5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 11:52 AM by resdesign

How Would You Create This Function In Edge?

RavenDesign Level 1

So Heres an example : http://www.themefuse.com/demo/html/ArtGallery/

As you can see your on the Home scene and for example if you click Services it will play threw the "timeline" and stop at services

so how would you create a function that will play threw the edge timeline and stop at certain places ..... ??

Thanks in Advance!

• 1. Re: How Would You Create This Function In Edge?
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there! Do you have only one timeline?

In my experience, I prefer to have symbols and play them rather than the main timeline.

I would create an array with the names of all the labels like

// labels on the main timeline

var mylabels = ['home','services','cars','houses','electronincs','books''];

and then use these accordingly . If you have buttons, you can group them in a div and then use something like this:

var buttons = sym.$("buttons").children();    

// this will play the label on click event of each button.

$.each(buttons,function(i){

$(this).on("click", function(){ sym.$(myLabels[i]).play(); });

})

but if you want the timeline to pass through 2 levels like in the one above, you will have to have something different because in my example you need to have stops at the end of each label animation otherwise it goes trough the whole timeline.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How Would You Create This Function In Edge?
            RavenDesign Level 1

I was thinking of maybe putting all the "Pages" in a Symbol so  like in your example 'home','services','cars','houses','electronincs','books and have them in 1 symbol and then have buttons on the main to click that would navigate threw the Symbol and stop at the right place so if Cars was clicked the person would see Home & services animation and then it would stop at cars page....

Edit: In the symbol could you not have triggers in the timeline stop triggers but then in the button function pick and choose what triggers to stop at and what triggers to ignore..... ? if you understand me...

• 3. Re: How Would You Create This Function In Edge?

Hello,

If you use a symbol, then you will change to

$.each(buttons,function(i){

$(this).on("click", function(){ sym.getSymbol(myLabels[i]).play(); });

})

but still if you do not have stops on the timeline it will play through. I am sure other people have thought this trough and you can probably use getPosition() to determine where to stop and have conditions to track all this.

I will be thinking about how to do that but I hope that those who have already done it can get to you before me!

• 4. Re: How Would You Create This Function In Edge?
                RavenDesign Level 1

Yeah the problem is stopping it at the right place without a trigger :|

and its hard keeping it all dynamic and flowing from one to another and back and skipping over pages. . .

• 5. Re: How Would You Create This Function In Edge?

have you tried to use getPosition(): ?

Here is an example that will help you figure it out.

https://app.box.com/s/r81for9am69krc8gnlrv

I have not tried it but I suppose you could add conditional stops. This is an example I made some time ago for another user.