7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2007 5:10 AM by thismarty

January 2008

BSpero Level 1
      So, the FAQ now says there will be announcement in January of 2008. I mean really, I am not surprised at all. No faith in Adobe from the Director community, and this adds to that. Seriously, with Adobe AIR and the capabilities that Flash and Flex are bringing to the desktop with that, it makes investing the new version questionable.
        • 1. Re: January 2008
          Level 7
          If it's $99 maybe.

Have you really tried AIR though? I spent an afternoon investigating it, and
          by the time I was done, I lost all enthusiasm for it.

TR

"BSpero" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fjmcr2$bkh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > So, the FAQ now says there will be announcement in January of 2008. I mean
          > really, I am not surprised at all. No faith in Adobe from the Director
          > community, and this adds to that. Seriously, with Adobe AIR and the
          > capabilities that Flash and Flex are bringing to the desktop with that, it
          > makes investing the new version questionable.
          >

• 2. Re: January 2008
            Aquilonian
            AIR is not a competitor, for it to work the users need to install some 'air plugim'.Not even the flash communite likes it, they already have Zinc
            Now, what it shows is how someone inside Adobe definatelly should be fired.Adobe is now making only mess after mess.Screw flash, leave Director, waste time and resources on brainless things like thermo and AIR...
            The bubble is about to burst
            • 3. Re: January 2008
              Steveorevo Level 1
              Hello Silverlight and the XNA framework...
              • 4. Re: January 2008
                axelrad
                The January 2008 announcement was a huge improvement from the previous announcement that it would be ready in 2007 and that they would give 30 days notice. That clearly was not going this month of December.
                • 5. Re: January 2008
                  budgiebird Level 1
                  Hey! Merry Christmas to all you Director guys and gals out there, so Director wont be in my Santa Sack ;-( but .... here's for a Happy New Year. All the best, Ron.
                  • 6. Re: January 2008
                    Steveorevo Level 1
                    I don't think the January 2008 announcement was a huge improvement as it is a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Clearly Adobe is touting vaporware...
                    • 7. Re: January 2008
                      thismarty
                      Personally, I think that Adobe truly wanted to get a new games-savvy Director 11 out the door in 2007. They just got blind-sided by failing to accurately estimate the depth of neglect the product suffered under Macromedia over the past 6 years (since 8.5).

The fact that they keep pushing the date back, and announcing it, indicates to me that they are still standing by Director, are determined to get the update done right, and want to keep the community informed as such.