7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 11:10 PM by Peter Spier

Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?

Tonquin

When I'm setting up a document, I want to view my pages vertically, not in a horizontal spread.  When I go to View Pages and click Vertical, and then go to Panel Options and click Vertical, the view should change, but it doesn't.  Is there anywhere else I need to check?  I uninstalled the program and then re-installed it, but that didn't fix it.

• 1. Re: Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Version of InDesign? Computer platform?

Have you tried restoring your InDesign preferences. Here's how:

FAQ: How do I reset or "trash" preferences?

• 2. Re: Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The option in the panel menu is for how the pages are displayed inthe pages panel. Vertical means a single column, horizontal means there will be rows of spreads as wide as will fit the width of the panel.

It sounds to me like you want to view a two page spread with the binding along a horizontal plane, like a calendar. To do that, slect the spread(s) in the Pages panel, then from the panel menu choose Page Attributes > Rotate Spread > 90 degrees CW (for layouts that read left to right, CW for right to left layouts).

• 3. Re: Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?

I received a PM from tonquin asking for more details, so I'm going to post it here. This is a screen capture from CS6, but it should be similar in CC:

Rotate Spreads.png

You may find working this way is disconcerting, though. The ruler zero point "appears" to move (it doesn't, it rotates with the view), and if you undo the rotation your height and width values will be swapped.

• 4. Re: Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?
                Tonquin Level 1

What I'm doing:  I want to create the Front Matter to a book.

Steps I've taken: 

1. New Doc - Default setting - change margins - save as preset, click OK.

2. On Pages tab drag None options onto my page - click on dropdown menu and Insert Pages (I chose 8) - No Master, Insert After page 1

Problem:  The pages show as one big horizontal spread; I need them to show in vertical 2-p spreads like they will appear in the book

My Solutions:

1. Pages window - View Pages - make sure "vertically" is checked; Panel Options - Masters - make sure "Show Vertically" is checked.

Result:  whether I check both "vertical", or both "horizontal" the screen does not change and I do have "Preview" checked.  I am attaching a screen shot of this as per your request.Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 9.14.38 PM.png

2.  Uninstall InDesign.  Reinstall InDesign.  Result:  This did not fix the problem, although I don't see why it shouldn't have.

• 5. Re: Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?

OK. There's definitely a problem. In the screen shot I don't see brackets around the page numbers, but let's verify that page shuffling is enabled. Click on the leftmost pae in the pane, then hold the shif key and click on the rightmost page, so they are all selected, then right-click on them and make sure that BOTH Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle and Allow Document Pages to Shuffle are showing checkmarks.

If shuffling is alread enabled (checkmarks show), then yes, you do need to trash the preferences. Here's the link again: Replace Your Preferences

If you haven't done a lot of customizing, the keyboard method is OK, (you're going to lose customizations with either method, but you don't get to restore the old ones if it doesn't work when you use the keyboard). To learn how to find the hidden files, if you want to rename or move them, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion

• 6. Re: Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?
                    Tonquin Level 1

I'm a new user of InDesign and this is my first attempt at a project.  I feel like I've been sold a defective product.  Why should I have to do all these fixes on something that is a brand new purchase?  When I Uninstalled InDesign and then reinstalled it, why didn't that action give me a product that was usable?

• 7. Re: Why do my Horizontal and Vertical page views stay the same?

I don't know why you developed problems. What you are seeing is not normal -- I've never seen a similar report where ID made single spreads like this. But I am trying to help you resolve the issue.

If the problem is damaged preferences, they are not replaced automatically by uninstalling and reinstalling. You must elect that during the uninstall process, or do it yourself using the proceedures outlined in the link. If it is not the preferences, and you didn't manage to turn off page shuffling yourself in some way you don't realize, then there is a problem in the installation, and it most likely failed due to a conflict with something else running on the system during installation.

But the most important first step is to check whether page shuffling is enabled, and if it not to re-enable it.