13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2013 8:02 AM by Bookbrowser74

Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10

Awmg

Hi there, It's been a while since I used Premiere, and decided that I would make a video. I've copied all of the media across and started editing the clip. I dragged the first clip onto the timeline and clicked the play button so I could find where I wanted to make the first cut. And there was no video, just a still frame from where the marker was. If I click the live playback area, it pauses the video and updates the still. I have tried updating the software to see if it was a bug that had been patched, but it's still there. I've never had this issue before, and would appreciate any help you guys could lend.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris.

Extra info:

Premiere version 10.0 (20110902.mol11.b123.280463)

Project settings 1920x1080@29.9 FPS, dslr preset in PAL

I'm working with mp4 files from my gopro.

• 1. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

GoPro footage can be kind of iffy in version 10. It often doesn't work at all.

Have you tried Rendering the timeline (press Enter) before you edit? Also, make sure the footage has had time to fully conform in the program before you begin editing. Depending on how long your clip is, this can take a couple of minutes. You should see little indicator messages along the bottom of the program that tell you that the footage is conforming.

But, meantime, make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime. And, if your GoPro comes with any software, install that. It may install some necessary codecs.

For what it's worth, I can edit both 720p and 1080p GoPro footage on my Windows 7 in versions 11 and 12.

• 3. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Is your Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA video card. If so, please check out the following

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5907813

Your video card driver may require a roll back instead of assuring that you have the latest version of the video card driver. There has been an epidemic of this sort of thing specific to Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video cards.

Please check out the above and let us know if any of that applies to you.

Once that is ruled in or out, we can move on to other aspects of the troubleshooting if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
              Awmg Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Nvidia 660ti with what was the latest driver. I have rolled it back without any change. I believe it is not a codec issue as I chucked a video that I had rendered with premiere into the project with the same effect. I will be trying the gopro software, but this is the first issue I've had with premiere in almost a year of using it with premiere, so I doubt that will be the problem. I will also try reinstalling premiere in case it was some setting I accidentally messed with.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

-Chris

Nvidia driver details:

GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver, Version 331.65, 11/7/2013

• 5. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                Awmg Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried rendering the timeline before editing with the same effect, and am doubtful that it is an iussue with the codec, unless gopro has changed their codec with the latest firmware update as I have been using gopro clips on premiere for a while. I will be tring the method of converting first before editing, but I don't believe it to be an issue.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 6. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the follow up.

The deactivation, uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall may be the answer.

But, before you do that, please try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file. In Windows 7 64 bit, the path is:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

11.0 Folder

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. A new Prefs files will be generated by the program once the project is opened again. If that does not work, try deleting the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. In order to see the complete path, be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...How far did you roll back the NVIDIA video card driver version? I am still favoring that factor. You could contact NVIDIA to discuss the possibility of driver version involvement in your issue.

• 7. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                    Awmg Level 1

Hi there, sorry for the delay.

I deleted the prefrences file and it's reverted to some ntsc dv setting, in which the video does playback, but it still does not play back a live video when editing in a proper aspect ratio and definition for the clip.

• 8. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Awmg

If you have the time could you elaborate on your follow up about "reverting to some NTSC DV setting". Where is that happening or where do you see evidence of it happening?

Could we do a recap

on the properties of that GoPro video that is actually on the Timeline wanting to be edited and previewed in Edit playback....

video and audio compression

frame size

frame rate

file extension

interlaced or progressive

pixel aspect ratio

and the current project preset which exists when the problem is encountered?

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                        Bookbrowser74 Level 1

I've been reading this with interest because I'm having the same issue since updating the nVidia drivers at the end of November.  There is a conflict that is NOT resolved by completely uninstalling and rolling the drivers back. 

Previews just will not display in the monitor in Adobe Premiere Elements 11. Audio is fine.

Clicking on the monitor window allows me to view the frame, and I can advance the frames one at a time and view them, but when I select 'Play' I just get a blank screen.    

NOTE: SAME FILE AND SOFTWARE work fine on roommate's GTX550 with nVidia drivers from Jan 18 2013.

I'm running NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240,

Win7 64-Bit OS;

1. 2.93 gigahertz Intel Core i7 870;

12 GB RAM;

Board: Dell Inc. 0G3HR7 A00 Serial Number: ..CN736040BU01GG. Bus Clock: 133 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Inc. A05 07/08/2010;

ASUS VE276 [Monitor] (27.2"vis, s/n B1LMTF048504, January 2011).

Up until the last driver update everything worked great. 

• 10. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bookbrowser74

You could check with NVIDIA to determine if it has any suggestions about rolling back that video card driver even further or any setting changes possible for the current video card driver.

But, let us try the following...deleting the BadDrivers.txt file. It can be found in the Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit path

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the whole path. Note: after your reopen Premiere Elements 10, a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                            Awmg Level 1

Just a follow up:

I have rolled back my driver from 331.65 to 320.49 (The oldest driver available for my gpu on Nvidia's website).

The playback of the timeline is functioning fine now, and I can see no other issues.

In case I need to clarify the NTSC DV setting was the preset for the project, as I normally use the PAL DSLR 1080 @ 25fps preset.

Thanks for all the help guys, and happy holidays.

-Chris.

• 12. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris,

Thanks for the great update. I just included your information in the thread that I established to try to keep track of Premiere Elements 10 and the NVIDIA video card driver version roll backs that worked for the Premiere Elements 10 users.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5907813

Best wishes for the holidays.

ATR

• 13. Re: Issue with live playback while editing - Premiere Elements 10
                                Bookbrowser74 Level 1

Tried rolling back the drivers to 320.49, but still have the ‘white screen of death’ ....