3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 7:36 PM by Cari Jansen

Why does InDesign keep freezing?

chatterville Level 1

InDesign is being impossible. I can't place a simple logo in an eBook because the program freezes. I am using CS6 on a Mac which is running Mavericks. My guess is that fonts are the culprit. This is what Console shows during the freez ups:

12/10/13 3:12:22.351 PM Adobe InDesign CS6[1727]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Times Roman" and got font with PostScript name "Times-Roman". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.

12/10/13 3:12:22.351 PM Adobe InDesign CS6[1727]: CoreText performance note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSuboptimalRequest to debug.

12/10/13 3:12:22.357 PM Adobe InDesign CS6[1727]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Arial" and got font with PostScript name "ArialMT". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.

Console suggests that I "only use PostScript names when calling this API." What does that mean and how do I execute?

• 1. Re: Why does InDesign keep freezing?
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Am not sure from your post what you've tried to narrow down / fix the issue. But here are a few things to try:

• Are you running any third party font management plug-ins in InDesign? -- uninstall/disable these
          • Does it only happen on jobs that use one particular font? -- reinstall the font
          • Delete InDesign preferences.
          • Try clearing the font-caches -- http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-fonts-mac-os-x.html
          • Does it only crash on one particular job? -- try saving as .idml and then reopening the .idml file in InDesign
          • And to rule out it is any kind of preference/system issue: create a new user account on your Mac, and run InDesign from that... does the same issue occur?

Hopeing that one of these will help.

Cari

• 2. Re: Why does InDesign keep freezing?
            chatterville Level 1

Hi Cari,

Thank you for your response. I think it must be a preference/system issue, because it works fine on other user accounts. What kind of preferences should I consider evaluating?

• 3. Re: Why does InDesign keep freezing?
              Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Delete preferences and caches first on the system that it fails on.

Also and this might sound weird: delete Quicktime preferences.

... you mention the crash occurs when placing the logo...

Have you tried this: Open up the logo in the program that it was created in ... e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator? Convert the fonts inside the logo to Outline, and save the logo with a new name, and try placing that into InDesign.  What's the file format /colour mode of the logo?

If that fails: copy and paste the logo content into a new document and save it again.

Let us know how you go.

Cari