22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 5:27 AM by Anita Lima

Master Pages - InDesign CC

Anita Lima Level 1

I have been trying to use Master Pages in InDesign for sometime now. On a few occasions the feature works but generally speaking, it is impossible to do so. Thus making the creation of documents hard going when one has to amend each individual page!!!!!!

Also, why is everything crashing all the time it's a nightmare!  Can you please help?

• 1. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, do you have the 9.1 update for CC installed? It should not be crashing, so if you are up to date and it still crashes regualrly, then there is some sort of problem that needs to be addressed, and we'll need full information about your system, as well as a crash report (which should be posted on Pastebin.com, not here, then linked here) if you have one.

As far as master pages, your description is too vague to address a problem, but in general, you should only place objects on a master page that you want to appear on multiple pages, and uusually only if you want them to appear unchanged. That's how master pages function.

• 2. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
            Anita Lima Level 1

Dear Peter Spier

Many thanks for responding!

All my apps are up-to-date as I have uninstalled CC and reinstalled so many times that I have lost count. Not only that I make a point of checking for updates on a daily basis!

I know there is a problem to be addressed! I have had my Mac checked out and there’s no problem with my machine or other software. I was told by the engineer that it was the Adobe software definitely not my machine. This has been going on for quite a while, so perhaps you can understand my exasperation at this endless problem.

With respect, I know only too well how to use Master Pages. I started using InDesign with version CS3, granted in was on a friend’s machine but I have since been using InDesign on my own machine, Versions: CS5, CS5.5, CS6 and CC.

Furthermore, can I ask why on earth would I be getting the message from Adobe “no internet connection” when there’s no problem with my internet connection? My IPad was sitting next to my computer at the time and there was no problem with that either! Gremlins abound especially with Adobe and the company’s getting as bad as Microsoft and that’s saying something.

Also, it would be a good thing if Adobe and Apple could have a conversation sometime, especially when an operating system is going to be updated.

I know software has teething problems, but these glitches are bordering on the ridiculous! BTW, don’t forget Illustrator and Photoshop - they’re not exempt!

Kind regards

Anita

P.S. This morning (Thursday 12 December 2013) InDesign CC was reinstalled and updated…once again!!!!!

• 3. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

What specific problems are you having with master pages?

• 4. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                Anita Lima Level 1

Dear Peter Spier

In my rant, I failed to mention the fact that it is impossible to click on the Master Page in InDesign therefore, not a single thing can be placed on this page.  So, when it comes to coordinating the colour scheme within a document, one has to be do it page by page.

Kind regards

Anita

• 5. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                  Anita Lima Level 1

Sorry for the garbled message. 

It is impossible to use the Master Pages. When I click on a Master, highlighting of the page doesn’t appear within the Master Box. And when I try to place a background colour, the colour appears not on the Master but on the first page of the doc.

So, when I want to place a background colour and/or logo, I have to do it page by page throughout the document, which is ridiculous.

Kind regards

Anita

• 6. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                    Danny Whitehead. Level 4

By 'click on the Master Page in InDesign', do you mean trying to edit a Master Page by double clicking on its icon in the Pages panel? If so, what happens when you do?

• 7. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC

Sadly, there are a lot of users who are having problems with CC on Macs, mostly with Mavericks. The Adobe engineers are working on identifying and resolving problems, but it's going much slower than anyone would like.

And keep in mind that this is a user-to-user forum so you are ranting to other users, not talking to Adobe staff, and we can only do what users are able to do. The more information you give us the better we can help, but we may not be able to solve all of the problems.

Did you run the cleaner tool before reinstalling? Did you remove the preferences? Have you checked for software conflicts by starting in Safe Mode? have you checked to see if the behavior is different in a new user account? Do you have a browser running? Do you use a font manager (which one)? Do you use a Wacom tablet?

• 8. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                        Anita Lima Level 1

Exactly! I double click, sorry I should have mentioned that, and the master page itself is highlighted but the title on the left hand side of box is not. And when I try to place different elements, I am prevented from editing any of the master pages.

Kind regards

Anita

• 9. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                          Anita Lima Level 1

Sorry I am exasperated with InDesign.

The software shunts me off to the first page of the doc.

Kind regards

Anita

• 10. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                            Anita Lima Level 1

I am so sorry for ranting, it’s just driving me nuts!

It has been an absolute nightmare with Mavericks!

And Illustrator - I just don’t bother with it anymore - it’s too much hassle and I end up installing again! The same goes for Photoshop. 

Lightroom is the only software that works properly on my machine!

I ran the cleaner tool before reinstalling just to make sure that any glitches were binned. And I have carried out all the exercises you suggest before contacting you.

The browser’s not running and the Wacom tablet I have uninstalled and cleaned. And I don’t use a Font manager, as I try to avoid problems at all costs.

Kind regards

Anita

• 11. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC

Anita Lima wrote:

Exactly! I double click, sorry I should have mentioned that, and the master page itself is highlighted but the title on the left hand side of box is not.

Try double clicking the name of the master instead, as a workaround.

• 12. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC

Did you remove the Wacom drivers from the system? There are known issues with them.

And ID behaves the same in both a new user and in safe mode?

• 13. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                  Anita Lima Level 1

I have!  I have tried everything - it won’t work and it’s losing me money!

I always double click, firstly,  on the title of the Master Page and then the icon of the page itself and neither works! 

In fact double clicking is very difficult for some reason in InDesign. BTW, I have tried 3 different mice - wired and wireless!

Kind regards

Anita

• 14. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                    Anita Lima Level 1

Yes, I did! 

My system is Wacom-free!

Kind regards

Anita

• 15. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                      Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

It definitely sounds like you're having issues with the software/hardware. As a workaround, have you tried going to the master page using the page navigation menu in the lower-left corner of your screen? Any different behavior?

• 16. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC

You might be in that group of users for whom CC just is not a viable option n your hardware configuration (and no, I don't know why it works for some people and not for others who seem to have similar configurations). You can also download and use CS6 as part of the subscription until Adobe gets this mess straightened out.

• 17. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                          Anita Lima Level 1

Hi Chad

Yes, I’ve tried that.  In fact, I tried numerous things before I got in touch with the forum.

I have even had my machine checked out by an engineer and he says there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it…….. and I believe him because it’s only Adobe that has gremlins!

In fact, I’ve just uninstalled Photoshop for the millionth time because it froze again. And I don’t even bother with Illustrator because that’s a lost cause!

As I mentioned previously, the only Adobe software that works on my machine is Lightroom!!   I’ve got to laugh otherwise I’ll cry!

Kind regards

Anita

• 18. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                            Anita Lima Level 1

I’ve been a CC subscriber since August 2012 and CC was working fine then!  It’s only the last 4 months that things have gone haywire. More so, since the Apple upgrade to Mavericks. As I said previously, it’s been a nightmare…….!

Is this a geographical problem?  I am based in the UK.

Many thanks for all your help - I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Anita

• 19. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                              Anita Lima Level 1

I just had a thought! 

Is Apple going to launch its own graphic design software?

Kind regards

Anita

• 20. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC

I'm not aware that the problems are affected by region, but it's possible.

So you upgraded the machine to mavericks? Did you do that in-place, or erase and install? Inplce upgrades are a big gamble with Adobe products. You always need to reinstall them after any OS upgrade, and there's no guarantee that even that is going to work with an in-place OS upgrade.

• 21. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                                  Anita Lima Level 1

Before  I upgraded to Mavericks, I uninstalled Adobe CC and cleaned.

In the past, with my Windows machine, there were always problems so I make a point of uninstalling everything to avoid any catastrophes.

Kind regards

Anita

• 22. Re: Master Pages - InDesign CC
                                                    Anita Lima Level 1

Unfortunately, at the moment Adobe CC doesn’t like Apple Mavericks and vice versa.

Also, it might be that I am on the wrong side of the pond!

Kind regards

Anita