1 2 3 Previous Next 115 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 11:50 AM by Szalam Branched to a new discussion.

Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory

Mav Level 1

I have an iMac 3.4GH 16GB of ram. I don't understand why I should suddenly be getting this message. I am using Mavericks 10.9. I use after effects CC the latest version.

Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 16.37.54.png

• 1. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We can only guess without information about your project. What happens if you re-boot or use an app like Free Memory?

• 2. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This is an innocuous message that is just because After Effects is (mistakenly) doing a memory check that it doesn't need to be doing. We're releasing a bug-fix update this week that fixes this.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
              Mav Level 1

An update that sounds great news. Thank you. I have deleted files that started this happening and I seem to be over the problem for now. I am wondering if it was caused by mixing file formats. I was using a part of an MP4 clip when the rest of the project was in Apple Proress. I am now converting the file to Apple Proress to see if this is the case. I am sure though that the update will fix the problem. Thank you.

• 4. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I am wondering if it was caused by mixing file formats.

No, it has nothing to do with anything that you did. It is just a stupid bug that is unrelated to anything that matters.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CC (12.2) update fixes this.

Let us know how it works for you after you've installed the update.

• 6. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                    galliv Level 1

Sorry but that's not true... I'm having the same exact issue with after effects 12.2... and I must force quit to exit that alert message... Every time I clickthe "ok" button it pops up again and again and again...

Ah, and cannot save my project...

Schermata 2014-06-08 alle 04.34.32.png

Schermata 2014-06-08 alle 04.37.29.png

• 7. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                      JohnGoldsmith Level 1

I just got the same (or similar) multiple warnings whilst scrubbing through audio:

AE_Warning.png

On AE 13.0.2.3

• 8. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a RAM leak in AE version 13. The Adobe team is aware of it and are working on a fix for the next update: warning “RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames” after scrubbing audio in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0)

In the meantime, either don't scrub audio in CC 2014, or save your project as CC (version 12) and work in that for all your timing stuff. You can then go back to CC 2014 for adding effects and such (or just stay with CC for your whole project if you're not using any of CC 2014's new features).

• 9. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory

And, if you don't know how to install previous versions, this page explains: Creative Cloud Help | Install, update, or uninstall apps

• 10. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                            JohnGoldsmith Level 1

Thanks for the links @Szalam. I'll drop back to v12 as you suggest and keep an eye out for updates.

Best regards

John

• 11. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                              AomenTV Level 1

Todd said:

"The After Effects CC (12.2) update fixes this.

Let us know how it works for you after you've installed the update."

And I ask:

You fixed a bug. Now, would you say the bug is back? I can't work more than 5 minutes on my projects.

I have a Mac Pro early 2014 with 32Gb Ram....

What's wrong with this?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 15.20.16.png

• 12. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                michaeld41904386 Level 1

I am having the same problem with CC 2015.  Any updates?

• 13. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                  Marcos-Brazil Level 1

Me too. CC 2015 and the same problem.
                                  I hate Adobe.

• 14. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                    King Hebes Level 1

yeah IM running cc 2015. waited 2+ hours for the 3d tracker to analyze frames only to encounter this message...

• 15. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                      webmobilized Level 1

Started getting the same message today after upgrading to After Effects CC 2015. Trying to follow one of the MIR / GeoLayers tutorials. Also must Force Quit the app. Any updates from Adobe on this?

• 16. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                        shando Level 1

I am also getting this error message + crash every time.

Brand new Mac Pro 64 GB RAM, 8 core, Dual AMD FirePro D300. AE CC 2015.

Very minimal project. A single solid layer with Trapcode Particular + one camera. No presets even selected, just plain white particles. After a bit of scrubbing After Effects crashes. Nothing to do with audio scrubbing I'm afraid, there is no audio in my project.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 17. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                          King Hebes Level 1

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 11.53.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-07 at 11.53.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-07 at 11.53.57 PM.png

Getting these error messages repeatedly. Forcing me to force quit the application. This is happening after the 3d tracker camera analyzes frames. I did a sample with a video clip that is about 300 frames and it loaded fine. I am getting this message when trying a file that has 46000 frames. I am running CC2015. Please give this issue some attention! It has been over a week with no word on this. I'm a new Adobe/CC customer and so far am not satisfied with a buggy product and no response from an official moderator.

• 18. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                            shando Level 1

Just to give a more detailed report, this is my exact scenario, I also reported directly to Adobe here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I received a message saying thanks for feedback and that not all inquiries will be responded to due to volume... : \ Ugh.

******BUG******

Concise problem statement:

I recently downloaded the demo for REDGIANT Trapcode Suite.  After working with a single layer with the Trapcode Particular effect applied and one camera inserted into the scene, (nothing else in the project), experiencing error messages:

Error message 1 : Cached Preview takes 2 or more frames to playback. Once I get this message, I am no longer able to RAM preview. Also, AE won't quit after this point without a force quit.  Usually but not always shortly after I receive this error message:

Error Message 2: Unable to allocate 0.0002 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM (12803 /list.) For more information, see www.adobe.com/go.learnae_mem ( 27 :: 30 )

This error message pops up an infinite amount of times after pressing "OK", leaving me with no choice but to force quit after effects. Sometimes the error appears after working for 5 minutes, sometimes shorter.

Seems to occur when scrubbing with a keyframed camera. 

Brand new Mac Pro w/ AE CC 2015

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

64GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

Dual AMD Firepro D700 - 6144 MB

• 19. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                              stevenrenner Level 1

For all those facing the imminent loss of their work I have a last minute method to retain it. I too am having this same memory error and this update DID NOT fix it. I have an office with an early 2014 mac pro, a late 2014 mac pro (both contain fire cards), early 2014 imac with nvidia cuda mobile gpu, and edit suite in the studio that is a late 2014 mac pro with kona card and external 10 bit monitor. I can hose up every one of them and their memory. I can tell you that the edit suite hangs in the longest but has 64 gb of ram. Followed by the imacs with cuda cards supporting them. The new m,ac pros with fire cards were the first to go. We are now plagued by memory issues on anything involving green screening. cc, 2014, 2015, Makes no difference and the update had no effect. The only machine to hold out is my late 2013 macbook pro and our 2011 mac pro. There needs to be some serious work put into fixing this thats all i got to say. And for the fix, pressing enter to confirm the notification closes it for half a sec. If you have your pointer ready you can click the x to close the composition window before another appears. This will allow you to save your work. Sometimes you have to close all your timelines too in the same way. Hope this helps.

• 20. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                rdobbins Level 1

This is NOT solved. I've got the current version of AE CC 2015. I've had a serious issue with rendering and bugs on nearly every project and version of After Effects since it went to CC. I'm having this exact problem, 5027::3 alternating with 27::30 and  the "needs two frames for playback" issue as well.  I'm four days into a week long very complicated text based project and finally finished designing the text and vectors and am now sitting on four lost days because I can't apply the effects the project needs. This needs a fix asap.

Computer:

Macbook Pro Retina late 2013

2.6 ghz i7

16gb ram

SSD

Current version of Yosemite.

GPU:

GPU Driver Version: 10.4.2 310.41.35f01

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fe9

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3776

gMux Version: 4.0.8 [3.2.8]

• 21. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                  barbara_silva Level 1

Having the same problem. Formated the machine, reinstalled and it persists =/ where is the fix?

• 22. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory

The bug mentioned by the original poster in AE version 12 was fixed.

The RAM leak bug in version 13.0 was also fixed.

You guys are sharing evidence of a different bug with similar symptoms. Read my suggestions in this thread: Re: "unable to allocate memory after effects CC 2015" Mac Pro bug fix?

• 23. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                      Ketchupie Level 1

**** please fix it as soon as possible @A@

• 24. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                        brendanT Level 1

I'm starting a project that relies on Trapcode Form and this bug is stoping me cold. Please please address this.

• 25. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                          HollandJames Level 1

I've just started getting this error and it happens CONSTANTLY. OS X.9.5 using AE CC 2015. I also get another error "unable to allocate enough memory to render the current frame" occasionally when rendering certain compositions.

• 26. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory

brendanT wrote:

I'm starting a project that relies on Trapcode Form and this bug is stoping me cold. Please please address this.

Brendan, can you use CC 2014 for your project? That way, until the bug gets fixed, at least you won't be stopped.

If you left the Creative Cloud software at its default to remove your old versions when you updated to CC 2015, you can reinstall AE CC 2014 very easily: How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

• 27. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                              fjordcloud Level 1

About to try reinstalling CC14 - truly hope you're right in that this error only affects CC15. Getting this same problem when using Reg Giant Effects plugins - ToonIt in particular.

• 28. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                brendanT Level 1

Thanks Szalam,

I couln't get creative cloud to reinstall 2014 but I was able to find a direct download link. This wasted several hours though. Feeling pretty burned by Adobe right about now.

• 29. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                  fjordcloud Level 1

Trying to rely on Creative Cloud app to keep files in sync and apps up-to-date is downright unreliable. Sometimes it's fine, other times I'm just stuck at "Installing 0%...". Of all the cloud apps I use - OneDrive, Dropbox - I loathe CC app the most.

• 30. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                    gonzo777 Level 1

It seems to still be occurring in its latest update.  Working with some pretty heavy renders but also have 32g of ram and it shows that there's plenty left there and still get the message and eventual crash.

• 31. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                      Perry Jay Grone Level 1

I uninstalled AE 2015 and reinstalled 2014 and everything is working perfectly fine now... took me hours to figure this out.  I'll just work with the 2014 version until all of the bugs are fixed.

• 32. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                        Jerry MacKay Level 1

I've been getting this error for awhile now. I'm on a Late 2013 Mac with 64GB of RAM, two AMD FirePro D700 graphics cards, and a 500GB Flash drive for cache purposes. This error happens a lot when I use the Primatte Keyer, and I can't render long compositions (10 minutes plus) without the render engine crashing (I have to restart the software and pick up the rendering where it crashed).

I need the functionality of CC 2015, so I can't revert to 2014. Please fix this!!!

Jerry MacKay

Littleflick Pictures

• 33. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                          FrankPostProd Level 1

Had this issue on AE CC 2014 (was eventually fixed) and 2015 (still happening) on my iMac 2013 - i7 3.5Ghz / 24GB / GTX780 4GB / Fusion drive running Maverick and Yosemite (up to date).

I worked for several Production Studios over the past 2 years and they also encountered this problem at one point or another.

I would be interested to know if anyone in the Windows verse encountered this issue? Because all the discussions and threads I read, everyone is on Mac.

It's getting frustrating to randomly loose work. And it's not even heavy duty stuff, just animating a simple mask on ProRes HD footage make it happen (and i've got nothing else running).

So if it is not something that plague the Windows version, i'm seriously thinking of switching back to the dark side.

FrankT.

• 34. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                            mondi studio Level 1

Hi there,

This problem came back with the new update

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 17.38.53.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 17.38.41.png

I'm working on an animation with imported multipass from c4d.

I'm working with 16mb Adobe sRGB - linear color space.

It was pretty heavy but even when I work with proxys with lower res mp4 it happens the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Joao Monteiro

----

www.joaomonteiro.tv

• 35. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                              mondi studio Level 1

p.s - Sorry can't edit my previous post. I have the latest update installed (13.5.1.48)

• 36. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory

mondi studio wrote:

p.s - Sorry can't edit my previous post. I have the latest update installed (13.5.1.48)

Try it with the latest update that came out last night: 13.6

• 37. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                                  jasona37924613 Level 1

Latest update and still the same error....
                                                                                  It's pretty sad that this has been going on for years without a fix.

• 38. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                                    marisusch Level 1

and an arrangement for After Effects CS6 ???

• 39. Re: Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory
                                                                                      FrankPostProd Level 1

Update since my last post in November!

Fist off, I've been plagued by this memory issue since updating to CC 2015 on my Mac. I would get random memory error while working on my comps. I notified Adobe and they said that the latest update would fix it. Well it did not, I think it actually made things worst now because it's saying that "AE cannot allocate 0.0010 MB of Ram" or 0.002 MB, and even 0.000 MB of Ram now; at which point I would have to Force Quit the App because the message would cascade indefinitely.

More recently, during renders, the memory usage would go up to 100% before crashing and giving the same message. I assume that this new behavior is do to the length of the comp I'm working on; used to be about 10sec per comp, but now I am working on comps that are more then 1 min long.

Some time I'm working in AE without a fuss, and other time I literally cannot get any work done at all. The error can occur once a day or so, not so bad. But sometime it popping up every 2 min!

I also did some experimentation to find the cause of this issue, or at least some hint has to what is going on:

-My primary workstation is an iMac 27" late 2013 i7-3.5Ghz, 24GB Ram, 4GB GTX780m, OSX 10.10; and my backup workstation is a custom PC from 2009; i7-940 2.93Ghz, 12 GB Ram, 3GB GTX660, Win 7 OS.

-Both computer use the latest Adobe CC 2015, have the same plugins installed, all plugins on both sides are on the same version.

-This week I've been working on a 3min long keying comp (pre-edited sequence rendered out has 1 clip in 1080p ProRes422 - 29.97fps). I was in a rush to get the sequence done asap and half way through the project the memory issue started popping up every 2 minutes or so. I tried purging memory in AE, still happened. Tried purging memory in OS, still happened. I managed to complete the chroma key by working "offline" with "Caps Lock" enable and switching live preview render on and off. Really not an ideal solution but it did the trick.

-Started to render out my comp and that where the memory would start to build up to 100% and crash the App. Not even a quarter of the way thru the render. I was fed-up so I consolidated the project and switched to my PC. Started AE, setup the render to .mov with Animation codec since no ProRes in PC, hit render and 5h later the job was done with an average of 25% out of 12GB ram used! This is insane! I then tried to render to .mov with Animation on my iMac, memory still happen.

-Even tried to play with the Secret menu option, no change.

I usually work with heavy 3D comp inside AE with Element 3D and I can understand that at some point AE can't take it anymore since it's sort of a "hack" of the App that normally can't handle true 3D. But this time it was just a simple chroma key job. I only used three simple 3rd party plugins; Neat video's "Reduce Noise v4" and RedGiant's "Matte Feather Sharp" and "Light Wrap". I used "KeyLight+KeyCleaner+AdvSpillSupp" presets for keyer.

I have to say that I did found a work around that will probably not work for every one. I was desperate to get this issue out of the way so I started scrubbing thru some old Time-Machine backup, found 1 from late 2014 with AE CC 2014 installed. I simply copied the AE sub-folder from the backup Application folder to my computer main Application folder, updated the plugins for AE CC 2014.... and voila!!! I was able to open my AE CC 2015 project in AE CC 2014, make some changes to it and render it without any memory issue!

My 2 cents in all this, I think Adobe really dropped the ball on this one. After Effects CC 2015 for Mac is the least stable App Adobe came up with ever, and I've been working in the Adobe verse since 2001 (AE v5). Is it solely Adobe's fault, maybe not. Apple probably bare part of the blame for making new OS every year for the past 3-4 years which can be hard to keep up with on the "dev" side. I can image they're spending more time on maintenance then actual development. But denying the existence of such a clear and pretty bad issue serve no one. Stop arguing and get to work Adobe!... Please.

1 2 3 Previous Next