6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2007 11:11 AM by Newsgroup_User RSS

cfmail --> cfscript

sean69 Community Member
      Hi I am trying to use cfmail in cfscript blocks... which I have done and works, now I just need to get it tuned a little more friendlier...

what I would like to do is be able to dynamically specify the <cfmail> attributes in the cfscript tag i.e.
      <cfscript>
      cfmail('from="email@dot.com" to="email@dot.com" subject="this is the subject" type="html"','content');
      <cfscript>

and then basically write the mail function like this
      <function.....
      <cfmail #parm1#>#parm2</cfmail>
      ...function>
      - which of course does not work...
      How important is this??? not really, I just would rather not break out of the cfscript blocks to send mail!

below is the working version....

• 1. Re: cfmail --&gt; cfscript
          Community Member
          with CF8 you can specify arguments to cfmail inside an
          attributeCollection structure...
          so if your cfmail function is is a cfc method, you can invoke the cfc in
          cfscript with createobject(), then access the cfmail method and pass it
          the attributeCollection structure as argument...

---
          Azadi Saryev
          Sabai-dee.com
          http://www.sabai-dee.com
          • 2. Re: cfmail --&gt; cfscript
            sean69 Community Member
            yea.............. using 6.1 though....
            • 3. Re: cfmail --&gt; cfscript
              Community Member
              i see... tough luck...

---
              Azadi Saryev
              Sabai-dee.com
              http://www.sabai-dee.com
              • 4. Re: cfmail --&gt; cfscript
                edgriffiths Community Member
                just add a mail method into .../WEB-INF/cftags/component.cfc

<cffunction name="writeMail" returntype="boolean" output="false" access="public" hint="i provide a simple wrapper for CFMAIL calls in components and cfscript">
                <cfargument name="message" type="any" required="true" hint="Message body to cfmail: can be a string or complex structure, like CFDUMP">
                <cfargument name="subject" type="string" required="true" hint="Mail subject">
                <cfargument name="to" type="string" required="true" hint="Mail to">
                <cfargument name="from" type="string" required="true" hint="Mail from">
                <cfargument name="cc" type="string" required="true" hint="Mail cc list">
                <cfargument name="type" type="string" required="true" hint="Mail type: text, plain or html">

<cfset var mailSuccessful = TRUE>

<cftry>

<cfif FindNoCase(trim(lcase(arguments.type)),"text,plain,html")>

<!--- if not a simple value, must set mail type to HTML since we're going to CFDUMP complex data --->
                <cfif NOT IsSimpleValue(arguments.message)>
                <cfset arguments.type = "html">
                </cfif>

<cfmail to="#trim(arguments.to)#" from="#trim(arguments.from)#" cc="#trim(arguments.cc)#" type="#trim(arguments.type)#" subject="#trim(arguments.subject)#"><cfif NOT IsSimpleValue(arguments.message)><cfdump var="#arguments.message#"><cfelse>#arguments.message#</cfif></cfmail>

<cfelse>
                <cfset mailSuccessful = FALSE>
                </cfif>

<cfcatch type="any">
                <cfset mailSuccessful = FALSE>
                </cfcatch>
                </cftry>

<cfreturn mailSuccessful>
                </cffunction>

• 5. Re: cfmail --&gt; cfscript
                  sean69 Community Member
                  ummmm . yea - am I missing or not understanding something? that looks almost exactly what I have already...

Maybe I did not explain my case clearly enough... what I am trying to do is avoid extra required attributes. I want to be able to pass the function as much or as little as required, i.e. just the to and type attribute, or possibly all the attributes - bcc...

So basically none of the arguments [but the 'to' attrib] can be required. Really something that I would love to end up with is something like this:

• 6. Re: cfmail --&gt; cfscript
                    Community Member
                    > So basically none of the arguments [but the 'to' attrib] can be required.
                    > Really something that I would love to end up with is something like this:

> <cfmail #mailargs# >

And as Azadi said: it can't be done with CFMX6.1. So you can want to do it
                    as much as you like, but that doesn't change the fact *you can't*. One
                    cannot build a CFML tag like that, with runtime arguments providing the
                    "body" of the tag. The source code has tobe syntactically correct *at
                    compile time*. Your variable doesn't exist until runtime. That's it.
                    There is no way around that.

So either upgrade to CF8, or... write a wrapper function which caters for
                    all permutations of required / optional arguments.

Or just stick with the tag.

What's the need to do it in <cfscript>? <cfmail> (esp if one considers
                    <cfmailpart> and <cfmailparam>) is one of the few bits of CF functionality
                    that actually *lends itself* to being implemented as a tag.

--
                    Adam