12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 8:47 AM by Laubender

What's wrong with Adobe?

GraphicsGeezer Level 1

What kind of company produces dialog boxes that look like this one:

shit.jpg

How uselessly uninformative can anyting be? Column on the left can't be expanded so I can't read it because I don't know what Transpar...y means.   And Adobe doesn't get it because they're a bunch of subhuan geeks who tink in terms  of abbrevs lk ths. W cnt ths stpd cmpny lrn h t cmmicate? Fk u u stpd shthds. Ur a bnch of a...h**ls

• 1. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you think that something is a bug, you should inform Adobe on this:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

You should tell them:

1. Operating System and version
          2. Computer used
          3. Screen Size, Memory, etc.
          4. Program, version, build (the small number after the dots like 13.2.506, which is found in about the program)
          5. What you do to get the problem
          6. What you expect instead

Only when they know what is disturbing the users they can repair it. And even if they think it is a feature and many users see it as a bug they might reconsider to change it.

• 2. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
            GraphicsGeezer Level 1

So u dnt mnd rdg abbrev txt?

• 3. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So it can't be that some kind of error happened with your version of InDesign that caused this behaviour?

You didn't look into how to resolve issues with Panels not working as expected???

You didn't right click that information pane and try some Panel Options???

You didn't try to reset your preferences???

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Take a chill pill and relax with the expletives - calmly explain your problem and ask how it may be resolved.

Sometimes things don't work as expected, and most of the time there's a way to fix it.

In the mean time take a look at this helpful post on how to get help quickly

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419406

• 4. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
                GraphicsGeezer Level 1

You're right. Just because Adobe is arrogant, incompetent and stupid doesn't mean I should get mad. If there was another software company competing with Adobe I don't imagine my user experience would be quite so frustrating.

Your response was helpful.

• 5. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?

GraphicsGeezer wrote:

Just because Adobe is arrogant, incompetent...

How???

I have never used a piece of software that hasn't malfunctioned in my entire time usng computers - since the early 1980s.

Software and machines can error.

That's why we have ways to fix them.

There are plenty of competitors to Adobe.

Corel

Quark

Scribus

Xara

Serif Page Plus

and others

Nobody is forcing you to use Adobe software.

If you want to make a complaint then complain to Adobe - they have email addresses.

Making the complaint on the forums is not going to get you anywhere as this is a User-to-User forum.

And probably name-calling and petulant behaviour will probably not go down well with other users of the forum, resulting in you not getting help at future requests.

Where at times Adobe staff do frequent the forums - they are not obliged to help.

Remember it's a user-to-user forum:

We are all users of the software trying to help each other out.

A bit of courtesy goes a long way.

• 6. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
                    GraphicsGeezer Level 1

I'm not complaining about the software. I'm being whiny and petulant about Adobe's lack of technical support. I suppose I could complain to Adobe but how? They have a few 'Feedback' forms and you can ask on the chat line but I'm frustrated with what I see as a policy of relying on the upaid users of this forum for technical support and not providing it elsewhere. The people on the chatline are no closer to the policy makers than you or I.

Just trying to find technical support for an issue is an exercise in frustration. This seems common with software developers but with Adobe I'd expect more. I've heard others call Adobe a 'lazy company'. In terms of technical support and user experience I'd agree.

• 7. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
                      John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe is arrogant, incompetent and stupid...

Hey I guess Mitt Romney was right! Corporations really are people.

• 8. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?

I've never called technical support so I wouldn't know.

I had formal training in Quark and migrated to InDesign.

Took a bit of a learning curve from Quark to Cs2 - and made a lot of friends along the way by frequenting blogs, like InDesignSecrets and others.

I agree though - the Adobe Help page really doesn't offer any troubleshooting tips for general things.

Maybe we can get a link to the FAQ on these forums posted to the Help pages.

• 9. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

GraphicsGeezer wrote:

I'm frustrated with what I see as a policy of relying on the upaid users of this forum for technical support and not providing it elsewhere.

We're frustrated by that, too.

But the upside is you actually do get some pretty good support here, right? At least we know the program and aren't just reading from a script.

• 10. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
                            GraphicsGeezer Level 1

Support is excellent.

• 11. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

by the way, did resetting the prefs solve this for you? I think the half of the screen that is supposed to be truncating in the Info window (that looks like Link info to me) is the stuff on the right, and the tags should all be shown in full.

• 12. Re: What's wrong with Adobe?
                                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could see in this thread, that it should be possible to have a better view of that panel:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5886951#5886951

Here a direct link to the screenshot:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-5886951-516529/more+that+108.png

So, something could be wrong on your end…

Uwe