13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 8:17 AM by Noel Carboni

Save AS...?

Zebra Design Works

How do I effectively 'save as' in CC... when I revise a file, and issue the save as command, the system auto saves the file.... as if I just did the file>save only...where can I save a revised file to a specific location and possibly rename it?

• 1. Re: Save AS...?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

You have some kind of problem with your system.  File - Save As normally brings up a dialog offering you all the possibilities to select file types and enable/disable optional data to save (e.g., profile, layers, etc.).

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins or did you copy any plug-ins from a prior version of Photoshop?

-Noel:

• 2. Re: Save AS...?
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I'm wondering if this is for file safety (backup) or to keep different versions?  If the latter, you could perhaps look at Layer Comps

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7870a.h tml

I must admit, it's something I never use myself, and really should!

• 3. Re: Save AS...?
              Zebra Design Works Level 1

I am fairly certain that I do not have any 3rd party plug-ins. Would the

fact that I am utilizing cloud service have anything to so with this issue?

I was thinking that I could copy the revised file before saving it, then

renaming it (the copy)... susequently I would not save changes as asked in

the pop up window, which keeps the file saved as it was originally- but the

'save as' issue  is still I suspect a problem with my download.

My first thought was that maybe there was a change with CS6 that revises

the file 'save as' process.... similar to: there was the deletion of 'color

replacement'  that was do-able in earlier versions.

• 4. Re: Save AS...?
                Curt Y Level 7

There have been some problems with the Mavericks OS.  What are you using?

• 5. Re: Save AS...?

I am using XP.

By the way the recommendation earlier to check out layer comps was a great

tip. An ability that I was unaware of and will utilize.

Obviously I still need the 'file save as. command for general use. I wonder

if Bridge is affecting this....

• 6. Re: Save AS...?
                    Curt Y Level 7

I don't think XP is supported on the cloud.

• 7. Re: Save AS...?
                      Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

XP will be unsupported by Microsoft after April 1014.  You really need to read this article

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/end-support-help

• 8. Re: Save AS...?
                        JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Zebra Design Works Wrote:

Dec 12, 2013 4:11 PM

Save AS...?

How do I effectively 'save as' in CC... when I revise a file, and issue the save as command, the system auto saves the file.... as if I just did the file>save only...where can I save a revised file to a specific location and possibly rename it?

Dec 13, 2013 5:14 AM 

I am fairly certain that I do not have any 3rd party plug-ins. Would the fact that I am utilizing cloud service have anything to so with this issue?

I was thinking that I could copy the revised file before saving it, then renaming it (the copy)... susequently I would not save changes as asked in the pop up window, which keeps the file saved as it was originally- but the 'save as' issue  is still I suspect a problem with my download.

My first thought was that maybe there was a change with CS6 that revises the file 'save as' process.... similar to: there was the deletion of 'color replacement'  that was do-able in earlier versions.

Dec 14, 2013 2:00 PM  

I am using XP.

By the way the recommendation earlier to check out layer comps was a great tip. An ability that I was unaware of and will utilize.

Obviously I still need the 'file save as. command for general use. I wonder if Bridge is affecting this....

From what you have written I would guess your a new Photoshop user.  For some of the things you have written are not correct. You wrote you used the cloud but don't seem to know how that works.  You asked about CC then wondered if a change in CS6 revised something.  You wrote you use XP and CS6 is supported on xp but not all of it because CS6 does not support GPU on XP.   CC is Photoshop extended that has 3D support and requires GPU support CC is not supported on XP. Part of it may work on XP.

Photoshop is a complex application and has a huge learning curve.  I do not think that I would be wrong stating that it takes years to learn Photoshop well.   It take everyone some amount of time to even feel comfortable in Photoshop. How long that time is varies by individual.  Don't be afraid of Photoshop Play with it and ask questions here when stumped.  Look at some on the intro to Photoshop videos available all over the web.

One thing every one has to do in Photoshop is to develop some personal work-flow.  A way to use Photoshop that works well for what you want to accomplish.  You will be alter your work-flow as you learn more about Photoshop.  You will find the forum very helpful users here want to help others.

• 9. Re: Save AS...?

Look, I appreciate your comments and yes I am a somewhat new Photoshop

user... but I will tell you that new means I have taken Photoshop course

for years, and I mean years,,,

I have been adept at computing processes for 30 years, and yes there is a

big learning curve with Photoshop.... as with any macro higher level

software applications. This is mainly due to the changes and surprises

evolved with the Adobe system. I am being a bit dfensive here. I understand

the patience involved... and  I love the investment of the learning

curve....but you, honestly have not addressed my concern. Is my issue

because XP is not supported- something so simple as the ability to save a

file and rename the file, and apply the file/store the file where I want to

--- a very basic process the fact that I am not adept at Photoshop?

Honestly, and in reality I am not trying to be a Photoshop wizzard- I only

want to accomplish certain business goals utilizing what I expect to be a

useable tool = a tool that should accomodate what I am paying for at its

most basic level.

• 10. Re: Save AS...?
                            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

In that case. If you do not like the way save and save as work.  Write your own Photoshop script that works the way you want things to work. With Photoshop scripting you should be able to create what you need.  Try the Photoshop Scripting forum if you need help writting what you need.

• 11. Re: Save AS...?
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

On what operating system are you running what version of Photoshop where you're seeing the File - Save As dialog not coming up?

If you're (somehow) running Photoshop CC on Windows XP, well then OF COURSE it won't work.  Photoshop CC is not made for use with Windows XP.  It uses the Windows 7 (Vista and newer) style File dialogs. 

PhotoshopCCSaveAs.png

Note the Photoshop CC system requirements for operating system publshed here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/system-requirements-photoshop.html#Photo shop CC system requirements

I wasn't aware Adobe's installer would even allow you to install Photoshop CC on XP...  Did you do something tricky to get it there?

You'd probably like my books on configuring the newer operating systems "To Work".  It's really time to move off of XP.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Save AS...?

Thank you Noel for the information.... I am now  95% certain that the

OSystem is probably the issue... because of your and other's comments.

By the way, everything else relative to the application, including the

'save' command seems to be working well. Files are updated, I think as they

should be.

I will upgrade to a new version of Windows. When I downloaded and installed

CS6 via the Cloud subscription, I do not know why I was not warned about

having an unsupported operating system.... nothing tricky done to make

things work.

I will post my status when I make the changes...

Thank you again

Thanks to everyone who assisted

• 13. Re: Save AS...?
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

It's important to note that Photoshop CS6 is not Photoshop CC.  The Photoshop CS6 is version 13.x while Photoshop CC is 14.x.  Yes, it can be quite confusing, since Photoshop CS6 is available through the creative cloud subscription system.

Only 14.x is incompatible with Windows XP.  Photoshop CS6 (13.x) as I recall is supposed to work with Windows XP but with reduced functionality.

That said, it's possible they've started to port some newer things from Photoshop CC into the latest updates of Photoshop CS6, since they say that the Creative Cloud requires Windows 7 and above.

-Noel