Am not sure from your post what you've tried to narrow down / fix the issue. But here are a few things to try:
- Are you running any third party font management plug-ins in InDesign? -- uninstall/disable these
- Does it only happen on jobs that use one particular font? -- reinstall the font
- Delete InDesign preferences.
- Try clearing the font-caches -- http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-fonts-mac-os-x.html
- Does it only crash on one particular job? -- try saving as .idml and then reopening the .idml file in InDesign
- And to rule out it is any kind of preference/system issue: create a new user account on your Mac, and run InDesign from that... does the same issue occur?
Hopeing that one of these will help.
Thank you for your response. I think it must be a preference/system issue, because it works fine on other user accounts. What kind of preferences should I consider evaluating?
Delete preferences and caches first on the system that it fails on.
Also and this might sound weird: delete Quicktime preferences.
... you mention the crash occurs when placing the logo...
Have you tried this: Open up the logo in the program that it was created in ... e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator? Convert the fonts inside the logo to Outline, and save the logo with a new name, and try placing that into InDesign. What's the file format /colour mode of the logo?
If that fails: copy and paste the logo content into a new document and save it again.
Let us know how you go.