3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 3:30 PM by Todd_Kopriva Branched from an earlier discussion.

GPU issue

g_gomm Level 1

So I'm having the same issue.  However my machine is not using all cores and is rendering very slowly.  I have a mac pro running os 10.9, 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core, 64GB RAM, and my graphics card is an NVidia Quadro 4000 with Cuda version 5.5.28.  I've looked for updates, but everything seems to be current.  Not sure what I should do?

Fast Draft:Available
      Texture Memory:1515.00 MB
      Ray-tracing:GPU

OpenGL

Vendor:NVIDIA Corporation
      Device:NVIDIA Quadro 4000 OpenGL Engine
      Version:2.1 NVIDIA-8.18.22 310.40.05f01
      Total Memory:2.00 GB
      Shader Model:-

CUDA

Driver Version:5.5
      Devices:1 (Quadro 4000)
      Current Usable Memory:691.00 MB (at application launch)
      Maximum Usable Memory:2.00 GB
        • 1. Re: GPU issue
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What is your problem, exactly?

Please be as specific as possible about what you are experiencing, what you expect, and the difference between the two.

• 2. Re: GPU issue
            g_gomm Level 1

Sorry, I see that this was branched off of a previous discussion.  What I was referring to by saying that I was having the same problem is that the shader model is greyed out on my GPU Information window. 

I am trying to render a Ray-traced 3D comp but the render times seem to be excessive, and the system is not being utilized as fully as it could.  It appears to me from my menu meters that only one core is being used at a time.  In my efforts to find the cause, the only thing I noticed that seemed odd was that my shader model was greyed out and so I wondered if that might be a problem - maybe my machine is not up to spec?

I expected to see all cores functioning and render times decreased significantly.  I also thought I should see Shader Model 3.0 or greater in my GPU Information in AE, but maybe this isn't so?  Any direction you could point me in would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: GPU issue
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> the shader model is greyed out on my GPU Information window.

That is not a problem. There just isn't a check for the shader model version on Mac OS. Also, that's irrelevant to the ray-traced 3D renderer.

> I am trying to render a Ray-traced 3D comp but the render times seem to be excessive, and the system is not being utilized as fully as it could.  It appears to me from my menu meters that only one core is being used at a time.

The ray-traced 3D renderer is slow. That is not unusual. 3D rendering is always slow.

Your GPU is a relatively weak GPU with little VRAM and few CUDA cores.

Your observation about only only core working is because processing of the ray-traced 3D renderer is being done on the GOU, not the CPU.

My main advice to you is to not use the ray-traced 3D renderer. Use the superior 3D capabilities of Cinema 4D, which comes with After Effects CC (12.0) and later. The ray-traced 3D renderer is a feature that we introduced in After Effects CS6 as an experiment in 3D. Our future 3D work is going down a different path---integration with Cinema 4D.