9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 10:30 AM by Bill Gehrke

No Mercury Playback Engine

JensenProductions

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro and I'd like to have the option of using the Mercury Playback Engine.   Can I install the needed hardware/software so I have that option?   FYI... my computer has a 2.4GHz Intel Core i5.  8gb RAM 1333MHz DDR3.  Graphics card is:  Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)  

• 1. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine
          George Fox Adobe Employee

Hi mjensen,

Thanks for contacting Adobe. If you don't have a supported graphics card, Premiere will fall back to the software version of the Mercury Playback engine. For a list of Mac graphics cards that are supported by the hardware version of the Mercury Playback Engine, see the Mac CUDA and Mac OpenCL sections on the Premiere Pro system requirements page here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

George Fox

Adobe

• 2. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine
            JensenProductions Level 1

Thanks George. 

Out of these two lists, which card would you recommend for my macbook pro computer?  (2.4GHz Intel Core i5.  8gb RAM 1333MHz DDR3.  Graphics card is:  Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)   I'd like to be somewhat cost-conscious but I want to be able to effectively use Adobe Premier CC, After Effects CC at the same time. 

MAC CUDA SUPPORTED CARDS:

• GeForce GTX 285
            • GeForce GTX 675MX
            • GeForce GTX 680
            • GeForce GTX 680MX
            • GeForce GT 650M
            • Quadro CX
            • Quadro FX 4800
            • Quadro 4000
            • Quadro K5000

MAC OPEN CL SUPPORTED CARDS:

• ATI Radeon HD 6750M
            • ATI Radeon HD 6770M
            • AMD Radeon HD 7950
            • GeForce GT 650M
            • GeForce GTX 675MX
            • GeForce GTX 680
            • GeForce GTX 680MX
            • Quadro K5000

Thank you!

• 3. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine
              George Fox Adobe Employee

Hi mjensen,

Unfortunately, selecting a specific card is outside of my expertise. I can move this forum thread to the Premiere Hardware forum, and someone there with more knowledge on the subject may be able to give you advice on which one to select. The forum you posted your question to is for questions relating to the Premiere Pro getting started tutorial. You could also contact Apple or an authorized Apple service center to inquire about the cost of installing the various cards. Another option is to go the the ATI and Nvidia web sites to learn more about the individual cards and thier prices. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sincerely,

George

• 4. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine

Awesome.  Thanks George.   I just finished the "Getting Started" tutorial and I loved it.   Very easy to follow.  I am very pleased I decided to make the switch to Premiere!  

Regards... and thanks for moving the discussion to the Hardware Forum.   I'll go check it out and see if I have any responses to my question yet. 

Mike Jensen

• 5. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not a Mac person but 99 times out of a hundred laptops computers can not be upgraded with a new GPU.  Most of the times they have a chip soldered on the motherboard.  Was your 2011 Macbook Pro available with any GPU processors other than the ND 3000?

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 6. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine

Hmm.. good info.  I was not aware that most laptops couldn't be upgraded with a new GPU.   I am not sure if there was another option for a different GPU processor when I bought my laptop.   I went through the Adobe Premiere Pro CC "How to Create a video story with Premiere Pro" with my laptop in it's current configuration (using the Mercury Playback Engine Software Only) and it performed fairly well.   The footage was 720p h.264 footage.  Maybe this is as good as it gets for my 2001 macbook pro?    Thanks Bill!    -Mike Jensen

• 7. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Maybe this is as good as it gets for my 2001 macbook pro?

Have you asked at an Apple store, or in an Apple forum, if it is even POSSIBLE to upgrade your model?

Based on past discussion, I **think** some laptops have an "access door" in the bottom for upgrades, but since I don't have a laptop (and I build my own desktop computers) I really don't know any details

I think you need to check with Apple for your model

• 8. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine

Good thoughts John.  I'll get with Apple today and see if they can shed some light on whether it's even possible to upgrade the graphics card.  

Thanks. 

Mike

• 9. Re: No Mercury Playback Engine
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let us know if there is any way to upgrade.