4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2007 11:36 AM by paulfeuer

Stand-Alone Applications using Flex

kpcasey1
      I'm evaluating using Flex to deliver training applications that we develop for clients (currently use Flash). Some of these clients have the requirement to run stand-alone, which flash is great for.

I've read all over the internet that Flex can be used to deliver stand-alone training, yet, not here nor anywhere else have I found a synopsis on 'how' it can be done. All the training I've found one the web, here, lydia.com, etc... assumes that you have some sort of service that Flex uses to communicate to and from.

How would one go about making a Flex application run in a stand-alone, non-networked, environment?
        • 1. Re: Stand-Alone Applications using Flex
          paulfeuer
          when you compile flex, it just makes a swf file. this is the file that is deployed onto your website and runs in the browser.

if you don't want to do that, you can just click on the swf and flash player will run it. i never really did much flash programming before flex, so i don't know how people were (or continue) to do it outside of flash. but of course, flash (and shockwave) were the mainstays of kiosk deployment back in the late 90's.

so just compile, and double-click on the swf. i think you have to manually set your dimensions, but i think the system classes let you set fullscreen, etc.

or check out AIR (aka Apollo). i think it's still in beta, and there aren't a whole lot of books on it, but it is basically flex, but with access to desktop services (file,socket), and installation/network updating features.

• 2. Re: Stand-Alone Applications using Flex
            kpcasey1 Level 1
            Ok, this is where my ignorance of the product shows its hand.

quote:

when you compile flex, it just makes a swf file. this is the file that is deployed onto your website and runs in the browser.
            I'm not developing a website. There's no sever, and no communication from the computer to the outside world. (And installing a server on a client machine is out of the question).

So you're saying all the data from the lesson (in an XML file or in a database) is imported into the .swf file and that's all I have to deliver? If it's that simple, I need to play around some more.

Do I have that right?
            • 3. Re: Stand-Alone Applications using Flex
              MotionMaker Level 1
              Flex and Flash have Internet security. So you can create a standalone swf with these tools that can read local data but will not be able to send data into the Internet.

Thus reading an XML file from local system is possible. Going this way you can choose Flash or Flex. The choice here becomes more over the use of the integrated GUI UI components between the two if you plan to use them at all. If you are building a custom UI, probably then Flash. Flex will require a stronger programming skill level than will Flash and those on the net who speak Flex speak from a Java data world and confuse all Flash newbies to Flex.

As was mentioned by paulfeuer you can look at AIR Adobe Integrated Runtime. It is not in full release but it also creates swf and because the user has to install the runtime (like a user installs a Java Runtime) thus authorizing its capabilities, the AIR generated swf can have read and write access to local system as well as internet.

• 4. Re: Stand-Alone Applications using Flex
                paulfeuer Level 1
                yah - when you compile a flex document, one of the outputs is the flash swf file.

for web developers, they would then move this file onto their webserver where some page would embed it.

for you, you're done. well, i don't know enough really to say you're done. i know with the kiosks, they would wrap the swf into an exe somehow.

alternatively, you can just launch the local html page that references the compiled swf, and you're off and running - locally - no server. if you wanted to launch the swf in a browser, you could prolly come up with a shortcut that made it full screen and then you'd be done.

./paul