6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 5:53 AM by JEShort01

New System Build - More Cores or Faster Processor?

Reel Inspirations Level 1

Hey all,

I'm specing out a PC system and will decide if I'm going to stay stricltly Apple and go with the new Mac Pro or build a PC machine that will rock with After Effects and Cinema 4D.

I mostly produce motion graphics using After Effects and Cinema 4D.

I want something that's going to kill RAM previews so I don't have to wait as long.

My question is, should I go for 12-cores and the 2.7GHz processor or 8-cores and the 3.4GHz processor?

2x Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.7GHz LGA 2011 130W 12-Core Server Processors

ASUS Z9PE Motherboard

128 GB DDR3 REG ECC System Memory

480 GB SSD DRIVE

Black Quiet Tower

Nvidia GTX 780 Ti

700 Watt Power Supply

LG Blu-Ray Drive

Windows 7 or 8

USB 3.0 Interface Card

E-SATA External Interface Connection

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: New System Build - More Cores or Faster Processor?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Between those two choices, I'd go for the faster clock speed. There are some things that are single-threaded, so the faster clock speed will help those in a way that more CPUs won't.

• 2. Re: New System Build - More Cores or Faster Processor?
            JEShort01 Level 4

Jim,

I second Todd for the cpu choice. The e5-2687w v2 also has a higher TDP (150 watts vs. 130 watts) over the e5-2697 v2, which at times would likely eek out just a bit more Intel "turbo" speed. Another benefit to the 8-core is that it is less expensive!

Also, with USB 3.0 included with the Asus motherboard, why the USB 3.0 interface card?

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: New System Build - More Cores or Faster Processor?

Now, I'm' actually considering the Core i7 4930K overclocked to 4.5 Ghz from ADK. It's about half the price of the dual Xeon 12-core system, and I think it would actually serve me better in the long run even though I will be doing a bit of C4D work.

Thoughts?

• 4. Re: New System Build - More Cores or Faster Processor?
                JEShort01 Level 4

Jim,

The OC'd 4930k build you suggest from ADK is most likely an excellent fit for you.

As a dual-Xeon build with the higher speed rated CPUs would cost way more than 2 times a 4930k build (more like 3 to 4 times I would think?), possibly you are considering a lesser performing system from a first class builder of video editing systems vs. a high-end build it yourself and support it yourself option.

You can completely count on ADK (or Apple) to provide you with a solid, tested system and you will also receive excellent support on the core system hardware itself.

ADK actually extends far beyond Apple support by being knowledgeable of the software tools of the trade as well as hardware add-ons such as Black Magic, multi-track sound solutions, etc.

Finally, if my assumptions were off and you really are PC-build savy, you know Windows very well already, and you are not intimidated about doing a dual-Xeon build, then that too could remain a viable option. Additionally whether you use ADK or do a self-build, you could always start with the dual Xeon board and only populate it with a single CPU and have the grow-room to add a second cpu later on on an as needed basis. If you ever plan to do lots of 4k+ work down the road, then the raw # of available cores could be a factor.

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: New System Build - More Cores or Faster Processor?

Thanks for the confirmation Jim,

Actually, the dual Xeon system was only about twice the price of the OC i7 system.

I've built my own systems from Pentium Pro 200 - a Dual AMD system about 6-7 years ago. After that, I jumped over to a MacPro because of Final Cut Pro and Vista.

I LOVE my Mac. It works. I had to always reinstall Windows XP every once in a while to keep things running smooth. I've heard that's changed now.

It's a tough decision on the computer. After speaking with Eric at ADK, he concurrs with me now that the OC 4930K is probably the best bet.

The two things I told him that really mattered to me were RAM preview speed in After Effects and vieport playback speed in Cinema 4D.

Not sure I'm going to be doing a lot of 4K in the future, and that's what makes me hesitate to drop almost $11,000 on a system.

Also, because I use a lot of Red Giant plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks and Trapcode, according to Eric, those don't thread well so the extra cores on the dual Xeon machine wouldn't be working at all and I'd actually get faster performance on my OC 4930 rig becaue of the pure CPU clock speed advantage.

Eric is a wealth of information. I've been around computers since the 1980s and have a degree in computer science and I can tell you I rarely have someone impress me with their knowledge as much as Eric has.

Thanks again,

Jim

• 6. Re: New System Build - More Cores or Faster Processor?
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Sounds like you are in good hands - Eric is a great guy!

Regarding the Red Giant stuff, with the way CPUs and GPUs are helping speed up workflow massively, you should probably try real hard to find a fully Adobe grading solution. Even with a 6-core cpu, you have 12-cores at your disposal (with hyperthreads) and anything that only uses a single core will be slowing you down massively vs. a workflow that is fully multi-core aware. I have not had much time to play with the latest Adobe tools personally, but possibly someone else can chime in for alternatives to the ever-so-popular Red Giant plug-ins.

Good luck with your decisions, and please do report back here how to let everything know how everything works out for you in the end.

Regards,

Jim