ATR

• 5. Re: Default still duration not changing
                  chucktheweevil Level 1

Hi, yes I am using PE 12. Thanks for replying.

I can right click any still in the timeline and adjust via Time stretch tool. However, I can not select multiple and do the same - the time stretch box doesn't respond. So I have to do each still one by one.

I am looking for a way (with some control, and not instant movie) to fit my stills into a given soundtrack.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Default still duration not changing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For fitting my Still Images to an existing Audio Track, I first use the * key to add Markers to the beats, then manually adjust the Duration of my Stills to that.

Now, I more often edit my stills, and then use my SmartSound Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition, to edit my soundtrack.

Depends on what I have to work with.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Default still duration not changing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

Is your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer?

Selecting multiple clips and using Time Stretch to change the duration of each all at one time should be working so please excuse what you may already know. When you say that Time Stretch is not responding, have you checked the duration field to make sure that you definitely cannot move the numbers. Sometimes those readings found look like they are inactive when they really are active.

Hunt's suggestion, the unnumbered markers placement, came before the beat marker feature.

The version of that which I favor is placing the numbered markers manually or with the * key if you have the keyboard for it.

Then, if you have more than 1 stil in Project Assets, select them all, right click the selection, select Create Slideshow, and make sure you have a check mark next to "Place Images/Clips at Unnumbered Markers". You can make further adjustments at the Timeline level.

But, it troubles me that Time Stretch is not working for you.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: Default still duration not changing
                        chucktheweevil Level 1

Wow. That unnumbered markers trick may help!

And I may know the reason for my uniqueness. I have now converted to Mac Mountain Lion (after using windows for many years - Mac much more stable:-)

I've been gong through a learning curve with the nuances, especially  the keyboard shorts (I need to google things like how to get home, and place beat markers)

But yes, multiple selection on frames will not work with time stretch, and duration is inactive.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Default still duration not changing
                          chucktheweevil Level 1

So a more general question here .. I liked the advice of beat markers (I had used them in the past, and forgot!) But now I try to use * to seat beat marker (with MAc keybopard) and it doesnt work. I tried to google mac keyboard shortcuts ot tips and seems nothing is out there. I also tried to customize my keyboard in settings and none of thos keys work. It sems the only way for me to put a beat marker in is through the drop down menu on the left of the timeline.

Am i just unlucky, or slow ??

• 10. Re: Default still duration not changing
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. That keyboard shortcut only works with the numbers keypad -- which Apple decided was no longer necessary.

• 11. Re: Default still duration not changing
                              chucktheweevil Level 1

Actually, now that I moved my music to the soundtrack (as opposed to Audio ... duh) , I can place beat markers with a modified keyboard shortcut.

Thanks Steve

• 12. Re: Default still duration not changing
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

chucktheweevil

Although the *key is convenient, if your computer does not offer it, you can still place unnumbered markers.

Please check out the Premiere Elements 12 Markers Tab as per the screenshot from my Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit

At the position of the Timeline Indicator

Markers

Timeline Marker

Set Timeline Marker

Unnumbered Marker

Markers.jpg

But, if beat markers work for you, that is great.

ATR

• 13. Re: Default still duration not changing
                                  chucktheweevil Level 1

Boy, if only I would use this S/W all the time - I would love it. But my job keeps me away from any fun time until Novemeber each year, (Making Xmas video gifts) when I inevitably have to relearn all my stuff all over aagain  for one reason or another. This time was due to switch to Mac.

Thanks for all the help!!