5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 8:21 PM by rdufrene

opening a version 3 project with version 12

rdufrene

I don't seem to be able to open a version 3 PrEl saved project with my new version 12 PrEl. please advise.

• 1. Re: opening a version 3 project with version 12
          AFM21 Level 1

I was unable to open my PE version 4 projects with version 12.  I assumed it had something to do with the fact that the PE 4 projects were on Windows and I am now using version 12 on a Mac.  I didn't have that much invested in my version 4 ones, so just used the original source files.  So, I too am curious to hear if there is a solution.  I got an "unrecognized format" error.

• 2. Re: opening a version 3 project with version 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rdufrene

The Premiere Elements 3 projects are on Windows. Is Premiere Elements 12 on Windows or Mac?

If Premiere Elements 12 is on Mac, AFM21 has given you your answer, that is, projects/Windows are not capable with program on Mac.

It is often recommended that projects created in one program be completed in that program. There is a marked change from versions 3 to 12.

If only Windows is involved, some of the important questions that come up "Do you have the source media for the version 3 projects and where are they?" "Did you save those version 3 projects in a Trimmed or Copied Folder using the Project Archiver and is that what you are trying to use in 12?"

Please review and let us know more details of your situation, including do you still have version 3 to complete those projects in version 3.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: opening a version 3 project with version 12
              rdufrene Level 1

Both versions of PE were run in Windows.

unfortunately, I do not have source media, only files saved as "Adobe

Premiere Elements Project".

I did not keep version 3. Perhaps best bet is to locate a copy of version

3 and use that and resave in different format?

( I still own Version 8. Maybe that will open it?)

A.T. Romano http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano created the

discussion

"Re: opening a version 3 project with version 12"

To view the discussion, visit:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5926457#5926457

• 4. Re: opening a version 3 project with version 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

rdufrene

Even if you could open this Premiere Elements 3 project file in Premiere Elements 12, you would be left with colorful media offline displays in the opened project if you did not have the source media that was imported into the version 3 program. The  project.prel must have the trace back to the original media that was copied from the hard drive to it at the time of import into version 3.

If all of those considerations did not exist, I believe I saw one copy of Premiere Elements 3 for sale online today. There do not look like they are easy to find.

Please let us know if you had any success opening the project in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 that you mentioned.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: opening a version 3 project with version 12
                  rdufrene Level 1

thanks for you kind and quick response. very helpful.

I will try PE 8, if that doesn't go i'll try PE 3.

I will let you know what happens.

(I've gotta make it work; putting all the videos together and organized

will be a gift for my wife

A.T. Romano http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano created the

discussion

"Re: opening a version 3 project with version 12"

To view the discussion, visit:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5929327#5929327