5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 4:39 AM by Laubender

Data Merge Question

sea_sparrow

Hi guys, I’m having trouble with data merge in Indesign with Excel.

So here are the screens from my Excel Data documents:

1. Course Code and Course Name             

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 1.39.04 PM.png

1. Course Code and UNIT CODE and UNIT NAME

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 1.40.45 PM.png

As you can see, the course code (e.g 21945VIC) remains until ROW 20, with a DIFFERENT unit code (e.g V8QU117, VPAU497...), unit name and unit hours. And that happens through the entire document with DIFFERENT course code (e.g 21945VIC, 22128VIC, CPC30111). Also the number of rows varies.

How can I make an automatic data merge in InDesign to make it work and look like this? :

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 1. Re: Data Merge Question
          MW Design Level 4

I'm not understanding the problem. One row in Excel is going to one row in ID.

Is the issue the formatting in ID?

• 2. Re: Data Merge Question
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Looks to me as if you want separate pages for each "course code" section. Data Merge is strictly a one record, one output module and is not capable of looking at the actual data and sorting in any way.

One or more of the commercial catalog plugins might be able to do this, or you can break the data into sections by specifying a range of records to merge, or you can change the way you put together the records in the data file so that each course code is a single line.

• 3. Re: Data Merge Question
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@sea_sparrow – all that can be done with scripting InDesign.

Loading the Excel document, splitting the sections, making individual tables, applying the headline and the header row, doing the layout of the table, let all individual tables flow in one story or individual InDesign files for every table…

You could send me a PM to get an offer.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Data Merge Question
                Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

@OP:

This is an issue of trying to do a one-to-many relationship database merge in InDesign (e.g. one course can have many unit codes). InDesign's Data Merge can only handle one-to-one relationship database merges.

This has been illustrated in another recent post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5888625#5888625

I'd go with Uwe's suggestion of simply importing the table from excel into indesign as flowing text and format the file from there.

• 5. Re: Data Merge Question
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And it depends on the number of single tables, if automating this by script will do you a favour…
                  If its a task you have to perform eg. every month, it could be worth the effort, too.

Uwe