9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 3:25 AM by mistycat

Disc burn problem

mistycat

I recently downloaded Adobe Premiere Elements 12.  When I tried to burn an AVCHD dics the status line said "No media present" although there was a disc in the optical drive.  I was able to burn a DVD disc as the Status line read "Ready".  Please help.

• 1. Re: Disc burn problem
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mistycat

Typical drill suggestion, make sure that you try another DVD disc (brand and type).

Then determine if you can carry out the burn to folder for AVCHD. If that works and you are in a time crunch for your project, you can take the BDMV Folder in the saved folder and take it to DVD disc with the free ImgBurn program if your computer operating system is Windows.

You could go for a Premiere Elements 12 Help Menu/Sign Out (to deactivate the program), uninstall (via Control Panel), ccleaner run through https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner , reinstall.

Please consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Disc burn problem
            mistycat Level 1

Thank you for your advice. 

I tried another different brand DVD disc to no avail.

I did not understand all of the technical terms you used but this is what I did in dummy’s terms:

In the Publish+Share window of Premiere Elements I selected the “Computer   export files for viewing on computers” option.  In the next window I selected “AVCHD   Use for exporting AVCHD”, entered a file name and clicked save.  I located the file in the designated folder which was noted in the Type column as “AVCHD Video”.

I did not know where to find the BDVM folder or the ImgBurn program – my operating system is Windows.  Can you explain where to find these to a dummy?

I dragged the AVCHD Video into the Windows Media Player and burned a disc which I was then able to play back on my computer.  The quality of the replay was up to the standard of AVCHD discs I had burned using Premiere Elements on an older lap top which was very satisfactory.  However, the disc would not play on my DVD player.

Is there a way to burn a disc so it can be played on a DVD player? 

Many thanks for your help.

Mistycat

• 3. Re: Disc burn problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With your Publish+Share settings, you output an AVCHD file, and then burned a DVD-Data disc. That file WILL play on a computer, but not on a BD player, hooked to a TV.

You want to go to Publish+Share, then Disc, and there, choose AVCHD:

AVCHD_Disc.png

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Disc burn problem
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mistycat

Thanks for the follow up. Your questions about the program are normal for someone beginning with the program. We all learn by experience and need to navigate that learning curve.

The goal is to communicate, and I will rewrite until we do so that you can move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Let us go through your concerns

1. Is there a way to burn a disc so it can be played on a DVD player? 

No for AVCHD DVD. Yes, but it needs to be DVD-VIDEO (standard or widescreen) on DVD disc. Here you are restricted to a product with lesser resolution than the AVCHD burn to DVD disc. (Compare 720 x 480 NTSC for DVD-VIDEO with 1920 x 1080 for AVCHD). This factor involves the industry  standard structure of DVD-VIDEO and AVCHD. AVCHD DVD does not play back on a DVD player.

2. BDMV Folder.

Consider the BDMV Folder as a burn to disc matter (Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD  DVD disc). It does not apply to when you are exporting your Timeline to a file which is saved to the computer hard drive. From Premiere Elements, you can see the BDMV in two scenarios

a. Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD DVD disc. After the burn, if you have the disc in the burner tray, you can go to Computer and the drive that the disc is in, right click the drive, select Open. When you do, you will see the BDMV folder. Inside the BDMV folder are other folders. The STREAM folder contains the video in the 00000.m2ts file.

b. Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD Folder (4.7 GB). Obviously this is not a burn to disc. You will be creating a folder (BDMV) which is saved to the computer hard drive. You can use this BDMV Folder and ImgBurn program to put this BDMV on a DVD disc. You cannot take the BDMV Folder produced from the AVCHD burn to folder and put it on a DVD disc with Premiere Elements. You can even take this BDMV Folder and put it on a Blu-ray disc using ImgBurn.

If you want high definition video for playback on the TV, you will need a Blu-ray player which will play Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc (Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray) or AVCHD format on DVD disc (Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc (DVD). If you have the appropriate computer players, you can play back these types with computer players. AVCHD DVD is particular difficult at times to find a player for it (needed Blu-ray or sometime computer player).

Now for the matter of what you are doing when you take your Timeline content....

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

you are exporting the content to a file type, example, AVCHD video compression with .mp4 file extension or AVCHD video compression with .m2t file extension. But, you need to define the export settings, starting with Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD but followed by a preset to define the export settings. I suggest that you look at MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 default setting. Those settings can be customized under the Advanced Button/Video Tab Audio Tab of the preset that you select. The preset is a group of settings that will characterize your export end product.

Some get into the frustrating excerise of trying to put a file (.mp4, .mov, .m2t, or .m2ts) on a USB Flash Drive or memory card and insert that into the TV slot for that in order to get playback of the file on the TV. Finding the combination of file format on  USB Flash Drive/memory card that is supported by the player can be challenging.

Please review the above. If there are still parts of what I have written that you do not understand, please do not hesitate to ask for further clarification, pointing out where I need to rewrite.

I do not believe screenshots are necessary at this point, but, if any are needed, please let me know which ones would be the most helpful.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Disc burn problem
                  mistycat Level 1

Thanks for you time and advice.  I should mention I have been using Premiere Elements 11 satisfactorily on an older laptop and have burned AVCHD discs as described by Bill Hunt above.  Contrary to what you say these play satisfactorily on my flat screen TV through my recently purchased Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player.

The old laptop was rather slow so I purchased an new laptop with a faster processor, better graphis card and more memory.  When I downloaded Premiere Elements 12 I could not burn an AVCHD disc in the way described by Bill above.  The status line just says "media not present" even though there is a disc in the optical drive.  It almost seems as though the programme is not compatible with my computer or the is something in the set up of the computer that needs to be changed.

Mistycat

• 6. Re: Disc burn problem
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mistycat

Thanks for the update.

AVCHD DVD not being playable on a DVD player is widely accepted. It is not just what I say. Until your report now of you being able to play back AVCHD DVD on your new Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player, no one has reported this anywhere that I can find.

So your news is unique and suggests perhaps some very recent innovation by Panasonic in this area. What is the model of the Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player that you have which is giving playback of AVCHD on DVD? If this can be confirmed, this is highly significant information.

But, could you double check your information. Is it possible that your Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player is capable of burning content to AVCHD on DVD disc, but you need to take that disc to a Blu-ray player for playback of the AVCHD DVD? Another possibility is that there is a converter in what you are doing with the AVCHD DVD where the AVCHD is converted into MPEG2 and processes accordingly after that for DVD player compatibility? Is that a possibility?

Very interesting report that will be a great contribution to the Premiere Elements community for follow up.

As for Premiere Elements 12 and the no media present for the burn to AVCHD on DVD disc option, can you burn the Timeline content to AVCHD Folder 4.7 GB?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Disc burn problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mistycat,

Just for clarification, can you confirm that the multi-drive in the new laptop is BD-compliant? Most, but certainly not all, are nowadays. What is the model of multi-drive, and are their any firmware updates from the mfgr.?

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Disc burn problem
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Could you elaborate on your mention of "....multi-drive in the new laptop is BD-compliant?" question.

What does that have to do with burning AVCHD format to a DVD disc with a DVD burner?

I have not run into a situation where BD-complaint DVD burner is required for AVCHD burn to DVD. The burn to AVCHD or DVD-VIDEO on strictly DVD burner has always worked for me in conjunction with the Premiere Elements AVCHD DVD burn to as well as DVD-VIDEO burn to.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Disc burn problem
                          mistycat Level 1

My DVD Recorder is a Panasonic Model No. DMR-XW390 which I bought nearly 12 months ago. You can access a full copy of the instruction manual online.  You will be able to find your answers in there.  My new laptopo has a SuperMulti DVD-RW burner.

I thank you both for your time but I think I will revert to using the software that came with my Cancorder.  It is not as easy to use and has a habit of stopping and so losing the work done on a video.  It does produce an acceptable result.

I want to cease my involvement in this discussion.

Mistycat