9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 5:06 AM by unexpected

AE CC and Cineform

paulinventome Level 1

Hi,

Not sure if this is just me but i put it out there for more info.

In AE CS6 i can create a new 32 bit float comp and then in the output module switch to QuickTime and Cineform then i can see options for Millions and Trillions output. Doing the exact same thing in AE CC only shows the millions option.

So for all those using Cineform and AE CC - can you select trillions when you render?

thanks!
      Paul

• 1. Re: AE CC and Cineform
          paulinventome Level 1

FWIW i had Jake from Cineform sort this out. There is an XML file container references to cineform and the formats which was never installed correctly. So now trillions is back again...

• 2. Re: AE CC and Cineform
            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Hi Paul,

Could you clarify a bit on this?

(I've undertaken another hopeless attempt to install GoPro Cineform Studio on my machine, and this time I'm almost there: I have access to all codec options and can encode to Cineform 444 via PrPro and AME, but not via AE Render Queue... NB: Yes, my question is not related to CC, 'cos I'm on CS5.5, but...)

• 3. Re: AE CC and Cineform
              paulinventome Level 1

After installed GoPro Studio i found that i was not able to select trillions in CC of AE, whereas i could in CS6.

The solution was to open the MediaCoreQTCodecRulesCC.xml, find the CFHD entry and ensure that deepdecode was b64a

The the CC versions would show the trillions options once set up from the advanced setting dialgoue.

Does that help at all?

cheers

Paul

• 4. Re: AE CC and Cineform
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

I have two CFHD entries in my version of MediaCoreQTCodecRulesCC.xml and the 'deepdecodefourcc' parameter is set to 'b64a' in both cases, which means my particular issue is somewhere else... But thanks anyway!

• 5. Re: AE CC and Cineform
                  MachineCodeSystems

The CS5.x version of the QuickTime MediaCore XML file is named

MediaCoreQTCodecRulesCS5.xml and on Windows 7 is found in the user's AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common folder. The CS5 version lacks the CFHD entries found in the CS6 and CC versions of the QT MediaCore XML file.

To enable the Trillions option for the GoPro Cineform codec in After Effects CS5.5, I copied these four CFHD lines from the CS6 XML file at the end of the QTCodec list in the CS5 XML file:

<QTCodec codec='CFHD' vendor='****' platform='mactel' direction='encode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />
                  <QTCodec codec='CFHD' vendor='****' platform='mactel' direction='decode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />
                  <QTCodec codec='CFHD' vendor='****' platform='windows' direction='encode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />
                  <QTCodec codec='CFHD' vendor='****' platform='windows' direction='decode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />
                  • 6. Re: AE CC and Cineform
                    ChrisC1

This issue seems to be back. I spent six hours trying to understand why one windows machine running After Effects gave me the trillions of color options while the other did not.

In AE 13.1.1.3 Gopro cineform was included with After Effects. There was no need to install Gopro studio to get it. In the render options you could choose Quicktime>Gopro Cineform and set it to RGB+A and choose between millions+ or trillions+ colors.

In the latest AE 13.2 the trillions+ option has again disappeared. I tried installing and uninstalling gopro studio. Also reinstalled AE as well as trying all the various .xml changes listed above. Maybe I missed something but I could not get trillions back. Even a file saved from 13.1 with a render queued and set to trillions got changed to millions in the new version.

In the end I manually copied the 13.1 version from one machine to the other to get a working version.

phil

• 7. Re: AE CC and Cineform
                      Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/10/gopro-cineform-codec-settings.html

The determination of which pixel format is encoded to inside the GoPro CineForm codec is determined by whether or not you choose to render an alpha channel. If you do not render an alpha channel, the GoPro CineForm codec will encode at 10-bpc YUV. If you do render an alpha channel, the GoPro CineForm codec will encode at 12-bpc RGBA.

More details in the article linked above.

There is a bug between After Effects CC 2014.1 (13.1) and CC 2014.2 (13.2) that the Trillions Of Colors+ option disappeared in CC 2014.2 (13.2) for the GoPro CineForm codec. We're investigating this, but as per above, this does not actually affect the pixel format that the GoPro CineForm codec will encode, that determination is made by After Effects solely upon whether you choose to render an alpha channel.

• 8. Re: AE CC and Cineform
                        ChrisC1 Level 1

ok thanks. Good to know.

• 9. Re: AE CC and Cineform
                          unexpected

Tim,

thanks a lot for the answer. However the most urgent question would be: Even if the "Trillions of colors" have disappeared - is After Effects passing the full 16 or 32 bit on to the Cineform codec that stores it in 12bit (in case we select an alpha channel) or will it pass on the data in 8bit as "Millions" is selected?  If we´re using that codec we NEED to have it store the data at least in 10bit (because that´s the bitdepth what all the log data from cameras like Alexa etc. contain). So is it just a "visual" bug because we can´t choose the option in the dropdown dialogue, but "under the hood" it´s working fine? Or is it really only passing the millions (8 bit) to the encoder?

Thanks a lot!  Steffen