13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 6:51 PM by A.T. Romano

File importing problems

milakana Level 1

I have Elements 11 on both desktop and laptop.  I tried to get files from desktop to laptop and once I imported on laptop it said it does not recognize .prel files.  That's the file that was created by Elements when I first saved the video edit.  Any suggestions.

• 1. Re: File importing problems
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PREL is a project file, you do not import like a video, you open

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

Plus...

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 2. Re: File importing problems
            A.T. Romano Level 7

milakana

If you want to work on the same project between two Windows computers using the same version of Premiere Elements, best save the file via the Project Archiver Copy option, transfer the resulting Copied Folder to a USB Flash Drive, and then take that to the second computer.

Two major issues...

a. You need to keep the source media for a project connected to that project (Copy Option will save project file-project.prel-as well as the media that went into the project.

b. You cannot import one project file (project.prel) into another.

Please review, and please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: File importing problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I often migrate my Projects between my laptop, and my workstation.

However, I plan ahead, and have never had an issue. I set up one of my external HDD's, with a main (or root) folder for that Project, then add sub-folders for things like Video, Stills, Audio, etc., beneath that. I also locate all of my Scratch Disks to that external. Then, I set the drive letter (I am exclusively PC) to the same, in the OS of each computer's OS. I have had zero issues moving those Projects between computers.

Hunt

• 4. Re: File importing problems
                milakana Level 1

I am using mac.  I am able to save the project and all files on to the external hard drive.  I open up the .prel file and it asks me to find all of the jpeg and .mov files.  However, they are not listed the same.  For instance, it says find 0105.jpeg and the only jpegs I have listed say 1 of 84, 2 of 84  etc.  I think I will watch tutorials up top that John sent and see if there is a way I can start this whole process over step 1 step 2 so on and so forth.  Dumb it down for this simpleton. 

• 5. Re: File importing problems
                  milakana Level 1

OK the links didn't help up top from John.  Shouldn't this be a little more seemless?  If you save it to a hard drive, you should be able to easily import it on to the laptop.  So in all seriousness,  is there someone that can walk me through this seemingly easy task?  I'd appreciate.  List out the steps so I can follow without really thinking as I'm tired of thinking about this.  I just want to get it done.

Thanks a bunch.

• 6. Re: File importing problems
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

milakana

If you are using the Project Archiver and you have saved the project as the Copy Option, that saved Copied folder should contain the project file (project.prel) and the media that the project needs to reference.

Do you open the project.prel in the Copied folder by right clicking it and selecting Open With Premiere Elements 12? That is the way it goes with Premiere Elements 12 Windows.

1. With your Premiere Elemens 12 project opened, go to Expert workspace File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy option. Browse to an select the save location for your Copied Folder.

2. Go to wherever you have saved the Copied Folder to. Put the Folder on a USB Flash Drive.

3. Go to the second computer with Premiere Elements 12. Insert the USB Flash Drive in the USB port of the second computer.

4. Explore the USB Flash Drive, find the Copied Folder, open the Copied Folder, right click the Premiere Elements project.prel file, select Open with followed by Premiere Elements 12.

That is the Windows version. I will ask your help translating it into Mac talk. I expect the process to be similar if not the same.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: File importing problems
                      milakana Level 1

It's the same for Mac essentially.  This helped a ton.  However, when I took flash drive over to laptop it said it could not find some .mov files.  Now I have to search on the desktop to find out what's going on. 

Thanks.

Mike

• 8. Re: File importing problems
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the follow up. We will be watching for further developments.

But, I would ask "When you took the USB Flash Drive to the other Mac computer, could you explore the USB Flash Drive before introducing Premiere Elements into the equation? If so, were the .mov files that Premiere Elements could not find there?

When you inserted the USB Flash Drive into the second Mac, was it given a drive letter? If so, was that drive letter the same drive letter as it was when this USB Flash Drive was being used on the first Mac computer?

ATR

• 9. Re: File importing problems
                          milakana Level 1

There are no drive letters.  It just names the flash drive.  I did explore the drive and did not see the .mov files.

• 10. Re: File importing problems
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

milakana

Both your computers are Mac, correct?

After you did the Project Archiver/Copy Option, did you actually see the .mov files on the USB Flash Drive after the transferring the Copied Folder to the USB Flash Drive and before you took the USB Flash Drive to the second Mac computer?

With the Copy option, besides the project.prel file you get all the media that went into the project (that which was dragged to the Timeline as well as that which was imported into Media but never dragged to the Timeline). In contrast, the Archive option, includes only the media that was dragged to the Timeline. Any chance you selected Archive instead of Copy and these .mov files were never dragged to the Timeline?

ATR

• 11. Re: File importing problems
                              milakana Level 1

I don't believe that was the case. I am pretty sure it was copy.  Either way, I have to wait until I get home now and check it out.  But I will continue to look.  Thank you for all the help!  It's much appreciated.

• 12. Re: File importing problems
                                milakana Level 1

Ok I took a look and there are the .mov files on there, but they are only kb's of space not MB.  That doesn't seem right to me, so I decided to try and open the project again and the screen comes up saying where are these files?  I search the flash drive and am able to find those files, but every time I try to open it the window pops up saying where is the file?  So I don't think that these files were copied correctly or something on to the flash drive. 

I will search the desktop when I get a chance and see what I find.

Thanks again.

Mike

• 13. Re: File importing problems
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike,

Thanks for the update.

In your checking the details of what happened, keep in mind that typically you get those missing media messages if the source media that was imported into the project was moved or deleted from its hard drive save location after the project was saved closed.

In the process of Premiere Elements File Menu/Project Archiver/Archiver or Copy option, the hard drive originals are untouched. It is copies that are dealt with.

More later.

ATR