4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2013 9:16 AM by David W. Goodrich

How can I enable CJK typesetting options in English version of InDesign CS6?

Hairy How

Hi,

I've installed InDesign CS6 recently in English (International). I need to typeset a Chinese text vertically.

I've heard of shareware plugins like "World Tools Pro" that can enable CJK special typesetting options, but I need a cheaper approach.

Does anyone know how to typeset CJK text with a freeware plugin or internally without plugins?

• 1. Re: How can I enable CJK typesetting options in English version of InDesign CS6?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, I don't believe it's possible with InDesign CS6 without plug-ins. The plug-ins aren't free because they require time for a developer to create them and support them.

• 2. Re: How can I enable CJK typesetting options in English version of InDesign CS6?
            David W. Goodrich Level 3

Well, back in PageMaker days I occasionally strung together a series of columns one character wide, and I've done that a few times in ID.  Or, if you have AI, you can use its CJK features, and place the AI file(s) in ID.  Alternatively, it looks as though the TransPacific (formerly Techart) templates are still available.

If you need more CJK than you can handle conveniently with those workarounds then I expect World Tools Pro would quickly repay its modest cost (and note that it isn't shareware).

David

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I enable CJK typesetting options in English version of InDesign CS6?
              Hairy How Level 1

Thank you for your prompt reply! I understand that it's not easy for developers to make a plug-in without profit, especially in the Creative industry nowadays... So maybe a "free" plug-in is not what I should demand for, right?

I've heard of a way to "sort of" enable the CJK editing options by playing some regedit magic! (HERE) But I hate this because it changes my entire UI into other language... (well I'm a Chinese and English reader but I've stuck to English version of InDesign for a long time... ) So may someone suggest some other possible ways to change settings internally like regedit-ing other than plugins?

BTW, when googleing, somebody actually says that using a Chinese/Japanese/Korean version of Microsoft Word to type the CJK text and copying it to Id afterwards may work... Well I've tried but it seems to fail. Also someone suggests that since Illustrator's text box support some "pseudo-CJK options" (vertical text, rotating text, but the language can still NOT be recognised as CJK...), just copy the paragraph made in Illustrator to InDesign will work. But the latter method doesn't allow further editing of text. (most likely because the copied content is soon recognised as vector image in Id) Are these all true?

• 4. Re: How can I enable CJK typesetting options in English version of InDesign CS6?
                David W. Goodrich Level 3

As discussed elsewhere in these forums (for example, here), English-language ID doesn't come with CJK language attributes.  This isn't a big deal because those attributes don't do much in ID, which uses them to control hyphenation, and notably not to control layout.  Moreover, acquiring new language attributes is simple because ID will add them to its internal list when importing CJK text from MS Word (even English-language versions of MS Word will add those attributes to text typed in CJK fonts).

Western-language ID can read and write files from CJK versions, and thus has the smarts to process special CJK text-handling features, but the interface does not offer access to them.  Some are embodied in frames and styles, the basis for the TechArt templates.  Many more are available in World Tools Pro -- which also provides English-language access to ID's CJK text-handling features.

In contrast, English-language AI offers offer real CJK text handling, but AI's text engine is completely separate from ID's and works only within AI.  When you place an AI file in ID, you are essentially placing a PDF, which ID cannot edit.

1 person found this helpful