14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2013 12:29 PM by NorfolkPete

How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?

NorfolkPete

Hi there,

I have been reading lots about multi cam and how to synchronize videos however I can't seem to find let alone give this a go.

What it is:

I have 1 main cam recoding a presentation.

I then have a second cam at a different angle recording exactly the same presentation. Occasionally I'll pause this second cam to zoom in and then resume recoding so the start time is different.

The idea is that I would like to show a presentation with a different angel and close up at intervals.

I am in Expert mode and have watched videos showing how to Merge clips automatically using audio.

So I have in Video 1 in Expert Mode and then a clip in Video 2.

I click on Audio 1 Alt Click and the Shift Alt Click Audio 2 and then right click but nothing appears ref Synchronize.

Am I doing this correctly?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Multicamera editing is much easier with Premiere Pro, which allows you to synchronize, view all and then select whichever angle you want at any given time.

In Premiere Elements, it's a bit more hunt-and-peck, as you've seen.

There is no easy (or wrong) way to do it. And your way is as good as any.

• 2. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
            NorfolkPete Level 1

Hi Steve,

Sorry I am using Premiere Elements 12 and can't make this work at all...thats my problem

Everyone keeps saying it's easy but I can't work it out.

• 3. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What version of Premiere Pro are you using?

A MOD can Move your post to the appropriate PrPro Forum.

There, Multi-cam will be explained in detail. It is a wonderful tool.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                NorfolkPete Level 1

Hi Bill,

I'm using Premiere Elements 12, only bought it last week and think it's great however finding it tough getting to grips with

• 5. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so you are not using Premiere Pro then.

As Steve points out above, syncing a multi-cam shoot in PrE involves a lot of critical listening and hand work. Premiere Pro does have a Multi-Cam function, which is sweet for such operations.

A couple of little tricks, that might make things easier would be to zoom into your Timeline (Expert Mode), working on smaller sections, then expand the vertical display of the Audio Tracks to see the Waveform Display better. One would just hover the Cursor over the separater lines in the Track's Header, until it turns into an equal sign with up/down arrowheads - then click and drag. With the Waveform Display larger, you should be able to see things much more clearly, to help in the alignment.

I also will lower the Opacity of the Camera 2 Video, when placed above the Camera 1 footage, to see "through" that upper Video better. This is temporary, just for editing, and needs to be set back to 100% Opacity.

Remember, when you have Camera 2's Video's Opacity set back to 100%, and have Trimmed that Clip, you do NOT need to replace the Video from Camera 1 - just have that Trimmed Clip on Video Track 2 above it, and that will be all that you see.

Good luck, and be patient with the multi-cam editing in PrE 12, as it will take time, but the results can be very rewarding.

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                    NorfolkPete Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks for that. I may need to look into Pro and possibly on Creative Cloud.

Alot of work and time could be saved if I used Pro

Thank you very much for your reply. Pete

• 7. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

NorfolkPete

How many cameras are involved in this planned multi camera editing for Premiere Elements 12? If no more than 3, Premiere Elements can do the job for you.

Lots has been written on the subject by those who got the job done with Premiere Elements.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                        NorfolkPete Level 1

Hi there,

There will only ever be 2 cameras, 1 that records everything and the other just small sections & close ups of the same presentation.

I can't say I have found anything that explains a straight forward way of doing this in Premiere Elements 12, they all seem to point to Pro.

Any thoughts would be great A.T

• 9. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I can't say I have found anything that explains a straight forward way of doing this in Premiere Elements 12, they all seem to point to Pro.

The reason for the lack of mention of Multi-cam in PrE, is that PrE lacks Multi-cam, which is a function available in PrPro.

One CAN do what amounts to multi-cam editing, but it is not automatically setup and done via an editing Workspace, as it is in PrPro, where one has up to four Monitors, and Sync-locking.

In PrE, one has much more "hand work" to do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

NorfolkPete

I have dealt with topic the topic of Premiere Elements and multicamera editing in depth at another forum that I used to frequent. I will try to get that information put together for your consideration. It is not all that hard to do, especially if you have only two cameras. You can judge for yourself when you get some information from the Premiere Elements perspective.

Can I assume that each camera recorded the same event but from a different angle? Did you use some sort of a clap device so that you can sync the videos from the cameras?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                              NorfolkPete Level 1

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your time regarding this.

As I may have a video a week to edit and now looking into this more extensively I think I am going to give Premier Pro a go as this seems to have this functionality built in.

Pro seems more complicated however I'm hoping perseverance will pay off in the end.

Thank you again for your time ref this.

Regards, Pete

• 12. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

If you do go the PrPro route, this FAQ Entry will give you some great starting points, to learn how to use that program:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878529?tstart=0

Personally, I feel that PrPro is actually a bit easier to use, BUT then I started with it, when I moved from AVID years ago. I still have to poke around a bit, in PrE, to get everything done. While there ARE more "big buttons," that do things automatically, I love the complete control when doing things manually, in PrPRo.

Good luck, and do explore the PrPro Multi-Cam operations (several good tutorials on AdobeTV and a few other locations).

Hunt

• 13. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

NorfolkPete

Since you appear to have made to your decision to invest your time in Premiere Pro for your multi-camera editing, so be it.

In that regard, I would suggest that you take a look at this Adobe document on multi-camera editing and Premiere Pro CS6...even includes the how to as a video tutorial

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/create-multi-camera-source-sequence.html

The Adobe Premiere Pro Forum here should be able help you will any questions that you may have on the details of the workflow described in this document/video tutorial.

I still believe that the use of Premiere Elements is viable. If you decide you want that how to information for that at a later date, please let us know.

But please let us know how you do with the Premiere Pro CS6 workflow that you pursue.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I Synchronize 2 Vidoes?
                                    NorfolkPete Level 1

Hi AT,

Yes I am trying my hand at Premiere Pro and as it's on trial I have time to get my head round it.

It certainly seems to have far more toys however I have got used to Premiere Elements and wont write it off as it has plenty going for it.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards, Pete