12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 2:05 PM by winterm

Out of Memory message box

Nifteze Level 1

I am using CS Indesign 5.5 and have recently loaded 6.0. Having used Indesign for nearly 10 years I have never had the Out of Memory message pop up and have no idea why this is now doing so. I am using the PC version with Windows. I cannot get rid of the Out of Memory pop up but also cannot continue with that design. Is it anything to do with the fact that I am running 2 indesign products at the same time. Any help would be appreciated as I am starting to get a little bit annoyed.

• 1. Re: Out of Memory message box
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

CS6 and CS5.5 can run together just fine (I go all the way back to CS2 here). It sounds like a file problem.

If you can, reboot the computer, the launch ID and open the file, then immediately export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting).

If that doesn't work, try INDDRecovery — a program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents and the script in Adobe Community: InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others are opening OK.

• 2. Re: Out of Memory message box
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There shouldn't be any issue with using two versions on the same system. Even at the same time.

There might be some differences in the document structures between CS5.5 and CS6 though.

Sometimes there's a hiccup when opening CS5.5 files in CS6 - and most of the time it's fine.

Ensure both products are fully up to date - use Help>Updates...

You can try exporting your CS5.5 file to IDML - instructions

Then open that in CS6.

If you've created this in CS6 and still have the issue - the same instructions might also help.

• 3. Re: Out of Memory message box
              winterm Level 4

All suggestions above are just fine and certainly do no harm, maybe even help a bit.

However, sometimes (what a surprise) things are just what they seem. Read the message straightforward, too.

I used to get it occasionally on WinXP, 3GB RAM.

NEVER on 64-bit W7, 16GB RAM.

Same ID8 (CS6), same really heavy files...

• 4. Re: Out of Memory message box

"Out of Memory" issues rarely have anything to do with the amount of RAM or the version of Windows.

It's entirely possible your new computer had some other facets to it that fixed the issue - or reinstalling CS6 on the new computer installed some vital updates that you didn't apply on the old computer.

• 5. Re: Out of Memory message box
                  winterm Level 4

Eugene Tyson wrote:

... rarely ...

so you never know...

All possible updates were applied to old machine, too. I don't think that's the case. It was fully updated, clean and healthy system.

With new one - yes, all hardware renewed, including brand new system boot disk, so there might be some "fixes"...

Apart new OS, all other software installed exactly the same (Adobe apps - for sure).

I always keep manual control of all software updates, so can say for sure - things changed because of new hardware/OS.

That fixed all out of memory issues (especially when exporting large multipage hires pdf).

And - a bit OT - it fixed lags when Paragraph styles are heavy loaded with GREP (I bet you know that issue).

All I want to say:

1. keep ID updated.

2. try exporting idml and other thingies - it won't harm for sure.

2. when nothing helps (likely), take a closer look to hardware... To meet just a minimum requirements isn't a good idea.

Peace

Ah, and all above - about CS6. No comments on CC...

Message was edited by: winterm

• 6. Re: Out of Memory message box

I'll leave you with this quote from the Principal Scientist at Adobe

Dov Isaacs wrote:

The problem you are experiencing unfortunately has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory in your system, its hardware configuration, or the OS version you are running. You could be running Windows 7 64-bit with 24GB of memory and the same problem will occur.

The out of memory message typically means that some internal tables within InDesign's own memory space and/or that of its Adobe Core Technology components have reached capacity. You are much more likely to see this message if you are editing very long and/or graphically complex documents and page through the entire document and/or do many edits without saving the document (use "save as" to be safe), exiting InDesign, and then restarting InDesign and continuing editing of the document in question. Exiting and restarting InDesign clears the memory problem. FWIW, I've seen this problem the most when attempting to export PDF from some long, complex documents. My workaround is to save the document, exit InDesign, restart InDesign, open the document and without paging through any of the document (other than the currently displayed page, obviously), immediately initiating the PDF export process.

- Dov

• 7. Re: Out of Memory message box
                      winterm Level 4

Thank You, Eugene, I've been there

Yes, that's exactly what used to happen on my old system: exporting hires pdf from long, complex document and getting Out of Memory message. And exactly the same workarounds I've tried, as Dow mentions - with no luck. I almost grew out of habit just "save" id document since these days... Only "save as". So I used to end up exporting document by parts and merging pages in Acrobat.

Once upon a time I did a complete clean reinstall of that XP machine. Still hard time exporting complex ID documents. Just because it wasn't 'software' problem.

With all my sincere respect to Dow Isaacs, Eugene Tyson, and the Theory: now things changed. No more Out of Memory messages. Obvious overall improvement of ID performance and responsiveness. Despite the fact that documents still tend to grow longer and more and more complex (for some reasons I try to avoid "books") now I can export the whole thing at once, with export time reduced more than twice.

IF idml, restarting, rebooting, no-document-paging-before-export and other tricks will work for someone - I'm happy. Give it a try, why not? Maybe your machine is a bit faster and id documents are a bit lighter. In my case it didn't work - that's all I wanted to say.

• 8. Re: Out of Memory message box

The behaviour, according to Microsoft Support site, is when Win32 subsystem is depleted.

With a 64 bit processor and 64 bit operating system, the problem should be quite less.

I have 3gb RAM, Windows XP and 2.2ghz dual core (no hyperthreading!)

And I export very large complex PDFs all the time - and I don't remember ever getting an out of memory message.

And my PDF exports are for books up to 3,200 pages.

Sure - some systems are setup very poorly - maybe by the manufacturer -

And that's why Microsoft made this page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126962

So you can fix those sort of issues.

But again - it's not related to the amount of RAM you have in the computer.

A 64 bit operating system would probably help though.

• 9. Re: Out of Memory message box

winterm wrote:

Maybe your machine is a bit faster and id documents are a bit lighter. In my case it didn't work - that's all I wanted to say.

It could be absolutely anything - and in some cases it can be fixed quite easily.

Perhaps there was more you could do to overcome your issues than upgrading your computer.

But if your computer is outdated and giving such issues and you can afford it - then by all means get a better one.

But issues relating to out of memory are nothing to do with the amount of RAM.

• 10. Re: Out of Memory message box
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've seen it fairly recently (in CS3) on my Win7 x64 system while trying to export a PDF of a large poster. Restarting ID, as suggested by Dov, worked for me.

• 11. Re: Out of Memory message box
                              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Since my name has been used in vain, a follow-up …

With InDesign 9.x, there is now a 64-bit version of the program which doesn't have the address limitations of 8.x (CS6) and earlier. Using the 64-bit version (requires 64-bit OS, obviously), I have yet to encounter the dreaded out of memory message regardless of how long and complex my document is and/or how long I remain inside InDesign.

- Dov

• 12. Re: Out of Memory message box
                                winterm Level 4

Thank You so much for pointing this out. I definitely wasn't aware of this. First good news I learned about CC.