I am having problems creating a BluRay Disk from a project I had already used to create a BD disk from. I have read several of the posts regarding disc problems, but none are the same. I am going to give the recommended write to file approach and then burn it to disc; however would prefer to be able to create directly from PE. Here is the sequence of events:
1) Created a new project, imported media from file (a bunch of m2ts files). Created disk menu. Ready to go.
2) Inserted a BluRay Disc. Window popped up asking what to do with the disc. I selected Open in Finder. Mac shows 1 disc on my desktop for the BD.
3) Back to PE …. Selected Share -> Disc
4) Selected Bluray as the disc type. H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby was defaulted.
5) Checked the Fit Content to Disc box. It was unchecked and showed a ~21Mbps before I checked it. After I checked it, it changed to 24 Mbps and about a 9.5 GB file
6) Another Mac window popped up asking what to do with the disc….seems that as PE is checking the disc (to make sure it is BD vs. DVD), the Mac detects it as a discovered disc…
7) Selected burn and walked away for an hour and a half. Came back had a bluray that played great on my Sony player.
8) Decided to make a version on DVD to compare the quality.
9) Selected Share->Disc; inserted a DVD and accepted all the defaults which included the “fit to disc”. It reported a ~3GB file at 8 Mbps.
10) Selected Burn and had a disc about 40 minutes later. This too played well on my BluRay player, but not the same clarity.
11) Quit PE for the night….noticed that there were 3 or 4 disc images on my desktop…yet no disc in the burner. Ejected them all….all looks good.
12) came back the next day and decided to burn another BluRay from the same project
13) Inserted a blank BD into my burner. Window popped up asking what to do….said Open in Finder as I had done before. Same as before 1 disc on my desktop.
14) Open PE, selected my project, waited for everything to load. Went through the same steps. Same selection as before for BD (BluRay, Fit to Disc, H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby). Feeling confident since it had worked before, clicked Burn and went to bed.
15) Next morning woke up to find the disc still spinning and at 1%.
16) Hit Cancel. Ejected the disc and put it back in. PE said it was not blank. Checked it in Finder and sure enough, had a 6K file one it. Finder could not burn data to it either.
17) Bad disc maybe….tried another. Same problem….after about an hour goes to writing disc and sticks at 1%. After 20 minutes I cancelled.
18) In PE, cleared the rendered files (from the PE menu), exited PE. Checked the PE project directory for left over disc images (I think this had been a problem previously when I tried to burn a second DVD), didn’t find any. Emptied the garbage. Shutdown the Mac.
19) Booted back up and gave it another go with a third BD. This time I left the default of “Fit to Disc” unchecked, so a slightly lower sampling rate. Also, the second time the Mac popped up the window asking what to do with the disc. Same results.
20) Took out the disc, put a new disc in, burned some files to it from Finder….ok, the burner is working and the discs are probably fine (low probability that three would be bad and the fourth fine).
21) Ordered some more BluRay disks….since I had just made 3 coasters and one data disc I didn’t really need.
So now I am stuck. Not sure what to do. When this had happened earlier with a DVD, I went through the suggestions I got on this forum and ultimately ended up just creating a new project, re-importing the media and then burning to DVD. I don’t really want to go through that again. I can do that for this one since I didn’t put a lot of effort into creating the movie. However, I don’t know if that will work.
Seems it could be problem #2 from Steve Grisetti’s post on DVD problems….different tools competing for the drive (PE and Finder). However, I had not seen this problem before and I don’t see it with DVDs, only with BD.
Should I be selecting “Ignore” when the Mac pops up the dialog on the BD disc? Or should I pick open in PE from the application list instead of Open in Finder.
Here are the details on my system:
Macbook Pro Retina, 16 GB, 512 SSD. 2 Week old machine, all latest patches installed.
BluRay burner: Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB2.0
BluRay disks: Taiyo Yuden/JVC 25GB BD-R LTH Single Layer
Thanks for any help….