13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 5:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem codec Prem El. 10

dunderhead

What am I doing wrong if Prem El 10 tells me that the codec for an avi file is not supported? How can I add it to a project?

• 1. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from? The only AVI codec Premiere Elements 10 supports universally is the DV codec, which is present when video is captured from a miniDV camcorder over a FireWire connection.

Is this where your footage is coming from?

If your footage is coming from a still camera, it could be using the MJPEG codec, which is not supported by default.

If your AVIs are coming from a screen capture program, like FRAPS, it's gets a bit sketchier.

Open one of your AVIs in G Spot or MediaInfo and note the dimensions, frame rate and audio and video codecs listed.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
            dunderhead Level 1

Thanks Steve, I am not that familiar with all the codecs etc, so I will try

when I get a chance to use the programme you suggest.

The footage is an avi file - completed 5 minute film made some years ago

using cyberlink power director (V 8 I think) then rendered to .avi. Since

then it has been stored in this form on our computer and now one of the

actors wants another copy. I now use prel 10 and this is where the problem

has arisen. It is a 720 x 576 originally from a video tape dv cam. I now

use full hd from a dslr, thus the need for a program that can handle 1080

widescreen without crashing all the time. Thanks for your advice, I will

give it a go.

Graham. (Dunderhead)

• 3. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

It is almost impossible to know everything about every CODEC, and for the most part, it is not worth the effort trying.

However, this FAQ Entry, plus its CODEC link, will give you a bit of an overview: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Since CODEC's are the "building blocks" of Audio & Video files, that background should be useful.

Good luck, and when you get the CODEC in that AVI, let us know, and someone will be able to give you suggestions.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                dunderhead Level 1

Hello again Steve,

I did download the Gspot program and put the said file in for analysis, but

since I am not really up with all of the technical terminology of video

formats etc, I am not sure which pieces of information are relavent to you

giving me advice. How do I take a screen shot of the page displayed and

send it to you. I am running 64 bit windows 2010 I'm pretty sure.

• 5. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                  dunderhead Level 1

Thanks, I guess I simply have a lot to learn!

Graham (Dunderhead)

• 6. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

For attaching a screen-cap to the forum Reply, see this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck, and that screen-cap should show all of the necessary information.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

dunder

Great that you downloade the gspot utility. You have the information required at your finger tips.

Here is a screenshot of what you should be looking at before you go to File Menu/Open and browse to your file for analysis.

gspotss.JPG

The immediate answers needed are found at the top right of that dialog VIDEO. What do you see there for your video

Codec, Name, and Status? Same for AUDIO at bottom left of dialog Codec? The other information in those fields

would be helpful, but the VIDEO and AUDIO information would expedite matters.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                        dunderhead Level 1

Hi A.T.

Top right     Codec    dvsd            Name    DVC/DV Video

Audio (lower left)     this field is blank       Info    The Number "1"

button is highlighted.    (nothing else here)

Does this help?

Dunderhead

• 9. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

dunder

That was very helpful.

Now could I ask you for a few more details from that readout?

In the box where you see Container (left column of dialog) what does that say. Any mention of DV Type 2 AVI or Type 1?

I think that you have PAL DV AVI (could be 4:3 or 16:9) but the important matter that I would like to rule in or out is whether you have DV AVI Type 1 or 2. That DV AVI Type 1 could be creating the problems.

Thanks for follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                            dunderhead Level 1

It tells me it is Type 1.

That's a problem is it?

• 11. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

dunder

That has got to be it. The DV AVI Type 1 is a documented problem. Let us prove this is the case in your situation.

Here is what you do. Download and install the free program called DVdate.

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

Import your file into the program. You will then see a lineup of menus, including Convert menu.

Under the Convert menu, click on Convert to Type 2.

Then try to import that DV AVI Type 2 into your Premiere Elements PAL DV project.

Please let us know the results. If any questions about the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                                dunderhead Level 1

Hi again ATR

Hey... PRESTO The thing worked!

Thanks so much everyone for your advice.

I'm not usually a forum participant but I reckon you lot are great!

I have in fact written, cast, shot ,edited and produced a feature film with

PREL 10 but don't really consider myself much of a technical person, so it

is great to have such a willing and helpful lot of folk out in the ether to

help me!

Thanks again, now I can put a menu and other bits on the copies of the

short film.

Kindest regards ATR and all the others as well. There is a lot of good

reading that has been referred to me through this and I am sure it will all

help me understand things heaps better.

Dunderhead-G

• 13. Re: Problem codec Prem El. 10
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dunder

We are very pleased with your great news of success. Congratulations. Good job.

Never hesitate to ask if you need any help with your Premiere Elements workflows. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes.

ATR