3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 12:50 PM by Josh_Corey

Sending form via email - can't see user responses in returned PDF

christineseekamp

I created a form in Form Central.  I chose "save as PDF form" and saved it on my computer.  I attached this form to an email and asked employees to fill out and send back to me as a pdf.  When people email me back their filled in form, I can only see the responses when I click on each individual box.  When I print the form, the responses do not print.

Would appreciate help since I distributed the forms to the company, and realized there was a problem as responses started to come in today (I only tested it on my computer and had no issues)

I would appreciate any help you can give.  Especially:

Why is this happening? 

How do I prevent this in the future?

Is there anything I can do to resolve the issue, without having to send out an updated form?

Christine

• 1. Re: Sending form via email - can't see user responses in returned PDF
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

The users filling out your PDF are not using Adobe Acrobat or the Free Adobe Reader to fill out your form - FormsCentral forms have to be filled out in Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

Also, make sure that you are also using Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat to view those PDFs.

The way to resolve this is to instruct your users to use Adobe Reader to fill out the form.

This FAQ touches on the issue, but mostly related to the Submit button not working, however the issues you describe are caused by not using Adobe Reader or Acrobat as well: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2653

Thanks,

Josh

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sending form via email - can't see user responses in returned PDF
            christineseekamp Level 1

Thank you for the quick reply, Josh. 

I had seen a similar question that pointed to the preview vs. reader issue, so I spoke with a few of the folks who submitted forms, and they said they did use reader when they filled out the forms.  So I don't think  that's what's going on.

Could it have something to do with the fact that my forms do not have a submit button, since I'm emailing the form to the user, and they are responding by attached their completed form via email?

Or maybe it's user error.  It also could be that the employees don't know the difference between reader and preview

Christine

• 3. Re: Sending form via email - can't see user responses in returned PDF
              Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Double check with the users who filled out the forms.  This is virtually always the reason for what you've described.  You can send me one of the PDFs at jcorey@adobe.com to take a look at it, but using Preview or another non-Adobe PDF viewer has always been the issue.

It would not have anything to do with the Submit button and users attaching their filled out PDF to email.

Thanks,

Josh