20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 9:53 AM by bedford falls RSS

Table of Contents for objects?

bedford falls

I am new to this so .... I am publishing a children's literature journal for individuals who work with children.  I have produced a Table of Contents using the layout feature in indesign cc.  Now I want to produce a table of contents for the children's illustrations (object styles not paragraph styles).  I have created a new paragraph style for those paragraphs that have greyscales anchored in them, but then the entire paragraph prints out in the table of content for each greyscale.  Any ideas?

Gary

• 2. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
          bedford falls Community Member

Michael

Thanks for your quick reply.  I will pass this along to someone who understanding the process better than myself.  I was hoping for some really neat indesign trick and maybe this is it and I just don't realize it.

Gary

• 3. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
            John Mensinger CommunityMVP
            ...but then the entire paragraph prints out in the table of content for each greyscale.

Right, that's how it works. The paragraph style targeted should be styling whatever you would want as the Table of Figures entry. So, I don't know if/how you title or caption those illustrations, but you need to style those titles/captions with a paragraph style, then target that style for the table. If there is no visible title or caption, then add a text frame to the page, type in whatever you want to appear as the table entry, and give the text a fill of None.

• 4. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
              P Spier CommunityMVP

Actaully, if what you are after is the image as the listing, it's pretty straightforward. Create a paragraph style to use as the key for the TOC, then crete a text frame and assign the new paragraph style. Anchor the image in this new frame as an inline anchored object, then anchor that frame in the running text wherever you want the illustration to appear.

What you have now is an anchored image nested inside an anchored text frame, and the TOC will pick up only the image.

• 5. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

I will work on all this tonight.  Thanks for the input!

Gary

• 6. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

Just wondering?  Do you have a relative (father?) named Peter Spier who was/is a children's award winning illustrator?.  If so. I had a wonderful day hosting him at an event a long time ago in what seems to be now another world.  Whether you are or aren't, thanks for the helping nature.

Gary

• 7. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
                    P Spier CommunityMVP

My uncle Franklin, who was in the publisher's advertising business for many years, claimed we were distant cousins, but I don't know if any of the family genealogists on my side have established the link absolutely.

I mostly get asked that question, by the way, by children's librarians and elementary school teachers. THe other Peter Spier's books were also a big part of my childhood. I met him once, myself, about 30 years ago, when he did a book signing at a local bookstore, but he wasn't terribly impressed with me, or my claim to kinship. He did have a sense of humor, though -- told me when people asked me to sign books I should charge them $.25.

• 8. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

Thank you for the hilarious reply.  I'm sure he would be impressed with your effort to aid others as you are doing now.

Gary

• 9. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
                        sandeecohen CommunityMVP

Gary,

I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by a table of contents for the children's illustrations.

Do you want a list of all the captions associated with the illustrations?

Or a list of all the names of the illustrations?

I have a couple of ideas as to what you could do, but I need to know what your layout is and what you want.

• 10. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

Sandee

The illustrations do not have captions printed in the journal.  The only thing printed is the grayscale that came out of Photoshop. I will try and send you a sample page latter today.

Gry

• 11. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

Here is a sample page.  Hope this helps in explaining the issue.  In many of the other sections the illustrations have no relevant information around them.  For instance an article on school stories and the illustrations are from books not even mentioned in the article.

Thanks

Gary

• 12. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
                              John Mensinger CommunityMVP

Okay, so unless I missed something, the question remains: What do you want shown (as entries) in the Table of Illustrations? Titles? Captions? Images?

• 13. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
                                P Spier CommunityMVP

Gary, there was no sample page, perhaps becasue you tried to send it as an attachment, which is not enabled on the forum.

You can provide a link to a file stores on a server, like dropbox, or you can embed an image in a post using the camera icon onthe web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 14. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

In the table of contents we would have the name of the illustrator, the book the illustration was from and the page in the journal where the illustration appears.

It would be neat if the illustrator's website could be listed.  I have not read up on tables but it feels like I am headed that way.

Thanks Gary

• 15. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

You are right.  I did try to send it as an attachment.  I will try and setup the dropbox procedure over the weekend.

Gary

• 16. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
                                      sandeecohen CommunityMVP

First, where are you getting the information about the image from? Is it in the paragraph that holds the image? If so, you need to separate that paragraph from the rest of the text with a paragraph return.

Next, you can capture that information for a TOC, but you're not going to have it divided up into chunks that could be in a table.

There is a technique that would allow you to capture the meta data for the illustrations and then put that into hidden captions that could then be used to generate the TOC, but that's only a viable technique if you have hundreds of illustrations in a document.

• 17. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
                                        P Spier CommunityMVP

It might turn out to be easier to add all that information as "hidden" (really, non-printing) text in a paragraph elsewhere on the page and assign it a unique style to pick up for the TOC. I do that for advertiser indexes where I want to list the page where an ad, which is a graphic object, is located.

I create a text frame and set it's attributes to non-printing, then define a paragraph style that uses nice red type so it stands out and I don't forget it's there in layout view, and I goupt that frame with the image. No output for the non-printing frame, but it can be picked up in a TOC.

• 18. Re: Table of Contents for objects?
                                          sandeecohen CommunityMVP

Nice idea Peter.

I have used text frames on a hidden layer, which the TOC can find. But your idea is better as you can still see the text on the page.

• 19. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

To everyone

I like peter's idea also. (even though I don't have an opinion that even I value).  I am going to work on it over the weekend.  Grouping the hidden text with the image is great as the images tend to move around during the layout process.  And again this forum help process is amazing.

Gary

P.S. I hope to have the journal ready to send to potential advertisers by the end of the year.  I have a good relationship to most of them as I tend to buy large quantities of their books for projects.  Most have indicated a willingness to purchase adds.  If you would like me to send you a copy and give you a free year subscription (4 issues a year), please provide me your mailing address.  You will find out quickly I am passionate about supporting reading programs.

• 20. Re: Table of Contents for objects?

Sorry to take so long to get back to all of you.  Peter's solution worked great.  There were a few little issues, but some simple indesign logic was all that was needed to clear them.  Thanks again!