7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 2:13 PM by Ellis home

Epub Not Accepting Paragraph Formatting

PhotogCda Level 1

I'm trying to create an ebook with InDesign CC.

The original document is saved as a Word file.  I've used the Chicago Style manual in writing so the text is formatted as:

Paragraph

[Break]

Paragraph

[Break]

[Start sidebar]

Paragraph

[End sidebar]

[Break]

The [Break] and [start/end sidebar] notations are actual text in the document.  Each paragraph is ended with a carriage return in the Word document.  I've placed the text into an InDesign document and have added the document to a Book project.

I manually removed the [Break] notations from the InDesign Document so there are physical spaces between the paragraphs. 

On exporting the book, the spaces between paragraphs are eliminated as is any other paragraph-specific formatting like firt line indent.  I've gone back in and edited the InDesign document for line/paragraph spacing and that didn't work.  I also added a hard carriage return within the InDesign document and that didn't work.  I can't get any spacing between paragraphs or lines in the epub.  If I export to PDF, all is fine.  But not in the epub document.  I'm using epub 3.0 as the version.  Character formatting (font, font size, font style, kerning, tracking, baseline shift) all seem to work fine. 

Please advise.  Thanks.